Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Civil war in Indian Territory: New pics! - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 12:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Hey gang! I took another day trip into the past last weekend and thought I would again share my pics for those interested in places off the beaten path.

Honey Springs Battlefield park:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Honey%20Springs%20Battlefield%20park/?action=view&current=2a4bc7b3.pbw

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Honey%20Springs%20Battlefield%20park/?action=view&current=a16101a6.pbw

and Fort Gibson:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Fort%20Gibson/?action=view&current=b2cac1f5.pbw

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Fort%20Gibson/?action=view&current=fd3e4046.pbw

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 01:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

No fair!!! The day I was there it was pouring down rain. I didn't get to see anything but the monuments and the areas right there as it was all rain and mud. The visitors center was closed as it was a Monday. Seeing your pictures makes me want to go back again and see it without the rain and mud. I could do without the snake though.
Susan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 02:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thanks for the informative lesson Ed.  Snakes do not bother me as much as they use to .  Just don't see them around enough to know which are which in the wild. 

A few years ago I was photographing Patrick Henry's grave when out of the corner of my eye I saw what I thought was a black hose on the ground , right before my foot was going to land on it I realized it was a snake stretched out sunning it's self.  Old fears popped up and I high tailed it out of there so fast .  I didn't have time to check it's eyes.   It was BIG but may not have been as big as I thought it was. 

Now to unhijack the thread I really would like to explore that Battle field in Honey Springs more than I did the day I was there . It was so far outside town and looked so much like it must have at the time of the battle.   I loved the monuments as much as I could see them though the downpour.

Susan

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 03:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
David White

Mana: 

Capt. Crow:

Wow, there are the pictures to accompany my last day trip report when I get to it. I haven't even looked at my pictures yet, I hope they come out as good.

I'm glad to see the lab puppies are still at the Depot. I was wasn't sure if they were abandoned or belonged to the house across the road. Based on the fact you captured a shot of the Choclate lab I assume they belong to the house. He and his two black brothers came out to greet me when I was checking out the depot too.

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 10:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: No fair!!! The day I was there it was pouring down rain. I didn't get to see anything but the monuments and the areas right there as it was all rain and mud. The visitors center was closed as it was a Monday. Seeing your pictures makes me want to go back again and see it without the rain and mud. I could do without the snake though.
Susan
I actually almost stepped on the snake...I was so busy enjoying the sights that I forgot I was in the woods...he was my wake up call to start watching the trail lest I encounter one of his poisonous cousins. The weather that day was simply gorgeous! mid 70s, light breeze, sunny.....sigh.

Posted: Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 10:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

David White wrote: Capt. Crow:

Wow, there are the pictures to accompany my last day trip report when I get to it. I haven't even looked at my pictures yet, I hope they come out as good.

I'm glad to see the lab puppies are still at the Depot. I was wasn't sure if they were abandoned or belonged to the house across the road. Based on the fact you captured a shot of the Choclate lab I assume they belong to the house. He and his two black brothers came out to greet me when I was checking out the depot too.
those puppies were like nature's welcoming committee...I think they must have smelled my dog's scent or something. I wish I could have adopted them but my pitbull would get jealous.....:P

You have chosen to ignore Southern Son. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 04:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

why in the hell is anyone stupid enough to have a snake for a pet in the first place??? (sorry if i offended anyone who has a pet snake)

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 04:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Back to the topic please.

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 05:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thank you Joe.  

Holly Springs is interesting not only because of it's location but it had Members of the Colored Troops and Several Indian tribes on the Union side and many other Indian Tribes on the Confederate side.  

Also on the way to the battlefield is a small town .  I can't remember the name of it but it was an all back settlement.  I was driving though the town and saw a sign Birthplace  of John Hope Franklin.    John Hope Franklin wrote a book called the Militant South which was one of the first books I read on the Civil War way back in my Senior Thesis class in College.    An added attraction to the trip to Holly Springs.

Susan

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 10:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

While I was at the Honey Springs visitors center I picked up "A Guide to Trans-Mississippi Civil War Sites" which is a map/tour guide that covers some well known as well many lesser known civil war and civil war related site in NW Arkansas, SE Kansas, SW Missouri, & NE Oklahoma. Cemeteries, battle sites, historical markers, museums, forts etc. are listed and mapped complete with driving directions and information about each stop. This looks like a seriously cool week of civil war touring material!

Posted: Fri Oct 24th, 2008 11:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Now I am even more jealous than I was, the visitors center being closed when I was there. That map tour guide sounds like a jewel to have. Was it expensive? Would be a fun trip. I have an Osprey book by John Spencer The American Civil War in Indian Territory that is really interesting . Give it a look Capt.
Susan

Posted: Sat Oct 25th, 2008 03:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

susansweet wrote: Now I am even more jealous than I was, the visitors center being closed when I was there. That map tour guide sounds like a jewel to have. Was it expensive? Would be a fun trip. I have an Osprey book by John Spencer The American Civil War in Indian Territory that is really interesting . Give it a look Capt.
Susan
The guide was free for the taking...it's in the form of a foldable map much like the NPS guides for larger battlefield parks. I'd be more than happy to pick one up for you next time I go to HS. I have a pretty extensive (relatively speaking) collection of Indian territory themed civil war books including the Osprey title you mentioned. I like Osprey style books for their excellent color illustrations and easy to read format.

If you don't already have them here is a list of some worthwhile books on the subject.

1. Honey springs depot-Jess C. Epple
  2. Brilliant Victory-the Second civil War Battle of Cabin Creek, Indian Territory-
     Steven L. Warren
  3. General Stand Watie's Confederate Indians-Frank cunningham
  4. The Cherokee Nation in the Civil War-Clarissa W. Confer
  5. The Confederate Cherokees-John Drew's Regiment of Mounted Rifles-
      W. Craig Gaines
  6. The Prairie Was On Fire-Eyewitness Accounts of the Civil War
       in Indian Territory- Whit Edwards
  7.  The Civil War in Indian Territory- by Steve Cottrell and Andy Thomas
  8.  The Civil War in Indian Territory- by Lary C. Rampp (hard to find and can be-
        expensive).
  9.  Sam Bell Maxey and the Confedrate Indians-John C. Waugh (I haven't-
       read this one but it is part of a well done series of short works on little-
       known mostly Trans-Mississippi subjects).
 10. The Blue, the Gray, & the Red-Indian Campaigns in the Civil War-

Thom Hatch

Posted: Sat Oct 25th, 2008 05:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thanks Capt.  Great list .  I will add them to my wish list.  Not allowed to buy anymore books til I read some of the ones I have stacked up to read .  Exception is if I don't have the book for the two book discussion groups I belong to . 

I would love to have a copy of that map.  Let me know when you are going again and I will pm you where to send it.  I really apreciate it.  My Mama was raised in Heavener Oklahoma, My grandparents lived in Poteau, I have a great grandfather buried in Muldrow.  My grandfather and Uncle are buried in Hodgen .  I spent part of each summer visiting my grandparents in Poteau.  We would always drive out to Hodgen to see my great Uncle Burt on his farm.  We had to go by Peter Consers House or as my grandparents called him Uncle Peter .  He was one of the Choctaw Light Brigade that kept the peace in IT at the turn of the last century.  

Funny though in all the years of visiting I never heard Civil War stories.  That is why I was so surprised to find Holly Springs as it isn't that far from LeFlore County . 

Thanks again for the offer and the list .

Susan

Posted: Sat Oct 25th, 2008 11:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

don't mention it Susan. I'll probably stop by Honey Springs on the way home from Little Rock after Thanksgiving.

Current time is 04:54 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2781 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 30 queries executed.