Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Looking for answers... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 04:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

I'm going on vacation until Sunday so I won't be able to check your responses but I'm looking for information and so it will give everyone time to do some research.

I have this small Civil War encyclopedia that talks about Confederate Colonel Angus MacDonald or McDonald (I've seen different spellings). The book says that he recruited his own company in the lower Shenandoah and "was known for his unorthodox and non-military academy view that tomahawks were better calvary weapons than sabers. MacDonald also favorered other tactics more commonly employed by Plains Indians, such as striking swiftly in small groups, the retiring from the field."

This is a character who I would love to know more about but can't find anything on. Even general searches online yield nothing. I'm sure theres a tid bit about him in Generals in Grey but I don't have the book.

Anyone know anything about him?

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 04:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

BloodyBob 64-

A search for: "Confederate Colonel Angus MacDonald" (sic) yields a considerable amount of information. You should be able to spend quite awhile reading many contributing websites.

AOL Search results for "confederate colonel angus macdonald"

Here is a picture of COL McDonald and his monument.

Col Angus William McDonald, Sr (1799 - 1864) - Find A Grave Memorial

Buried with COL McDonald in Hollywood Cemetery is his second wife, Cornelia Peake. Her diary kept during the war was later published. Her struggles during and after the war were heroic.

Cornelia Peake McDonald (1822 - 1909) - Find A Grave Memorial

COL McDonald graduated from West Point 13th in the Class of 1817, the first year that class ranks were official. He was only 18 years old when he graduated. (Cullum Number 173).

Last edited on Fri Jul 25th, 2008 06:51 am by Texas Defender

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 01:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

Thanks Texas, that memorial site is pretty good, never knew they had something like that. But I'm not finding substantial information on MacDonald's military operations or his influence on the war, if he had any at all. Most of the websites that have his name in it usually just mention his name in some passing instance. Apparently he was under Ashby's command. But I will keep looking; the sites you gave me are a great head start, I've already learned a little bit why he favorered Indian tactics. Thanks again.

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 03:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

BloodyBob64-

Actually, it was Turner Ashby who was under COL McDonald's command early in the war.

COL McDonald formed the 7th Virginia Cavalry. He saw the potential of then Captain Ashby, and wanted him in his command. It was by his recommendation that General J.E. Johnston promoted Ashby two grades to lieutenant colonel in June of 1861. The troops then commanded by Ashby were incorporated into the 7th Virginia Cavalry.

COL McDonald was very elderly for a commander in the field (62 at this time), and he suffered from ill health during the war. When he was forced to leave the regiment early in 1862, Ashby became the regimental commander. (March of 1862).

Turner Ashby was promoted to brigadier general two months later, in spite of the opposition of Thomas J. Jackson. Unfortunately, he was killed less than two weeks after that (perhaps by friendly fire), and never saw his promotion confirmed.

Turner Ashby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 03:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

Thanks Texas, thats great information!

Current time is 06:49 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3205 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 25 queries executed.