Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Book Deals - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2008 06:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Got a Barnes & Noble gift card for x-mas, so I've been browsing their "Bargain Books" section. Thought I's share some great deals I found:

Lincoln and Chief Justice Taney: Slavery, Secession, and the President's War Powers by James F. Simon - $3.99

Worthy Opponents: William T. Sherman and Joseph E. Johnston: Antagonists in War-Friends in Peace by Edward Longacre - $5.99

Personal Memoirs of U. S. Grant by Ulysses S. Grant - $8.99

Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877 by Eric Foner - $3.99

Meeting Mr. Lincoln by Victoria Radford - $3.99

Fate of Liberty: Abraham Lincoln and Civil Liberties by Mark E. Neely, Jr. - $7.98

Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2008 07:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Javal... you got some outstanding deals there. Please let me know what you think of Longacre's book. I've heard good things about it and read snippets but not the whole kit n kaboodle.

My CW related Christmas gift to myself was a pleasant suprise.  At a visit to a Rochester gunshop I looked into a case and saw an original Lorenz musket tool.  $27 later it was in my pocket.  I now have original M1861 Springfield and Lorenz musket tools.  I'll keep looking for the Enfield tool to complete my "Big three" collection.

Last edited on Mon Jan 7th, 2008 08:57 pm by Johan Steele

Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2008 11:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
booklover

Mana: 

Just as an aside, I met Ed Longacre when he came to our Barnes and Noble to sign "Worthy Opponents" and he mentioned that his next book was going to be about World War II. Sounds interesting.

Also, Joe, glad you got a gift card. Keeps me in business for at least another month (although you need to look for the more expensive books man!).

Best
Rob

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Thanks for the heads up, Joe. Will see if my B&N has any of these same bargains!

ole

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 05:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Joe,

Simon is a local here, and got to see a talk he gave at a Barnes and Noble just across the border from NJ last September.  Have yet to read the book, but from his talk, only reason why I picked up a copy.

Hope all is well at the compound. :)

Steve

Posted: Tue Jan 8th, 2008 05:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

booklover wrote: Just as an aside, I met Ed Longacre when he came to our Barnes and Noble to sign "Worthy Opponents" and he mentioned that his next book was going to be about World War II. Sounds interesting.

Also, Joe, glad you got a gift card. Keeps me in business for at least another month (although you need to look for the more expensive books man!).

Best
Rob

Rob,

Always run into Ed when I visit Gettysburg, and he told me his book on Wheeler will probably be the last one on the Civil War he will write.  He's going to focus on WWII more exclusively in the near future.

Hope all is well.

Steve

Posted: Thu Jan 10th, 2008 02:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Don't listen to them man. The cheaper they are the more you can get on the gift card without putting any money with it. Your best bet is to be a member of barnes and noble and you can get a little more off.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 12:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Basecat, I can't wait to read the new (as yet unpublished) book on Wheeler.

Javal, that "Worthy Opponents" book sounds very compelling. Could be great reading. Let us know how you like it.

Last edited on Fri Jan 11th, 2008 12:15 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 02:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Basecat wrote: Rob,

Always run into Ed when I visit Gettysburg, and he told me his book on Wheeler will probably be the last one on the Civil War he will write.  He's going to focus on WWII more exclusively in the near future.

Hope all is well.

Steve

I had heard from a reputable source that Wheeler was why he didn't think he would write anymore on the CW.  The more he learned and studied about the man the more he came to despise him.

Regardless he is an outstanding author where any work he does will be worthwhile.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 02:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Btw the local Barnes & Noble's bargain bin had zero books on the CW... iwas shocked and scarred when I found all the titles but Longacres full priced on the shelves. You saved some good money Javal... planning to invest in more books I suspect.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 05:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Book deals, that's a favourite subject of mine.

I use,

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/

http://www.alibris.co.uk/

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Online dealers of course:D

Roger 

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 06:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: Basecat, I can't wait to read the new (as yet unpublished) book on Wheeler.

Javal, that "Worthy Opponents" book sounds very compelling. Could be great reading. Let us know how you like it.

Ed's book on Wheeler came out late last year.

Here's the link to the publisher of the book

http://www.potomacbooksinc.com/Books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=167931

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 04:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

This is my second reply attempt...my first seemed to become posessed.

Anyhow:  Try http://www.Barnesandnoble.com.  My bookstore was likewise out of any CW books in their bargain racks, but the site has quite a few and they also have their after holidays sale.  I piced up American Brutus (Booth and the Lincoln Assassination), Reconstruction (Javal mentioned it), and Manassas to Appomattox, the memoirs of James Longstreet.

Incidently, there seems to be a new book coming out on the battle of Sharpsburg (some call it Antietam :cool: Sorry, I fought temtation there and lost)  at a member price of $76 it is a bit out of my price range just now.  The full title is: The Maryland Campaign of September 1862 : Ezra A. Carman's Definitive Study of the Union and Confederate Armies at Antietam.  If anyone can afford that, I would really like hearing if it was worth the price....maybe then I can justify it to my wife.

Tim.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 04:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Note that all the bargain books I posted in the first post of this thread are linked to their respective B&N pages.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that I ordered these books - I didn't. I just ran acroos them and thought I'd share in case anyone was interested. Truth is, we get so many books here for review that I never buy Civil War books. Prefer 20th century political and current affairs.

Posted: Fri Jan 11th, 2008 05:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
David White

Mana: 

Javal:

Shame on you for taking a B&N gift certificate you should tell that person, "Amazon only" so you may click on the link from the CWI page to order from them and support yourself at the same time. ;)

I'm using my Amazon gift certificate from Christmas that way today.

Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2008 12:04 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Basecat, thank you for the link. I checked out Amazon and found "A Soldier to the Last" in hardcover slightly cheaper. Incidentally, if anyone is interested that same book is due out soon in paperback and is available for pre-order at Amazon.

I also pre-ordered "One Continuous Fight: The Retreat form Gettysburg and the Pursuit of Lee's Army of Northern Virgina, July 4 to 14, 1863" by Eric J Wittenburg, J. David Petruzzi and Micheal F Nugent. It will be a long wait because Amazon says it is due out in May!!

Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2008 01:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
ole

Mana: 

Rather than wait until May, Fan, I hear Kent Masterson Brown's "Retreat from Gettysburg" (UNCP) is highly recommended.

ole

Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2008 01:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

ole wrote: Rather than wait until May, Fan, I hear Kent Masterson Brown's "Retreat from Gettysburg" (UNCP) is highly recommended.

ole

I already have that excellent book. ANd, indeed, I do highly reccommend it. In fact, I wondered if I would want to read another book on the same topic because Brown's is so complete, minutely detailed and exhaustively researched.

I decided to try the Wittenburg, et al book because Brown's emphasis is the challenging logistics of Lee's retreat. For instance, he spends a lot of time discussing the numerous foraging sorties by Lee's troops searching for desperately needed supplies and food to take back to Virginia. He also goes into great detail enumerating the number of wagons, what they carried, how many men drove them, how many horses and mules were involved, etc. The difficulties were almost overwhelming complicated by the terrible weather. Brown did an awesome job of making the reader feel the burdens of this daunting, but crucial task.

On the other hand, I am hoping and trust that Wittenburg, Nugent and Petrruzi's book will deal more with the strategy behind Lee's retreat and Meade's delayed pursuit. I am also hoping that more attention will be paid to the skirmishes and fierce battles fought all along the retreat route such as at Hagerstown, MD and the crossing of the Potomac. You all will just ahve to wait until the book comes out. I understand it has nearly 500 pages. 

Last edited on Sat Jan 12th, 2008 01:32 am by CleburneFan

Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2008 02:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

CleburneFan wrote: ole wrote: Rather than wait until May, Fan, I hear Kent Masterson Brown's "Retreat from Gettysburg" (UNCP) is highly recommended.

ole

I already have that excellent book. ANd, indeed, I do highly reccommend it. In fact, I wondered if I would want to read another book on the same topic because Brown's is so complete, minutely detailed and exhaustively researched.

I decided to try the Wittenburg, et al book because Brown's emphasis is the challenging logistics of Lee's retreat. For instance, he spends a lot of time discussing the numerous foraging sorties by Lee's troops searching for desperately needed supplies and food to take back to Virginia. He also goes into great detail enumerating the number of wagons, what they carried, how many men drove them, how many horses and mules were involved, etc. The difficulties were almost overwhelming complicated by the terrible weather. Brown did an awesome job of making the reader feel the burdens of this daunting, but crucial task.

On the other hand, I am hoping and trust that Wittenburg, Nugent and Petrruzi's book will deal more with the strategy behind Lee's retreat and Meade's delayed pursuit. I am also hoping that more attention will be paid to the skirmishes and fierce battles fought all along the retreat route such as at Hagerstown, MD and the crossing of the Potomac. You all will just ahve to wait until the book comes out. I understand it has nearly 500 pages. 
As one who has been around the trio as this book has come together, the answer is yes.  A lot of attention will be focused on the many skirmishes during Lee's Retreat from Gettysburg.  The book will also feature more maps than usually found in a CW book. Still on track to be released in May as well.  The cover features the fighting at Boonsboro, MD on 7-8-1863, exactly 100 years before I was born. :)  Regards from the Garden State,Steve 

Posted: Sat Jan 12th, 2008 02:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Thanks, Steve.  Now I feel reassured that I did the right thing to preorder Wittenburg and associate's book. Another reason I ordered it is that I have read all of Wittenburg's books that I know about and can vouch for their high quality.

Back to Brown's book. What that book did for me more than any other I have read about the Civil War is make me appreciate what was really an ordeal of logistics at that time, most especially for armies operating outside of their home territory. Just one thing alone--keeping horses and mules fed and shod--could determine if a battle could be fought or had a possibility of being won.

Of course, we know the challenge of logistics on some level, but until I read Brown's book, I really had no idea to what lextent every single military operation no matter how big or small depended on logistics. Yet this vitally important but unglamorous subject gets overlooked or given only a glance in so many books on Civil War military history.

Current time is 09:29 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4431 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 31 queries executed.