Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

More vandalism of a CW memorial. - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 4th, 2008 02:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Vandals pulled two three foot tall "Billy Yanks" off their bases two nights ago in an act of vandalism in Woodbury, NJ.  The Camp Stockton Memorial, dedicated to the soldiers of the 12th NJ who trained on farmland owned by Rev. Dickerson, was dedicated in a ceremony modeled on the GAR Ritual in September of 2005 by the Col. Louis R. Francine, Camp #7, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. 

The Woodbury Cement Co. donated the land, much of the materials and all of the labor to help build the memorial.  Camp Francine raised additional funds by selling bricks that would honor loved ones, veterans or famous folks of the Civil War.

So far, a police report has been filed, the local newspaper will run a story in a couple of days and the camp is mulling over a possible reward.  Camp Francine will also have to decide whether it is advisable to replace the statues.

I am more saddened by this than mad.  Someone has no respect for veterans, history and evidently their parents never impressed upon them to leave others' property alone.  This is just another classless act by a cowardly miscreant who doesn't care.

Posted: Wed Jun 4th, 2008 04:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
izzy

Mana: 

Crazy Delawares,

It makes me sick to hear of these acts of vandalism as well.  If money needs to be raised again, please post the info so I can send a check.

izzy

Posted: Thu Jun 5th, 2008 12:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

There will be an article and pictures in the area newspaper tomorrow (Thursday). Our camp is offering a $500 reward for info leading to the apprehension of the dirtbags. We have yet to decide whether we want to replace them. Although, the owner of the cement business said, "Let's get 'em replaced!" They cost $280 each. One we paid for and the other one two workers from the cement business paid for out of their own pay!
This was one of those rare business/preservation teamwork projects.

Posted: Thu Jun 5th, 2008 12:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Oh, and a big tip of the kepi to you Izzy for your kind offer! Thank you!!!

Posted: Thu Jun 5th, 2008 02:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Please replace them. Vandals should not be able to call the shots concerning if there should be a memorial or not. As izzy asked, please post the info and I will chip in what I can.

I would hope that in about 20 years these kids (I'm assuming) will be guilt ridden, and God willing, do something constructive to make up for this stupid act. I guess I've got to hang my hat on something.

Posted: Thu Jun 5th, 2008 03:56 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Yes please post where to donate to replacing the memorial.  As was said before the vandals should not win .

Susan

Posted: Thu Jun 5th, 2008 08:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

This sort of mindless vandalism is usually the result of an alcohol fueled, spur of the moment, done for kicks and a laugh act, forgotten in minutes with no regard for the consequences. Is there an answer to this type of behaviour? Probably not but perhaps our modern day educators should concentrate more on that much overused word, Respect.
I hope you get your memorial replaced.

Posted: Sat Jun 7th, 2008 02:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Thank you one and all for your kind sentiments! The NJ Department is having its annual meeting tomorrow (Saturday 7 June). During lunch, some of the brothers and I will discuss such things as security cameras, replacing the statues, etc..
I will keep you all posted!
CD

Posted: Sat Jun 7th, 2008 08:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

I may be a reb at heart but someone who took time out of there lives and put it in to fight for someone who they did not know and to protect people who did or didnt agree with what they were doing deserves to be honored in my book so these people who did are a word, lets just say something my innocent young mouth should not say. ;)

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 12:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

Innocent young mouth? My sore heinie! You've said in a somewhat unpolished sentence what most of us have been struggling on for quite some time.

Hat's off, Lil Reb!

ole

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 03:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

In the words of the immortal Rocky Balboa..."Absolutely."

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 01:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

who's Rocky Balboa?

innocent young mouth.....not me, i dont care i cuss though one day it might get me in trouble.

Last edited on Sun Jun 8th, 2008 01:44 pm by Dixie Girl

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 07:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
ole

Mana: 

Who's Rocky Balboa? Sigh. Anyone feeling really OLD right now?

ole

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 08:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Yo Andrianne I am feeling old for sure with whose Rocky Balboa.  I have stood in his footprints both at Pat's and on the Museum steps. 

Susan

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 11:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

Rocky Jr.: [questioning his father wanting to fight again] Don't you think you're a little, you know, old?

Dixies are you jokeing, I am a few months older than you and I know who he is thanks to my pops of course.

Posted: Sun Jun 8th, 2008 11:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

Know to defend everyone wh is old her lets just say this

Rocky Balboa: What's so crazy about standing toe to toe with someone saying "I am"?

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 03:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Since the desecration I've been given a great many ideas on how to deter the desecration again. The best one I liked was toi booby trap the statues.
Ah well...I guess maybe not. But, it was a pretty neat idea! Certainly might put an end to it!
PS-I wonder what the Rock would do in this situation? Where's Mickey when you need him?

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 07:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

no im not kidding.....i dont watch fighting or boxing so i have no clue who any of those people are. im more into football, soccer and stock car racing.

uh Crazy Delawares Im waaaaaaaay to old for mickey. i out grew him years ago. mickey used to hold my attention real well too but now it takes 50 naked guys (they aint gotta be Norwegian) or a really hot guy (over the age of 30) to catch and hold my attention for more than 5 seconds.

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 08:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Mickey was an old man not a mouse

Current time is 02:45 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4400 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.