Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Petersburg FYI - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 9th, 2007 08:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Stopped off at Petersburg on my way down to Williamsburg for a golf trip this past Thursday. Just wanted to advise those planning on going that the park is closed to vehicle traffic, you can still walk the park. Fortunately The Crater is still accessible by car at the last stop but about 10 minutes from the visitors center by a detour route (well marked). Was surprised to see how small the actual crater was, by my naked eye calculations no more than 30 X 30 yards. Amazing how many union troops could be packed into such a small area. No wonder it was a turkey shoot for the confederate troops. Also the opening to tunnel has been preserved. As an aside, hadn't been to Jamestown since Hurricane Isabella came through 4 years ago. New Visitor center and archeologic center since the hurricane, these are'nt the centers at the entrance where the 3 replica ships are located. Beautiful site on the James River. Will definitely return when I'm over my post-traumatic bogey syndrome.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Doc:

The Crater has changed over the years and is not near as big as it once was, in fact it looks different in my lifetime.  When I first went there you could walk in it and it had no grass.  All the people walking in it and rain over the years have filled it in quite a bit.  The crater at Vicksburg is almost completely undiscernable now and it was a fairly good sized hole at one time too.

The soldiers themselves filled some of it in afterward to reconstruct the front lines too (at both places).

Last edited on Wed Oct 10th, 2007 02:25 pm by David White

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 03:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

David

Just found something on the net regarding the size of the crater, appros. 30 X 60 yards. Did the crater extend to the tree line left of the confederate trench or right toward the road? If anyone is interested in pictures just let me know.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 04:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
David White

Mana: 

Doc:

It's been a few years and I don't recall exactly where it all was even if you showed me a picture.  But a few weeks ago I think you were talking about the Civil War Traveller Podcasts on Itunes.  One of the new ones is a walking tour of the Crater and it talks about where the full crater was.

BTW, why are the other park roads closed is that a temporary thing?

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2007 05:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

David

Just the road at the entrance to the park, near the visitors center, to the exit on the other side of the park near at the crater. I think they're just resurfacing, didn't appear to be a permanent closure. Will have to download the podcast. Hopefully in the near future I'll have more time to walk it

Doc C

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2007 06:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
sweetea

Mana: 

The last time I was there, it was a different treeline than existed at the time of the battle.  I couldn't see the town for the trees!

Doesn't Pamplin Park own the area where the Vermonters broke through?  Why wasn't that particular parcel left in the hands of the state/federal government?

I did think that PP was doing a commendable job when I was there.

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2007 07:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

I've been to the Crater twice.  The last time was about 6 years ago and at that time, the mine entrance was closed off to visitors because of vandalism at the place.  Seems that some stupids lit a fire in there and also caused some additional cave-ins of the mine that apparently took some time to repair.  Was wondering what the site looked like today, after the repairs.  All I remember from my first visit was going down a  small stairway in the little gully leading to the mine entrance and being able to look a short way into the mine, behind some bars.  Does anyone know of any websites with recent pics?

connyankee

Posted: Fri Oct 12th, 2007 10:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Connyankee

Email me at mjc4321@msn.com and I'll send my pics from last week. If you're a Bosox fan I'll charge you, jk.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Oct 13th, 2007 12:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

LOL! Actually, I'm a lifelong Dodger fan.  Parents grew up in Brooklyn.  My standard joke is that I like two teams - the Dodgers or whoever plays the Yankees.  I used to just feel sorry for the Sox.  Not anymore, though.

Thank you, in advance, for your kind offer of petersburg pics.

connyankee

Posted: Sat Oct 13th, 2007 01:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Recent Crater pictures.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=87378824508.122945603208.1192240129429&page=1

Doc C

Posted: Sat Oct 13th, 2007 07:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Doc I must have just missed you .  I was at Petersburg the first week in October but don't remember which day .  They are resurfacing the road though the park.  We were able to drive the length of the Park but the road was in bad shape. 

Susan

Posted: Sat Oct 13th, 2007 11:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I was there on the 4th when the park road, except to the visitors center, was closed. My wife and I like to go to Williamsburg in the late fall so will try the park once again in December.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Oct 13th, 2007 03:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Doc I was there the week before I realized after looking at the calendar. You could still drive on the road . Not a very comfortable drive more like the dirt roads it would have been at the time . Hmm more realistic . The worst part of the visit though was we stopped at the cemetery . Talk about a bad road. I was afraid my friend was going to bottom out his car. We were sure glad to leave that place.
Must be a nice drive from Eastern Shore to Williamsburg area. Since someone else was driving I missed all of the Colonial area there. Also didn't get to Pamplin Park. One of these days I hope to see that too.

Posted: Mon Oct 15th, 2007 01:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
David White

Mana: 

Sweettea:

The Pamplin Park area was in private hands of the Pamplin family who used it for their lumber business, that's why it wasn't part of the NPS system.

Posted: Mon Oct 15th, 2007 07:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Susan you must get to pamplin. The focus is very multi dimensional . What I mean it focuses very much on the ACW ( one of the most realistic digital simulations of being under fire I have experienced) and I liked the Individualized cassette given to each person that is geared to their level of intrest. Just for fun my wife did the child's version and throughly enjoyed it. However they also do an excellent balanced assessment of slavery.  Their interpetation of southern plantation life is also very excellent. Onehalf of the residence is displayed as being occupied by military and one half is as ocupied by the owners family. They also have very good farm and home garden interpetation.

In my opinion it is not there yet but is done very much in the style of Williamsburg.

Posted: Mon Oct 15th, 2007 09:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I do hope to get to Pamplin one day but it didn't work out on this trip because of the expense .  Besides a friend warned me the bookstore there is outstanding so I was afraid to set foot in the store !!!  As it is I mailed a box of books home to me from South Carolina.  Most bought up in Richmond. 

Susan

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 01:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

Your friend was absolutely correct about the book store. It is excellent and also covers a wide range of topics and authors. I still have at least one I purchased there about two years ago that is still in my to read pile.

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 02:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
David White

Mana: 

Susan:

An unfortunate but wise decision on your part, no true Civil War buff could walk out of their store without making a purchase. Save your pennies and go next time.

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 02:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

David considering the pile I have here at home and the two boxes I mailed to myself from the trip (they were the one rate boxes so not huge ) I figured it was not a good idea to even go near the bookstore there.  So many books to read and so little time .  One of the things I have loved about getting to know Civil War people  is their love of reading .  I have never gone anywhere with a group like the Muster in Franklin last June.  When we went into the bookstore at Murfreesboro It was like a feeding frenzey all of us picking up books recommending books to each other .  Most trips it is me and maybe one other person with a stack at any historical site.  Did my heart good to find such a group of readers.

Susan

Current time is 04:40 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4128 seconds (7% database + 93% PHP). 25 queries executed.