Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Fortifications - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2008 08:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Roger

Mana: 

Check out the photo's on this Russian forum. Don't let the Russian language put you off, the posts by Babbitt on the second page I'm sure you will find interesting.

http://www.fortification.ru/forum/index.php?action=vthread&forum=9&topic=959&page=0

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 01:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Gunner

Mana: 

This is very interesting indeed! It is fun to"find the fort" in some of the photos. I recommend this site to everyone."Try it"! you may like it.

Gunner.

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 02:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

That was amazing! I loved the one with the dark green moat all the way around it. Another fort looked just like the one in St Augustine, FL. I had to check it twice.

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 03:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

YES Cleburne. Looks alot like Castillo San de Marcos in St. Augustine, just down from the Bridge of Lions and up from where Ponce de Leon is alleged to have found the Fountain of Youth. Can you tell it's one of my favorite places ;) Good site, excellent pics.

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 06:03 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Joe I will be in St. Augustine the 2nd week in June , can't wait .

Susan

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 04:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
browner
nitap

Mana: 

Hi Susan,
We would love to meet you also. That family was so fun to talk with. I can see they would be a favorite.
Tom worked at St. Augustine some years back, doing some preservatin work on the fort itself.
I will have to bring it to his attention today that you are headed that way. He will be envious! We both have talked about going back. I haven't been since "78. Boy does that age me!!!
Nita

Posted: Wed May 21st, 2008 11:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: YES Cleburne. Looks alot like Castillo San de Marcos in St. Augustine, just down from the Bridge of Lions and up from where Ponce de Leon is alleged to have found the Fountain of Youth. Can you tell it's one of my favorite places ;) Good site, excellent pics.

Javal, I have actually drunk water from that Fountain of Youth. Didn't do me a dang bit of good as far as I can see.:X

The Bridge of the Lions was under major reconstruction last time I was there in October 2007. I hope it will be done by now so that Susan Sweet can enjoy it.

Susan, I really enjoyed the open air"train" that takes you around to the different historic sites. It is an excellent overview of the city before you get down to actually picking out specific sites to visit. By the way, June is a hot, humid month in St Augustine, so dress for the weather. We have had record breaking heat every day this week in much of Florida.

But you must vist the Castillo de San Marcos. I got a kick out of the "oven" where defenders heated up cannonballs to make hot shot to shoot at ships. Don't know why I got a kick out of it though.:?

A place I admire in St Augustine is the campus of the School for the Deaf and Blind. Ray Charles studied there while when he was young. Be sure to have your camera ready. The street outside the entrance of the Fountain of Youth park is incredibly beautiful. Live oak trees with hanging Spanish moss arch over the street for its entire length. It is remarkable.

For traditional Cuban cuisine in a setting that looks typically Cuban check out the very popular Colombia restaurant. You probably don't have a lot of Cuban food in California.  

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 03:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thanks Fan,  I don't have much say in this trip as my friends are planning the whole thing to show me their favorite sites in Florida.  That being said I know we will see all the sites around the Castillo. 

I can't wait to go .  We have been having a heat wave here too .  I will bring my coolest clothes,

By the way down the street about a mile is a Cuban Restraunt .  We do have some here.

Susan

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 06:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
calcav1

Mana: 

Susan,

I am jealous indeed. I love Castillo and would enjoy a return visit. Several years ago I was involved in a preservation project on the covered way wall. Working with coquina blocks that had been cut and set by Spanish soldiers was pretty awesome.

Tom

P.S. The Crite's family sure did talk up a certain 1st grade teacher.

Posted: Thu May 22nd, 2008 09:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Well Tom the feeling is mutual with that family . They were so supportive and have done such a good job with Andrew. 

Susan

Current time is 02:21 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3547 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.