Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Southern Governors - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 11:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
izzy

Mana: 

Which Southern Governor(s) created the biggest problem(s) for the Confederacy?

I'm wandering into a subject I know nothing about.  I just read a bit about Gov. Harris of TN in Connely's book, Army of the Heartland.  Gov. Harris created a huge problem by ignoring the defenses along the border with KY.  I understand this wasn't deliberate since everyones focus was on the Mississippi River at the time.  Nevertheless, it created an enormous problem for the Confederacy in short order.  Other examples out there?

Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 12:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

I don't know the name of him but he made us look bad. my great-great-great grandfather was a pvt. in Company A, 37th Battalion Virginia Cavalry and he was at the burning of Chambersburg, PA. His Company took part in blowing the city hall up. and the whole entire Regiment and the rest of the Confederacy at the town lit fire to it. All cause some fool yankee governer or mayor something like refussed to pay the ransom of the town. Because of that it gave the Confederacy a bad look.

Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 11:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

I believe Governors Vance (NC) and Brown (GA) withheld supplies from the armies because they wanted their own supplies to go to the troops from their states only.
Word is that there was enough supplies in both states to outfit Lee's Army once or twice over at the war's end.

Posted: Mon Sep 1st, 2008 11:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

RTD:
Something about your logic there escapes me. The towns folk refuse to pay so it's their fault?!

Posted: Tue Sep 2nd, 2008 12:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

I dont know that much about it, so I assume it was the govener. All I know is that my great- great-great grandfather who was 17 years old at the time helped blow up the city hall.

Current time is 06:27 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1756 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 24 queries executed.