Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Some of my ACW battlefield pics - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Jul 20th, 2008 04:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Last edited on Sun Jul 20th, 2008 04:05 am by Captain Crow

Posted: Sun Jul 20th, 2008 04:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

ooops! nevermind...I just realized the links provided access to my myspace account only if I was logged in...bummer!
I'll repost with some photobucket links later.
sorry!

Posted: Sun Jul 20th, 2008 01:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Wrap10

Mana: 

Speaking of Civil War photos, you folks may already know this, but the Civil War Preservation Trust is holding a Civil War battlefield photo contest. You can enter through their web site at http://www.civilwar.org. Scroll down the page a bit to find the information about the photo contest.

The photos for the contest are over on Flickr, on the CWPT's photo site. There are also quite a few other CW photo groups on Flickr that you can look over or join if you'd like, whether you enter the CWPT contest or not. There's also a group there on Shiloh that you're welcome to join. Or so I've heard. :)

Posted: Sun Jul 20th, 2008 06:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Alright dog-gone-it here's a link to my Ft. Sumter pics:
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Fort%20Sumter/?action=view¤t=c8893610.pbw

Posted: Sun Jul 20th, 2008 06:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

and Fredericksburg:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/fredericksburg%20military%20park/?action=view¤t=3f376e47.pbw

Posted: Sun Jul 20th, 2008 06:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

And Gettysburg:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/gettysburg/?action=view¤t=b2f9a713.pbw
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/gettysburg/?action=view¤t=d658f128.pbw

Posted: Sun Jul 20th, 2008 06:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Petersburg:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Petersburg/?action=view¤t=c65af1c4.pbw

Posted: Sun Jul 20th, 2008 07:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

And Shiloh:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Shiloh/?action=view¤t=35919319.pbw
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Shiloh/?action=view¤t=cbf4fd2c.pbw
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Shiloh/?action=view¤t=fea2f0f8.pbw

Posted: Sun Aug 10th, 2008 08:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
TheColoBearer
Bearer of the Colors

Mana: 

Man those pics are top notch. Thank you for sharing them.:D

Posted: Sun Aug 10th, 2008 08:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

You're welcome and thanks for checking them out!

Posted: Sun Aug 10th, 2008 09:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
TheColoBearer
Bearer of the Colors

Mana: 

man they really rock, and i like the different set ups you are using in the slideshows.

Posted: Sun Aug 10th, 2008 09:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

photobucket is my friend LOL!

Posted: Sun Aug 10th, 2008 10:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
TheColoBearer
Bearer of the Colors

Mana: 

You dont have any Vicksburg pics by chance?

Posted: Mon Aug 11th, 2008 02:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I'm going there next week as a matter of fact. I'm planning to travel the entire campaign including: Grant's canal, Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hill, Big black River bridge, and of course Vicksburg herself. I've scheduled three days to accomplish this which is not a lot of time but with careful planning I should be able to cover most of the high points. And yes I will be taking and posting many pics.
Stay tuned!

Posted: Mon Aug 11th, 2008 01:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
TheColoBearer
Bearer of the Colors

Mana: 

The 3rd Louisianna Redoubt is my favorite spot on the battlefield. That is where they detonated one of the mines underneath the confederates. The rifle pits there are in really good shape still.

Posted: Mon Aug 11th, 2008 04:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I'll make sure and get a couple of good pics of that spot for you CB. This is my first trip to Vicksburg so I've been reading everything I can cram in my brain hoping some of it sticks before next Saturday. Sad but true I never read much about VB before this year. I always just saw it as a big long boring siege. WRONG! As usual I'm enjoying studying the smaller battles that took place during the campaign: Port Gibson, Raymond, Big black river bridge. Unfortunately it appears almost nothing of the Port Gibson battlefield has been restored or preserved....and yet Raymond, a much smaller engagement has been recently beautifully restored. Big Black river bridge battlefield is not marked at all but is still relatively easy to find. Champion Hill is also sadly neglected but can still be toured with the help of Sid Champion V.

Posted: Mon Aug 11th, 2008 04:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
TheColoBearer
Bearer of the Colors

Mana: 

The best advice i can give for vicksburg is to go visit the field early in the day for it gets really really really hot and humid there. See if you can find the spot where Pendlton surrendered to Grant. The battlefield is well perserved.

Now at Raymond they do a event every year for the battle of vicksburg, but they do it in Raymond so i can see why all the restoration money is in that area and not the other smaller battlefields. Deveolopment is making the battlefields shrink every year. Hell at Missionary Ridge in Tenn. people have built houses there on the ridge(i hope they are haunted)and have no care in the world what happened there.

You take good pics and i am looking forward to seeing the next ones.

Todd  :)

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Aug 11th, 2008 06:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

TheColoBearer wrote: The best advice i can give for vicksburg is to go visit the field early in the day for it gets really really really hot and humid there. See if you can find the spot where Pendlton surrendered to Grant. The battlefield is well perserved.
I plan on being up before dawn each day so I can get the outdoor tramping done before noon. I'm fairly acclimated to the heat from riding my bicycle to work 3-4 days a week during our balmy Oklahoma summer-90-100+ almost every day- but after last year's journey to Charleston SC in July I have learned to respect that swampy southern humidity)))(*gasp* so I plan on being in the visitors center and museums during the afternoons. I definitely want to get some sundown pics on fort hill and early morning shots at the Soldiers Rest.

Posted: Mon Aug 11th, 2008 06:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Bama46 wrote: The Northern 1/3 of the seige line is preserved, the balance has disappeared over the years.. commercial intersts, etc..
Some beautiful monuments.. Texas comes to mind..Hire a guide! a lady named Pat took me around and was magnificient...great historian, great storyteller, etc.. be sure to attend the living history event at the visitors center

The area of the fighting where the 2nd Texas was is facinating...red and blue plaques to deliniate the various federal and confederate positions... see if you can figure it out! no lines...hand to hand combat..
Vicksburg is a lovely city with a wonderful past...I loved my time there and can't wait to go back next year..

and Yes it is HOT... but the catfish is good.. breakfast, dinner and supper... so are th fried dill pickles

Ed
Catfish mmmmmmmm:P!

Current time is 09:08 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4341 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 29 queries executed.