Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Gettysburg Visitor Center - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 03:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Logan Guard

Mana: 

Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying that I have only posted on this board a few times but I have been reading and enjoying your discussions for a few years now. I was wondering what everyones opinions are on the possibility that the New Visitor Center might charge an admission fee soon. I read the news article from the Hanover Evening Sun http://www.eveningsun.com/ci_10489028 and I was a liitle discouraged.

I have gone to Gettysburg since I was a little kid and I have to admit that I have not been to the new Visitor Center but I hope to see it in a couple of month.

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 03:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Essentially they are forcing visitors to visit the Cyclorama and movie since no one wanted to pay the price of admission seperately. $7.50 seems steep to the casual visitor. It's a bit like forcing movie goers to buy popcorn and a coke with their movie ticket.  What's the goal to encourage visitation or cover costs? There ought to be a way to do both in my opinion but they aren't finding it yet and are muddling along.

Last edited on Thu Sep 18th, 2008 03:56 pm by David White

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 04:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Logan Guard

Mana: 

When I saw that three people made $675,521.00 between them and they want to charge people an admission fee I thought that seemed a little bit off.
Maybe I shouldn't feel this way but I guess it makes me upset that I would be charged a fee to see what was once free.I guess that's the price you pay for the upgrade. Deep down I kind of new we would be asked to pay if we wanted or chose to go to the new Visitor Center. Maybe I'll go once and stick to the Battlefield after that.

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 04:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

When I heard that it cost $8.00 for a 22 minute movie I felt it was excessive as most national parks have an orientation movie at no cost. I am really looking foreward to seeing the restored cyclorama. There is one in Atlanta which has the diorama in front of it which is really impressive. I do not recall the cost for it. I beleive it is a private venue.

I am not familiar with the other national parks that charge fees. Mamoth Cave does charge for the individual ranger guided tours. Perhaps others can share the other parks that have fees and how much they are.

Does anyone else feel that at $7.50 the full package, museaum, movie, and cyclorama is still a fair price when compaired with commercial venues. I do but also see this going to other national parks if it flies.   

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 07:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

My understanding is that the resturant, book store, information booth, battlefield guides booth , restrooms would be accessible at no cost. 

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 07:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

As an infrequent visitor to Gettysburg,( 3 times in the last 8 years ) I have to say that although I understand your comments, especially Bama's remark about the toilets, $7.50 on top of trans-atlantic airfares, car hire and accomodation sounds like a bargain to me. I live in the shadow of Dover Castle, rich in history and a busy tourist attraction but prohibitive cost wise in comparison to Gettysburg,$21 just for entry. Most of our National historical sites here in the UK charge similar fees. Last time I was at Antietam I think I paid $2 entry, I couldn't park my car for that here.

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 07:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I have a Senior Park card that allows me to enter free to any park that charges for entrance.  I am sure though since this is a private visitors center it would cost me to enter Of course that is a bargain compared to the 10 dollars I was told I had to pay to see Mt Rushmore.  It was not for the park.  It was for parking which has been sold to private company .  Since there was no other parking in the area.  I had to pay.  I don't usually see the films at the visitors center I would rather spend the time on the field .  I would like to see the Cylorama as I did see it a few years ago and was so disappointed as I had just seen the Atlanta one and there was no comparison in how they were displayed . 

Living in California who knows though when I will get back to Gettysburg .  Oh well.

Susan

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 07:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

But Bama just think if they think they can make money on them they might start charging . hee hee

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 08:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

In fact, Susan, they might make MORE money off of that! When I read Ed's first post, I laughed out loud! That's what I was thinking!

I have to say that, no, in the scheme of things, $7.50 doesn't seem like a lot (in fact, when you add in the Cyclorama, which I can't wait to see, it seems pretty decent to me), unless you have a big family, of course. But I've seen the movie, and that fee seemed like a lot for 22 minutes of what you got. And for some reason I feel a little uneasy about charging for the museum part. Maybe that's just leftover feelings from the old VC, I don't know. Ah, for the good old days of musty downstairs exhibits and the gleaming rows of correctly identified weapons!

Remember, though, folks, this new VC is the first for-profit VC in the park system, and like with any firsts, they're testing to see if it flies, or draws flies. The goal of the for-profit running it is to--surprise--make money! Oh, and give the Park Service a bit, too. In a perfect world, the government would have an abundant amount of money to give the national parks, and the majority of the citizens would make sure they did so. This isn't a perfect world (as those of you who've been following the "Laugh out loud" discussion know), though, so the Park Service has to figure out other ways to embellish their budget. Is this the way to do it?

Can I say, "Hell, no!" without Joe monitoring me?! Of course, that just my opinion!

Pam

Posted: Thu Sep 18th, 2008 09:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

The only for-fee is the movie and cyclorama. The bookstore (why bother), park service, restrooms, etc. are no charge.

Doc C

Current time is 10:10 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3836 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 28 queries executed.