Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

War of attrition versus might? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 7th, 2008 10:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
41st Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Mr. Steele,

Could you expand on Montgomery's and Kesserling's opinions? You have piqued my interest.

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 12:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
42nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

After War 2 Monty came over to visit his old comrade, now President Ike. THe travelled to Ikes favorite field and toured several battlefields and Monty made his opinion that both Meade & Lee should have been cashiered for their respective performances at Gettysburg. Ike didn't care for the opinion and they apparently had some rather long and involved discussions about Lee in particular. Stephen Ambrose touches on it in his biography of Eisenhower and I've been told there is something in depth written about at it in the library at the Point... or maybe the Eisenhower library.

Field Marshall Kesserling was unimpressed w/ Lee's perfromance in particular around Petersburg. His comments were essentialy that Lee allowed himself to be bottled up and pinned down w/out even the ability for real counterstrikes completely surrendering the initiative. As to the context, I don't recall off hand. IIRC I stumbled across it while reading a study of the Italian campaign several years ago. He didn't think highly of US General Officers because of what he referenced to (IIRC) the "Lee syndrome" believing they emulated Lee when they should have been studying Grant.

Another example would be how the ACW was studied at the Suvorov schools in the old USSR. The concentration was on the Vicksburg & IIRC the 2nd Manasas campaigns as well as Wilson's Selma campaign. A concentration on logistics, mobility and aggressive audacity. My Russian friend refered to the Chanclorsville Campaign as a perfect example of how battles are won in the will. Hooker lost not because he was beaten but because he thought he was beaten.

Aleks felt Lee was lucky in facing a string of patently incompetent opponents. But when he faced a competent adversery like Grant or even Meade he was stymied. But then Aleks came from a school that taught aggression and audacity above all else.

Aleks was what anyone who knew him would call a professional soldier of the highest order. While the others were certainly what any student would call Professionals of the highest order.

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 12:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
43rd Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

I don't disagree with any of their conclusions.

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 03:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
44th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

Do they indicate any American generals, beyond Grant, that should be emulated?

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 11:47 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
45th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Off hand I'm going to say no for the ACW period. While not ACW Aleks believed Pershing to have been one of the US's finest generals. I never really got out of him why and I wasn't/ still am not all that interetsed in WW1.

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 07:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
47th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

I've read some on War 1 but it is an era that has never really caught my interest in the way of the ACW. I have so many ACW era books on my to read list that I'm probably never gonna die.

Posted: Thu Oct 9th, 2008 02:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
48th Post
The Iron Duke

Mana: 

The Pershing statement surprises me.

Current time is 11:17 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3343 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.