Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Book Deals - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2008 04:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I want to recomend a book. Civil War Battle Fields Then and Now I cant remember who wrote it right now. It shows pictures from then and now. There are a few paragraphs on each page. Beautiful pictures though

Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2008 04:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
Roger

Mana: 

That sounds like a good recommendation. I've seen the Then and Now books concerning the First World War and they are very good. I'll keep my eye out for the Civil War book.Thanks.

Roger

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2008 09:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bama I have those books.  I think there are three on Gettysburg and one on Antietam.   The book Dixie is talking about is a coffee table book.  I have it in the other room where all the big books on the Civil War sit on the shelf.   Found it on the bargin shelf at Barnes and Noble. 

Speaking of the bargaian shelves, I just got a big bargain book The Civil War .  Has a few mistakes in labeling .  The statue of the minute man at Lexington is labeled as a monument to Mass Civil War Soldiers.  There is also a cannon battery labeled Vicksburg , Louisana .  That aside the pictures and prints of paintings are wonderful.  I was enjoying just looking at some prints of 19th century paintings and early 20th that I had not seen before.   Book is by Jonathan Sutherland and Diane Canwell .

Susan

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2008 12:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Dixie Girl wrote: I want to recomend a book. Civil War Battle Fields Then and Now I cant remember who wrote it right now. It shows pictures from then and now. There are a few paragraphs on each page. Beautiful pictures though
I have that book about the Gettysburg Battle Field. It is so interesting to see what it did look like in the mid-1860s as compared to now. Actually I wish tthe book also showed how the area looked in the 1940s and 1950s when I knew the area and how it looked the last time I visited it in the late 1990s. 

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2008 01:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

Given their recent efforts to restore it to its 1860's appearance, it would indeed be an interesting book to read and then compare with a visit. I'll have to look it up on my next book hunt.

Current time is 09:31 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1490 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 27 queries executed.