Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

South carolina and the Confederate flag - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 19th, 2010 11:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
61st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

People, People, People (as Chill Wills would say). This whole issue of the cbf simply boils down to 2 issues - 1) the flag of civil war and what it represents - the heroism of those who fought under it, irregardless of whether they were right or wrong, 2) the flag of brain dead hate mongers who have no idea of southern history. As I've mentioned before in a past post, I once had a lengthy discussion with one of my physician colleagues who was an afro-american originally from South Carolina. He didn't have a problem with the historical cbf but what really caused him much pain was the fact that the kkk and other hate groups had used it. Having grown up in the era of segregation in Louisiana I could see his point. I for one will never display it. The only groups I feel who should are those reenactors who do so in a historical context. This is totally my opinion for what its worth. My philosophy has always been to find things which I have in common rather than differences.

Doc C

Posted: Sat Feb 20th, 2010 01:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
62nd Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

A flag is only a symbol meant to represent some entity. A symbol can become: "Tarnished" in the minds of men because it comes to be associated with evildoers who adopt it. However, that does not make the symbol itself evil.

Certainly the best example in recent history is the swastika adopted by Nazi Germany. There is no symbol more reviled nowadays by many millions, but for thousands of years it had a postive connotation in eastern religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism. At one time it was commonly associated with good luck. Because the Nazi Party adopted it, its original meaning was distorted by those viewing it since the early 20th Century.

Similarly, the Confederate Battle Flag was a symbol that men followed into battle. It certainly had a positive connotation in the beginning as representing brave soldiers fighting for their cause. Because groups of evil people chose to carry it after the war does not make it evil, except in the minds of some. The sad part about it is that the symbol cannot be : "Rehabilitated" at present or probably any time soon. Those who are offended by it will continue to associate it with evil people who committed criminal acts, rather than the original soldiers who followed it into battle.

Because groups such as the KKK and the German Bund carried the U.S. flag, that does not make the U.S. flag evil. No doubt many reprehensible acts were committed by those carrying the flag in many places throughout its history. But since it represents America as a whole, this symbol has not suffered the same fate as the battle flag. The vast majority of Americans are unable to view their country as a whole as being evil. This proves only that some symbols can be twisted in the minds of men more easily than others.

Posted: Sat Feb 20th, 2010 03:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
63rd Post
19bama46

Mana: 

Johan,

with respect, that is the flag of my ancestors and those peverted pussnuts do not have a right to it. We will take back what is ours by heritage, maybe not in my lifetime, but we will take it back and restore it to the honor it deserves, As a soldier's flag.

Posted: Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 12:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
64th Post
borderuffian

Mana: 

borderuffian wrote: Hollywood has been known to 'flag-up' certain events.

...and Hollywood is the main culprit in the 'image problem' for the Confederate flag

There have been several flag-baiting movies produced over the years.  The most recent I believe was Glory Road.

Posted: Mon Mar 1st, 2010 08:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
65th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Bama, it will be men like you and Larry who do it.  Unfortunately, I think you have a hard row to hoe.  Good Luck

Posted: Tue Mar 2nd, 2010 03:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
66th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

BorderRuffian, perhaps you would be so kind as to list acceptable Hollywood use of the CBF.

Posted: Fri Mar 12th, 2010 07:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
67th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

TimK wrote: I have no problem with people that are proud of their heritage. However to many, many people, this flag has become a symbol of hate. Blacks, Jewish people, Catholics, and most anybody that doesn't believe in white supremacy have over time learned to see hate when they see this flag. Right or wrong, that is what it has evolved into.

Okay hold on now I find fault in this. I am Catholic and Mexican and I dont like the KKK or any of thoughs others who cower behinde it. They dont know the true meaning of that flag, but I do. It was a Batlle Flag not a National flag as most believe in and my ancestors followed a cause in wich they believed in not some flag yes when they surrendered at the end of the war they cried as they were torn to bits and burned or taken away from them, but it was a symbol. I see no hate in that flag just the people who use it in that way. A symbol is just a symbol no matter how you use it. Just cause it was used as a white supremacist symbol doesnt mean thats what I see it as. Sorry if I am rambling. I just cant seem to put it into words.

Posted: Sat Mar 13th, 2010 08:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
68th Post
HankC

Mana: 

South Carolina and the CBF are like a 60 year old wearing bell bottoms, tank tops and no bra.

they...just...dont...get...it...

;)

HankC

Posted: Sat Mar 13th, 2010 08:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
69th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Posted: Sun Mar 14th, 2010 07:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
70th Post
borderuffian

Mana: 

Javal is the moderator.

I guess that gives us an idea of what type of 'moderating' we have here...

Posted: Sun Mar 14th, 2010 07:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
71st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Have I stopped the thread? Even though you and I are 180 degrees apart, the thread goes on. Never "pulled rank". Never said you had to stop what I consider your re-writing of history.Guess when you can't rebut logically, you distract.

Posted: Sun Mar 14th, 2010 07:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
72nd Post
borderuffian

Mana: 

Confederate flag...never flew over one of these-

Posted: Sun Mar 14th, 2010 07:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
73rd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

The north is not without sin. Never said it was. But they never began a war that killed hundreds of thousands to preserve the institution. Oh, that's right - state's rights and all that....

Posted: Sun Mar 14th, 2010 08:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
74th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Reb til Death-

I'm glad you are proud of your Mexican/Catholic/Southern heritage. You should be. I also wish that everybody viewed the CBF the way you do. Unfortunately, most people don't. Your anger should be directed at the people you say cower behind the flag - not me.

Posted: Mon Mar 15th, 2010 11:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
75th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

HankC wrote: South Carolina and the CBF are like a 60 year old wearing bell bottoms, tank tops and no bra.

;)

HankC

Forgive me for asking this question but I would be interested in knowing what part of America do you live in?

Last edited on Mon Mar 15th, 2010 11:45 am by Old Blu

Posted: Mon Mar 15th, 2010 12:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
76th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Why does it matter?

Posted: Mon Mar 15th, 2010 01:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
77th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: Why does it matter?

It really doesn't matter.  Just curious.  But since I read his bio I think I know.

Posted: Mon Mar 15th, 2010 06:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
78th Post
Reb till death

Mana: 

TimK it is not towards you. I said I hate thoughs who use it wrong and are white supremsits. If you are nethier we have no problems. As for everything else Javal has a point yall. We tend to forget some things about our Heritage. I am a proud descendant of ex Confederate Soldiers who owned no slave and wanted states rights. If it was for the slavery I am no sure I would be so proud. Slaves are wrong. One should never own anoher. It was just as much a part of this war as States Rights and Industry over Farming. Before I present myself to any class wearing that uniform I always say I fight for Rights not Slaves. I nor did my ancestors ever own a single on during the Civil War. Once I say that they listen not just look at me with disgust but listen to what I say and understand what and why some men fought for the south.  The thing is classes in the north teach about everything against the south and the south does the same thing in the classrooms to the north. We fix that and maybe students the future will understand that the flag only means what it does to the KKK or whoever uses it that way.

Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2010 06:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
79th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Old Blu wrote: HankC wrote: South Carolina and the CBF are like a 60 year old wearing bell bottoms, tank tops and no bra.

;)

HankC

Forgive me for asking this question but I would be interested in knowing what part of America do you live in?

Thanks for asking ;)

I was born and raised in the Old Dominion, attended a small, conservative, southern university and then moved to and then married in the Tar Heel state (beat Dook!).

We are now raising a family in the Show me state...

HankC

Posted: Tue Mar 16th, 2010 10:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
80th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Hank

IMHO, the term "brother against brother" means only Missouri. My family is a seesaw, one side owned Federick Douglass, descendents of Lee, Buchanan, Ruffin; on the other ancestor of Harriet Beecher Stowe, Salmon Chase, Spencer.
Will always respect the CBF but will never display it.

Doc C

Current time is 10:05 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2163 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 31 queries executed.