Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

uniforms - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 04:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
igorbab

Mana: 

Hello from england i am in the process of painting an 25mm civil war army i wonder if any one knows of any sites with colour plates of both sides uniforms as i want to be as authentic as possible any info greatly appreciated.

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 05:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Hi igorbab, as a fellow Englishman and figure painter welcome.
I would strongly suggest you looking at the many reenactor websites. I've found the galleries very useful and these guys take authenticity very seriously. Do a google image search for either Confederate or Union Uniforms and it will bring up some good pics.
If you have any specific questions post them here and someone will be sure to help. I have a small library of Civil War uniform books and would be glad to help if I can.

Roger

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 05:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Roger

Mana: 

Have a look here http://www.fireandfury.co.uk/index.htm click on the gallery, I've heard there are some inaccuracies in the plates but it's a start.
Roger

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 06:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Wait a minute. Two strangers from England are conversing on a discussion board originating out of Tennessee about a hobby they have in common, and I'm sitting here in North Carolina reading about it? What next? Telephones that take pictures? :D

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 06:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Telephones that take pictures? No waaay!!!

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 06:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

PVTClewell-

Next thing you know, we'll tracking down their obscure relatives that fled to America.  ;)

Last edited on Sat Oct 6th, 2007 06:55 pm by Texas Defender

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 07:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Well actually, one of them died in Tacoma, Washington in 1936.

Isn't it supposed to work the other way round? we look for you to see what they were fleeing from:D

Roger

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 07:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Roger-

I'm having a joke with PVTClewell. Finding out about peoples' dead relatives is something that I do as a hobby. You can read some of our exchanges in the Genealogy section.

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 07:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Ok I'll take a look. I've done a bit of that myself.

Posted: Sat Oct 6th, 2007 09:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Hey Roger,

If Igorbab is doing 25mm figures, does that mean your 54mm stuff is twice as big as his? Is ego involved? Can you Americanize the mm's into inches for me? (Actually, some kind of indication of scale in one of your pictures — a ruler, maybe — would be nice).

On a more serious note, is the miniature community tight-knit? I once met a guy who roomed with us in Gettysburg for the Civil War Institute. He was from California, Paul Meusel (I think) who made and sold miniatures he'd done. This was years ago. Don't know if he's still doing it or not. Just wondered if the name rang any bells. His stuff was pretty good, too, like yours. He'd do entire multi-figure scenarios. Do you sell your stuff? Would you charge by the pound, Euro or dollar?

Hey TD,

I see a whole new line of genealogical research for you. Figure it'll be more difficult tracking down European heritage since their history only goes back about a billion years. Should be easier than tracing Clewells, though. You might even draw a connection for somebody to Cromwell or Nelson or Shakespeare or some such dude. That would be exciting.

Last edited on Sat Oct 6th, 2007 10:07 pm by PvtClewell

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2007 06:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Does size matter? I should say so!! Seriously though the different scales of figures bring their own problems and techniques. I've painted from 15mm through to 120mm and none are easier than others. I'll take a photo and post it with a figure standing next to a ruler, I think I have one with inches:P

Thanks to the www. painters and modellers from all over the world communicate but I can't say I've heard of Paul Meusel.

Funnily enough I have been commisioned to paint figures. It's not something I go out of my way to do and I've only done about half a dozen but if someone asks I would make the effort. £$€'s who cares:D

On the subject of genealogical research I wonder what the chances are of one of the 165 Newsome's on the CWSS being an ancestor. From what research I've done it's quite a local name to the North of England, particularly Yorkshire.

Now that would be good, painting a figure of one of my Civil war ancestors:D

Roger 

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2007 11:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

How does a guy in England get to be a Civil War buff? What's the attraction? I've heard the CW is pretty big stuff over there. We even have a guy from England come to the Civil War Institute in Gettysburg every year. Do you ever get to the States? Ever been to a CW battlefield? Do you really drink warm beer? On purpose? (but I digress).

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2007 11:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Roger

Mana: 

PvtClewell wrote: How does a guy in England get to be a Civil War buff? What's the attraction? I've heard the CW is pretty big stuff over there. We even have a guy from England come to the Civil War Institute in Gettysburg every year. Do you ever get to the States? Ever been to a CW battlefield? Do you really drink warm beer? On purpose? (but I digress).

Ok I'll try and answer until my countryman comes in.

I became interested due to the uniforms and model figures available. I can't paint a figure without knowing something of the background to the regiment and battles and campaigns they fought in so that was the start of it. 

And after all there was a large number of British immigrants fighting on both sides, British built ships, British arms and equipment and of course Arthur fremantle, Coldstream Guards:D

I have been to the States, during my time in the Navy. At that time I wasn't into the Civil War so didn't visit any battlefields. I did however find several bars that sold english beer that was warmed to the correct tempreture just for us:D

Roger 

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2007 03:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
igorbab

Mana: 

Thanx mate didn,t expect to get a reply from ol blighthy will try your suggestion thanx again.

Posted: Sun Oct 7th, 2007 05:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Roger

Mana: 

No problem at all, glad to help. If, after you've had a look around, you have some more specific questions post them up.

I probably got an answer in before anybody else 'cos we're in the same time zone:D

Roger

Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 06:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Everyone mentions Freemantle as a british observer, but their were others as well. General Wolseley, a Colonel at the time, also spent time as an military observer in the american CW. Wolseley eventully gained the rank of field marshall and command of the british army. Some may recognize his name as the man sent to relieve Chineese Gordon at Khartoum (in the movie about Khartoum starring Charleton Heston he is played by the same guy who portrayed the sergeant in ZULU). He was quoted as saying the two greatest men he ever knew were Charles Gordon and Robert E. Lee.

There you go, another little link between Britain and the Civil War.

Posted: Mon Oct 8th, 2007 06:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Also the fella the Wolseley helmet is named after.
I think I'll have search for some more British observers, sounds interesting.

Last edited on Mon Oct 8th, 2007 06:13 pm by Roger

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 10:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
igorbab

Mana: 

Morning from a rainy cold england, further to my last posting regarding uniforms could anyone out their give me any info on weapons used at the start of the war ie muskets ,swords, sabres, were pistols used ,carbines when were the first rifles used? any info much appreciated tt4n.

Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 12:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Here is a rather coplete listing of books referring to CW arms, it lacks any titles dealing purely w/ CS weapons.  I've put * next to a couple titles I would suggest first for the level of info you're asking about. While I marked the Smith book, be advised it has some minor but rather glaring errors that would have been caught by an editor w/ any knowledge whatsoever of the subject.

Good Luck

Barry, Craig L., The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy-Lock, Stock and Barrel,  Watchdog Press, 2006.

Bilby, Joseph G., Civil War Firearms , Combined Books, 1996.

Coates, Earl J. & McAulay, John D., Civil War Sharps Carbines & Rifles, Thomas Publications, 1996.

*Coates, Earl J. & Thomas, Dean S., An Introduction to Civil War Small Arms, Thomas Publications, 1990.

*Edwards, William B., Civil War Guns, The Stackpole Company, 1962.

Fuller, Claud E., The Rifled Musket, The Stackpole Company, 1958.

Fuller, Claud E., Springfield Shoulder Arms 1795-1865, S&S Firearms, 1986.

Houze, Herbert G., Colt Rifles & Muskets from 1847-1870, Krause Publications, 1996.

McAulay, John D., Rifles of the U.S. Army 1861-1906, Andrew Mowbray Publishers, 2003.

Reilly, Robert M., United States Military Small Arms 1816-1865, Eagle Press, 1970.

*Smith, Graham, Civil War Weapons, KP Books, 2005.

Sword, Wiley, Firepower from Abroad The Confederate Enfield and the LeMat Revolver, Andrew Mowbray Inc., 1986.

Sword, Wiley, Sharpshooter: Hiram Berdan, his famous Sharpshooters and their Sharps Rifles, Andrew Mowbray Inc., 1988.

Whisker, James A., Hartzler, Daniel D. & Yantz, Larry W., Firearms from Europe, Tom Rowe Books, 2002.

Last edited on Tue Oct 9th, 2007 12:39 pm by Johan Steele

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 04:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Here's another good site for uniforms and equipment,

http://www.historicalimagebank.com/gallery/main.php

Roger

Current time is 03:31 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4233 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 26 queries executed.