Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Possible New Civil War Blog? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Sep 8th, 2007 02:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bschulte
Siege of Petersburg Fan

Mana: 

Everyone,

As some of you know, I used to run the American Civil War Gaming & Reading blog on my own, with several guest bloggers appearing from time to time. I got out of the blogging business in February of 2007 after the constant pressure to produce something relevant and interesting several times per week got to me.

For many reasons, I would like to get into blogging the Civil War again. With that said, I am smart enough to realize that there is no way I would be able to sustain a blog on my own.

I am writing this post because I am looking for four or more "co-contributors" who would post as much as or more than myself. I've been thinking about the focus of this potential blog, and I'd really like it to be a group of "informed amateurs" such as myself with a main focus on book reviews, upcoming books, and (possibly) wargaming the Civil War. I myself would mainly be doing book reviews, magazine summaries, and maybe doing AARs of some Civil War wargames. I'd like a bit of a "snappy" title too, somehow tying in to the fact that this blog would be run by those who study the war as a hobby. Any suggestions about other possible areas to focus posts on would be welcome too, even if you are not interested in being a "co-contributor".

If you are still reading, you are probably thinking about joining up, and you might even be wondering about details. At this point, I don't have any. I'm merely brainstorming here and seeing if the interest is there to get this project off of the ground. I do know that I would like to host the blog at http://www.brettschulte.net, and that I'd like to use a WordPress installation. I have dabbled with an install of WordPress over the last few days and it looks pretty easy to use, or at the very least a lot more user friendly than Movable Type!

Anyone who thinks they might be interested or who has ideas for what they'd like to see this potential blog focus on should post here. I'll be notified by email when I get replies. If there is enough interest so that we can comfortably generate 2 posts per week without a problem, I will move forward on this idea. Let me know what you think!

Posted: Sat Sep 29th, 2007 01:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
sjh

Mana: 

Brett,

As an amateur enthusiast, I enjoy collecting CW books and CW art. Probably a stupid idea, but as a collector of limited edition CW prints for the past 15 years, I would love to see something in the area of modern CW art on a blog once in a while. I realize that it could not be a steady diet but maybe like a review of prints, new releases coming on the market, etc. once in a while would be nice.

There is a lot of good stuff out there but also a lot that is "historically lacking" in my humble opinion by people making money off of uninformed consumers. For what it's worth, I miss visiting your former site. Good luck.

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 01:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Daniel Sauerwein
SUVCW member/grad. student

Mana: 

Brett,

All I have to say is good luck and GO Cardinals (too bad about this year, but maybe with a shift in upper management, things will improve). Your post is interesting, as I am also looking for writers for my blog Civil War History, but typically have not had much luck in that area. I wish you luck in your project.

Current time is 10:12 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1414 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 25 queries executed.