Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What CW era person would you most like to meet?

What CW era person would you most like to meet? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Aug 24th, 2008 03:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Hi folks,

I am really interested in some of the topics posted right now (and am learning a lot in the process), but I was thinking of something maybe a little lighter to have some fun with.

If you could meet any one Civil War era personality/person, who would that be and why? What would you ask him/her? Etc., etc.

I'm still thinking about this one. . . too many to choose from!

Pam

Posted: Sun Aug 24th, 2008 03:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Stonewall Jackson

why? because i think he was a great general and a good man and the fact that he was able to keep his faith as strong as he did during the was amazes me, most would forget about keeping God in their daily lives but he didnt.

id ask him: what was the hardest part of the war for you?
how did you keep your faith so strong? why didnt you tell your men that you were gonna be out the night you got shot, or at least yell out and tell em who you were and to hold fire until you got past em?

Posted: Sun Aug 24th, 2008 11:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
connyankee

Mana: 

Stonewall Jackson and Mr. Lincoln.  Don't know what I'd say to either one of them to be quite honest.  I'd just sort of want to look at their eyes for a few minutes, I think.  Imagine a staredown with Jackson - he'd probably burn a hole right through me and I'd be sceered.

:)

Posted: Sun Aug 24th, 2008 11:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

a staredown with Jackson......oooohhh that would be scary....he'd definately win

Posted: Sun Aug 24th, 2008 03:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Lieutenant George E. Dixon, third and final commander of the Hunley. First of course I'd ask him what happened that night, Feb. 17, 1864, that prevented them from returning home. Then I'd ask him about Queenie Bennett because soldiers like to talk about their girls. Perhaps I'd ask him about home and family...but mostly I'd just want to take the measure of someone brave enough to do what he and his crew did.

http://www.hunley.org/

Posted: Sun Aug 24th, 2008 03:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I was the one to start this thread, and I've been thinking on who my pick would be. There are the obvious ones: Lee (What was his real plan on Day 3 at Gettysburg?), Jackson (I'd like to experience his brillance AND his quirks for myself--no staring contest for me, thanks!), even Grant. I'd also consider Buford because I think he didn't get the credit he deserved, and then he died young, and John Reynolds because he lived in Lancaster, nearby to where I live.

But after I was done thinking, I came to the conclusion that the CW era person I'd want most to have the opportunity to talk to is my ggggg uncle, Pvt. John H. Rothrock of the 153 PA (some of you know this already!). No, he didn't do any great wartime deeds, and in fact died after Gettysburg, but I would give my right arm to talk to him for even just five minutes, to make that connection I have to the CW a really real one. Don't know what I'd say, but the chance would be enough.

Pam

Posted: Sun Aug 24th, 2008 03:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

NB Forrest.....

people have compared me to Forrest before....mainly cause sometimes my personality is a lot like his.....
not sure what id ask him but whatever it was id make it good questions.

Posted: Mon Aug 25th, 2008 01:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
BloodyBob64

Mana: 

I'd smoke a cigar with John Brown and read Old Testament scriptures by the fireside... and then brandish some swords.

Posted: Mon Aug 25th, 2008 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

or possibly go hanging yankees with Quantrill...? I already got my "bushwacker" curls grown out and my forbearers did it so why n....naahhh I'll stick with Lt. Dixon.

Posted: Mon Aug 25th, 2008 05:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
martymtg

Mana: 

By all accounts Jackson was a great general but from what I've read I don't know if he'd have been a very good interview.

I'd have to go with Sickles, not because he was a good general, because he certainly wasn't, but he sure was a firecracker.

Posted: Mon Aug 25th, 2008 09:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
TimK

Mana: 

It would have to be Abe Lincoln. My first question would be to ask him how he liked working with William Shatner on that episode of Star Trek. After that ice breaker, I would have several more historically significant questions I've been pondering for years.

Posted: Mon Aug 25th, 2008 09:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
martymtg

Mana: 

I think Lincoln and Shatner would have a fight to the death over the attentions of LT. Ahura.

Abe would probably win because he's a little bit younger.

Posted: Mon Aug 25th, 2008 11:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
izzy

Mana: 

I would like to meet the Carter brothers of Elizabethton, TN:  Maj. Gen./Rear Admiral Samuel P. Carter; Colonel James Carter, commander of the Second East Tennessee Infantry; and the Rev. William Carter.  William travelled to Washington DC and talked Pres. Lincoln into invading East Tennessee.  It would be great to sit down at the dinner table with these guys and listen to the stories.  By the way, Elizabethton is named after their grandmother Elizabeth Carter.  Quite a family.

I would also like to meet Daniel Ellis, a Union pilot.  I bet there is a whole bunch more stories that are not in his book.  I am amazed at his ability to walk 30 to 40 miles a day straight up and over these mountains.  For safety's sake he never took a road.

Posted: Tue Aug 26th, 2008 12:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

I'd like to talk to my g-g-grandfather, Pvt. James L. Marlin, Co. B, 2nd DE(&the 13th PA Cav.). Then I'd like to talk with Cpl. Wm. Penn Haines, "The Fightin' Quaker," of Co. F, 12th NJ.
As for famous folks, Generals Grant and Longstreet AT THE SAME TIME! That wuld be an excellent conversation!

Posted: Tue Aug 26th, 2008 12:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
martymtg

Mana: 

If you've read Longstreet's memoirs, he seems to put Grant on a higher pedestal than Lee.

You probably know of this story. There was a reunion of Confederate generals many years later. long after Lee had passed. There was a strong resentment in the south toward Longstreet (he was almost regarded as a traitor) because he was outspoken in his belief that Lee's decision to fight at Gettysburg, rather than head for Washington, cost the South the war.

Anyway, he's NOT invited to this affair. And amidst all the pageantry and backslapping, in strides Pete. He heads straight up the aisle, for a moment there's dead silence. Slowly applause begins, and it turns into full-scale cheers.

I wish I could remember where I read this.

Posted: Wed Aug 27th, 2008 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

Yep! Read old Pete's memoirs. I believe he and Grant were friends before the war. I'm guessing all the way back to West Point...maybe. Either way, I be their conversation would be educational and entertaining.
Longstreet going to the reunion would be par for him. He was a bit...hardheaded shall we say? Longstreet is my favorite Reb general. I admire RE Lee but, like James Longstreet.

Posted: Wed Aug 27th, 2008 02:06 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

martymtg-

There was also southern resentment of General Longstreet because he became a republican.  :X

General Longstreet disagreed with General Lee at Gettysburg and on Gettysburg, but I don't think he ever lost his profound respect for General Lee. Longstreet's son, Robert Lee Longstreet, was born on 20 October 1863, which was AFTER Gettysburg. (Robert Lee Longstreet survived until 1940 and is buried at Arlington).

General Grant and General Longstreet were together at West Point for three years and became friends. When Grant and Longstreet were young lieutenants, Longstreet introduced his cousin, Julia Dent, to Grant. On August 22, 1848, Julia Dent became Mrs. Grant, and LT Longstreet was the best man at the wedding.

Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 03:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I think it would be interesting to have Sherman and Hooker in the same room together since they despised each other.

Last edited on Fri Aug 29th, 2008 03:16 pm by The Iron Duke

Posted: Fri Aug 29th, 2008 05:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
David White

Mana: 

There was also southern resentment of General Longstreet because he became a republican.

And he fired on and killed former Confederate soldiers in New Orleans, became a Catholic and dared to criticize Robert E. Lee in print.

Last edited on Fri Aug 29th, 2008 05:54 pm by David White

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Current time is 12:10 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > What CW era person would you most like to meet?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4241 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.