Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Now who is being petty?!!! - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2007 02:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bdcanfield

Mana: 

Now, who is being petty....the Rosensteel family!  Superintendent John Latschar finally reloenting to moving the plaques to the new visitor's center and placing them where the people who saw them would actually appreciate the donation.  I know the Latschar is also being petty in not placing it where they want, but honestly how many people actually read the current plaques?  Not many!

PS.  The whole condition about how the park was not storing the Rosensteel collection propperly.. I would like to see how the family would store it better!

Posted: Fri Oct 19th, 2007 11:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Sarah
anachronist

Mana: 

I actually think I also would be upset if I were the Rosensteel family. I mean, the museum at the visitors' center would be pretty empty without their generous donation and the least the NPS could do is put a plaque somewhere more high traffic than a research room. I mean, it's not like they want a statue or something bulky, just a plaque that can really be put on any wall. I don't think their requests are that out of line at all, and I still don't understand why Latschar is so against a plaque in a well-seen place.

Posted: Sat Oct 20th, 2007 04:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Not the tossed-in towel lying at your feet. I must have missed where this thing got toassed back at the Rosensteels. What's his name has capitulated. And that's not enough? I give up.

Bring me up to date, please.

ole

Posted: Sat Oct 27th, 2007 11:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

I agree with Sarah..The Rosensteels Family donated much of what is on display there at the current Visitors Center. Then why are we putting the plaque in a back research room that will never get used by the General Public. They should be highly recognized for their contributions. But as I see it as things start to get more Commercial the little people that started it all get swept under the rug..We have that example right here in Williamsport Pa. Home of the Little League World Series..The founder of Little League was a man named Carl Stotz..He started it and brought it to its heights by having a Little League World Series..Back in the early days is was just local teams that he himself raised funds to outfit by getting sponsers. Today when you watch the Little League World Series on ESPN or ABC you wont even hear his name mentioned..Oh you may see his statue out there in center field but you wont hear the story about how it all happened. Why? Because it became big money for the The Little League which is in over 70 countries in the world and who pay to play to come here to our humble town to play the Biggest Event in their young lives. But  The Good Hearted Founder of Little League Baseball,a poor fellow, got swept under the rug by Little League Officials who have logos and mascots that make them big money and I am sure they dont want to share that cash with The Original Founders Family...And that is what will happen or is happening with the Rosensteels so I dont blame them for being a bit pissed off for being tossed in the attic...
Huma

Last edited on Sat Oct 27th, 2007 11:37 pm by Johnny Huma

Posted: Mon Nov 19th, 2007 08:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
ballpienhammer

Mana: 

Latschar really does not want the plaques in His new facility. His emperor-like actions have infuriated tax payers, local government, licensed battlefield guides, NPS employees, re-enactors, residents of Adams and York counties, and busines owners along historic Steinwehr Ave(Gettysburg).

Squirreling away the plaques which recognize the Rosensteel Family and their donations, in a hard to reach, by-appointment-only basement "research room" is NOT relenting to public outcry! The plaques are prominently on display now; why  not in the new $100 million+ (way over original budget) Visitor Center?

This is not Williamsburg, folks. This is Gettysburg. And this town does NOT belong to John Latschar.

For those who are not familiar with this case, refer to http://www.boroughVENT.com for the real story. 

Posted: Sun Dec 9th, 2007 01:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ballpienhammer

Mana: 

Update:
Under severe pressure from Congressman Todd Platts, reenactors, visitors, townies, DOI and local officials, the plaques WILL be placed in conspicuous view in the new Visitor Center at GNMP. BTW, so much uproar against Latschar and his dictatorlike shenanigans from the above has resulted in a formal inquiry by the Government Accounting Office!
I understand there is a vacancy At Point Barrow...

Last edited on Sun Dec 9th, 2007 01:03 pm by ballpienhammer

Current time is 08:22 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2694 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.