Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hard work - No pay...Apply here !! - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 24th, 2007 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Folks -

As I rebuild CWi behind the scenes, I'm taking note of some things that would improve the site, but that we don't have the time to do. So I'm putting a call out to all those who may wish to help us out. The following are things we are in particular need of -
  • For our Biography section: We have hundreds of biographies of lesser known people of the Civil War, but very few of the better known officers. Anyone who would like to help by writing Biographies of some of the better known officers of the war, your help would be appreciated. A couple of things you should do:

1) Go to our current bio section here and verify we don't already have a bio of the person you have in mind.

2) Then post a reply to this thread saying you intend to write a bio of General X, so that others don't do the same. Please make your bio concise (i.e. - just the facts, no opinion)

3) Please respect all copyrights! Make the bio in your own words - do not copy and paste from a another site.

4) Try to keep all bios less than 2 pages (single-spaced) Trust me, that's harder than it sounds! 

5) Mail the completed bio to us at CWi. We will add it to the bio section being built and give you credit by name. If you don't want to be named, simply indicate that at the end of the bio.
  • For our Book Review Section: We have lots of book buyers here. Please consider writing a review of the books as you read them and contributing it to CWi. You will get full credit. We know you all aren't professional writers - neither are we. We will edit you submission as needed.
If you are an experienced book reviewer, either at CWi or elsewhere, let us know and we have a stock of books which you can choose from. We send you the book, you review it and keep the book (free books !! :D)
OK, my fingers are tired ;) Just look at each section of CWi, and know that our reader's contributions to all the sections are always welcome. Any questions, post here. Thanks to all...

Posted: Thu Oct 25th, 2007 02:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Javal:

You know I'm always up for a book review.

Posted: Thu Oct 25th, 2007 02:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Great to hear it DW! You know I always love your reviews. I know you're more military oriented rather than the social stuff, so here's four that need reviewing. Let me know which you want to tackle:

In The Saddle With The Texans: Day-by-Day With Parson's Cavalry Brigade 1862-1865 by Anne Bailey

A Soldier To The Last: Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler in Blue and Gray by Edward Longacre

Chancellorsville and the Germans: Nativism, Ethnicity and Civil War Memory by Christian Keller

Germans in the Civil War: The Letters They wrote Home by Kamphoefner & Helbich.

Just let me know which, then PM or e-mail your address (yea, I know, I should know it by heart ;) )

Posted: Thu Oct 25th, 2007 02:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

PM received DW. Texans in the Saddle will be sent today. Thanks for the help!

Posted: Thu Nov 15th, 2007 08:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Don

Mana: 

Javal,

If you're interested in any of the Fiddler's Green posts from my blog (http://crossedsabers.blogspot.com), I'll be happy to send them along.  I'll hopefully be using them for some graduate work eventually, but they're online anyway and I don't see any harm in them being multiple places on the internet.

Many of the bios there right now are lesser known people.  As I work my way through the 6th Cavalry and then the other regiments, I'll be hitting some better known names pretty soon.

Don

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 01:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
sprosenvold

Mana: 

I'll be happy to write a concise biography on James Longstreet and J.E.B. Stuart.  I just need to edit the ones I have and should be able to send them along next week.

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 11:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Don & sprosenvold,

Many thanks to both, and of course credit will be given. Just e-mail whatever you're willing to share to info AT civilwarinteractive.com. Thanks again!

Current time is 04:54 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2562 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 24 queries executed.