Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

calvary - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 3rd, 2010 11:48 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
smnptrout

Mana: 

how can i find out the locations of the north's and south's calvary stables--and pics if possib le

Posted: Thu Feb 4th, 2010 02:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

The Kentucky horse park had a Civil War exhibit a few years ago. It had a large part dedicated to the depots that rehabalitated mounts and had a lot of photographs. If that is what you are looking for.  

Posted: Fri Feb 12th, 2010 06:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

So far as I'm aware, there were no "stables" in the modern sense of the word, as cavalry implies mobility.

I am aware of remount stations and rehab stations, as j harold has mentioned, on the Union side, but I've seen no reference to the equivalent on the Confederate side. I can't help with where and how many.

May I ask what's your interest?

Ole

Posted: Fri Feb 12th, 2010 08:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
fedreb

Mana: 

I have a photo, too large for me to scan, in a book called Landscapes of the Civil War, photos from the Medford Historical Society edit by Constance Sullivan, of Giesboro Point DC, near Fort Carroll, which is described as both Cavalry Stables and remount depot. I've tried to find it on Google images but no luck.

Posted: Fri Feb 12th, 2010 12:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

You may want to check the library of congress photo archives for period photos.

Posted: Fri Feb 12th, 2010 03:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
smnptrout

Mana: 

I have an interest in civil war bits,saddles etc.A couple of weeks ago,a local "junk guy" approached me saying he had some old tack he wanted to show me.I followed him to his van.The van was loaded with old,old tack.Saddle trees,a a bunch of old morgan saddles,bits galore,rings,buckles,old stiff bridles,spurs,rosettes,chains,mclellan saddles,mcclellan saddle trees,brass sheilds marked cs,a couple of canvas saddles marked columbas ga arsenal,single strapped saddle bags,2 of the saddle trees had a cs sheild on the back,saw a couple of valise's,and a jennifer saddle--I bought it all---he said he bought the stuff from a guy who bought it from a guy who said it laid in an old confederate calvary stable for may years,the stable was close to new market va,a guy bought it it in the 70's and piled it in his barn close to Beckley WVa where it laid for several years,until someone else boughtit and so on.Junk Man Jimmy bought it from and elderly woman who lived outside of Hunington WVa--She has just bought the place and wanted the barn cleaned out.Jimmy's cousin lived close by and contacted him about getting all the stuff out of the barn.I was just wondering for the sake of history if there was indeed a calvary stable in New Market,and if possible a photo of it...

Posted: Fri Feb 12th, 2010 04:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

I hope you do not thinkI am being a wet blanket, but I doubt that your purchase is all civil war tack. I do not beleive the confederate states produced CS saddle shields.

Mcclellan type saddles were in use into the start of WWII. There are many good books with pictures on civil war tack. I have seen them but do not have titles as that is not my area of intrest. 

Posted: Fri Feb 12th, 2010 05:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
smnptrout

Mana: 

you are right--most of the mclellans are post  civil war---you are no wet blanket--90% is probably non- civil war stuff---according to an antique person I know,who knows some about antique saddles,the jennifer saddle is a fake,the morgan saddles are the real thing but that does not mean they were confederate saddles,the canvas saddles are fakes,the canvas or cloth too new...the bits? who knows.......in other words......or as someone once said...."If it sounds too good to be true".........Isn't the conferate calvary museum in new market?maybe that's how the untruths began..oh well..I can always take comfort in my collection of plastic vodks bottles.I know they're for real.

Posted: Fri Feb 12th, 2010 06:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

All is not lost, trout. There might yet be some really desirable stuff in there.

Ole

Current time is 03:22 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3410 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 25 queries executed.