Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Heading to Gettysburg - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 08:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Okay, folks, not to make you jealous or anything, but I'm heading to Gettysburg on Monday for the week. Weather is supposed to be great, I have a tour scheduled with a good battlefield guide, I have about six books about various Gettysburg topics picked out to take along, a couple Civil War-related podcasts downloaded on my iPod, so I'm set!

I have much I could say about the place, but I'm wondering if anyone wants to share their great/good/interesting/strange/unique/not-so-good stories/hints/info about Gettysburg: the battle, the battlefield, the town, the bars, the tourists. . . just about anything Gettysburg would get me ready for the trip! Thanks!

Pam

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 08:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Pam -

Have a blast!

Breakfast: The Avenue restaurant on Steinwehr

Lunch: The Gingerbread Man on Steinwehr (try the Cocunut Shrimp)

Dinner: Try the Farnsworth House at leat once - their Game Pie is great.

At night: Where else - The Mine, the bar found in the basement of the Quality Inn on Steinwehr.

Have fun!

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 08:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

If you have not been to the top of the Pa. momument since all the trees have been cleared by all means do it! Last fall was the first time I had been able to do it and the perception of the field is great. There are arrows telling uou what is in a particular direction and you can now see them.

Also post clearing of non-historic vegatation a visit to devil's den is a great place. There are monuments there and even a rest room that I did no know existed.

Visit the new visitor's center and report back on your perception. Too bad you will not see the cyclorama. I am excited to see it in October. 

Posted: Fri Jul 25th, 2008 10:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
izzy

Mana: 

Have a fabulous time!:D

Posted: Sat Jul 26th, 2008 12:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Lawrence63
Teen Civil War Historian

Mana: 

Ah, Gettysburg. My home away from home. I'm thinking of going tomorrow, if I'm not too busy. I just live 15 minutes away, so it's not too much of a hassle to go. The new visitor's center has some parking issues, but I've never had a problem. I've never been on a ghost tour, so I don't have any experience there, but the American Civil War Museum on Steinwehr Avenue has living history encampments every weekend. They're really enlightening. And you should definitely check out the Gettysburg Train Station on Carlisle Street. I gotta say, I'm really envious. Living as close as I do, it isn't exactly easy to get my parents to go on a vacation to Gettysburg, except camping for the weekend. Have fun, and be sure to tell us how the trip was.

Posted: Sat Jul 26th, 2008 12:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
TimK

Mana: 

I am envious. You are going to have a wonderful week! I know the suggestions from an earlier thread about getting out of the car don't apply to you, so my only suggestions would be to use sunscreen and get yourself a decent map (sorry, I had to say that).

Posted: Sat Jul 26th, 2008 01:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Thanks, Tim, but where oh where could I get a decent map?!;)

Pam

Posted: Sat Jul 26th, 2008 07:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

I am just so jealous. I have managed to visit Gettysburg 3 times during our vacations in the States but haven't been there since 2005. Can't wait to see it again with the "new" 1863 look and the new visitor centre. Saving hard for May next year (maybe, hopefully).
Have a great time.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Jul 27th, 2008 12:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Lawrence63,

I'm the one who's envious--if I lived 15 minutes from Gettysburg, I'd NEVER get anything done! At least everyone would know approximately where to find me! I can see, tho, how your parents wouldn't see G-burg as a vacation spot, considering its kind of in the neighborhood!

Ed,

I like the idea of East Cavalry. I don't know much about what happened there, at least the details, like, I guess, many people. Every time I've been out there, it's this huge beautiful field, and no one is there! If I'm not mistaken, isn't what happened there the reason why Lee's plan to catch the A of P in a pincer grip--from in front and behind--and defeat them, failed?

Pam

Posted: Sun Jul 27th, 2008 02:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Enjoy yourself! But, in addition to the sunscreen, make sure you use something to keep the ticks and other critters away! You can use the stuff hunters use or consume garlic like its candy. Of coursee, not too many people will want to hang around you either if you take the garlic! ;-)

Posted: Sun Jul 27th, 2008 11:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

Have a great trip Pam...The Trailhead Map is a very good one with all of the markers and monuments noted...The Gettysburg Expedition guide comes with a map I think ...Also depends on what books you are bringing...many of the guide books have decent maps.

You are lucky to be getting down there..Eat at the Farnsworth house (Plus they have a great bookshop upstairs) and/ or the dobbin house.  There is also the Appalachian brewing company an awesome microbrewery..

We expect a full report upon your return..

KEn

Posted: Sun Jul 27th, 2008 05:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Bama46 wrote:
As PvtClewell has pointed out, Mac was not at G'burg, but Meade certainly was... too many "M's" I guess...
sorry for the gaffe

Ed

Or maybe it was McMeade. :D

Posted: Sun Jul 27th, 2008 05:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

Wish I were going with you. Whenever I am there, I always stop for a beer or two at a place called O'Rorkes on Steinwher Ave. A lot of the re-enactors go there...(I ran into Mosby, Pickett and McPherson there during the re-enactment) Food is good, reasonably priced and it's a fun place to go.

Posted: Mon Jul 28th, 2008 02:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Thanks, folks, for all your input! Definitely ready to hit the road now! I think I have enough to keep me busy--and well-fed--and well-watered--for a few days. I'll be thinking about you as I'm trudging across Pickett's Charge in the 90 degree heat (I won't tell you which way I'll be going--figure it out for yourself!) I'll let you know how I made out at the end of the week!

PvtClewell--McMeade? You want fries with that?

Pam

Posted: Mon Jul 28th, 2008 11:15 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
gettysburgerrn

Mana: 

The PCN Battlewalks are also great for overviews of certain areas...

ken

Current time is 04:42 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4265 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 31 queries executed.