Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Trip to Battelfield Sites - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2010 01:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Irish-

You might be wondering about the pronunciation of: "Ole."

If he was Spanish, it might have been derived from a football chant. "Ole" in that case would be pronounced: "Oh-lay." But thats not the case.

Ole is actually a strange given name, and apparently it doesn't refer to his advanced age. It seems that it rhymes with: "Vole," though I might be wrong about that. But, then, his middle name is: "Marlin."    ;)

Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2010 02:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
19bama46

Mana: 

ole wrote: And, whatever they tell you here. Grits still suck.

Ole

there you go again, trying to mislead the poor Irishman. that's not nice

Actually, Irish, Grits are a very good nutritous food that southernors love and yankees just can't understand  :D

Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2010 10:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
IrishBrigade

Mana: 

Good to see this thread is generating lots of chat.

Old Blu - The maps are excellent, it's a great resource.

Thanks for the tripadvisor link, I got invaluable advice from there several times and never thought of it for this trip.

Java1, yes I got some free stuff posted to me from civil war traveller, again a very good resource.

Ole - I always thought it was pronounced O-Lee? Thanks for the driving advice. I must admit to liking porridge so I might give the grits a go, over here we have a popular Breakfast item called black pudding that's actually made with Pig's blood, can't say I like it myself but again it's part of the cultural experience. I can't remember some other southern delicacy but it was made with the remnants of a chicken, Chitlins or something like that it was called, sounded bad.

After some good browsing yesterday I discovered I can get the train to Fredricksburg and Manassas from DC, I can also get an Amtrak to Baltimore so I can drive to Gettysburg from there then all the way to Richmond. I've to do some checking with Amtrak regarding getting back to DC from Richmond or near there.

Thanks for the responses, if any of you are thinking of heading the other way across the Atlantic I will try and help them out now that the Euro-Dollar is a bit better for you guys.

Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2010 01:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
ole

Mana: 

Yes. It is Scandinavian, but a Texan wouldn't know a Norske if he got bit by one.

You might want to rethink that train thing. Again, I'm in the midwest and can't speak for the trains in the east, but you have to know that trains in the States are not quite so reliable as trains in your part of the world.

Enjoy your time. The hardest part of your tour will be deciding what to skip (aside from grits).

Ole

Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2010 04:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Mark

Mana: 

Is there a Lena to go with the Ole? I grew up listening to my Grandfater tell Ole and Lena stories--he was only one generation removed from Norway. Cheers!

Mark

Posted: Thu Apr 1st, 2010 08:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

ole...I had some grits with my breakfast today and they were delicious...as were the biscuits with sausage gravy....just thought you should know.

Posted: Fri Apr 2nd, 2010 12:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Welcome to the board, Irish!

I live about 2 hours east of Gettysburg, near Philadelphia, and have spent a lot of time at the 'Burg. Someone else suggested getting a licensed battlefield guide while you are there--definitely worth the money, and you can request cerrain things you'd like to see, or just have "The Tour." I've stayed at the Travelodge there, which is nice because it's near the battlefield and plenty of places to eat (try The Avenue, the typical American diner). The Gettysburg Hotel is right on the Square in the middle of town right between the train station (where Lincoln arrived and left for the dedication of the national cemetery) and the newly opened Wills House, where Lincoln stayed in Gettysburg. There are a couple good eateries within walking distance (The Pub, Mama Ventura's, the Lincoln Diner), but the Hotel is kinds pricey. I've also stayed outside of town on Route 15 (it takes about 10 minutes from there to get to the Visitor Center).

Don't miss Antietam; it's close to Gettysburg (about 1 1/2 hours, max) and it is, as someone here said, pretty pristine. The Sunken Road feels eerily like you'd expect shooting any minute. There's not much in the way of food or lodging in Sharpsburg, so plan to stay in Hagerstown, which is just down the road.

I also have a soft spot for Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Wilderness and Spotsylvania, which, if you stay near one, you can do all of them, they're that close. Plus, you can see Guinea Station, where Stonewall Jackson died. Don't be disappointed by Fredericksburg; there's nearly none of the "original" battlefield left, the town grew over it. If you get to Fredericksburg, don't miss Chatham Manor across the river with a great view of the city (ask a guide for directions), and if you get to Chancellorsville and the Wilderness, go see Ellwood, which is where Stonewall Jackson's amputated arm is buried, in the tiny Lacey family cemetery there. Unfortunately, be warned that the outskirts of Fredericksburg are pretty much a good example of American suburban sprawl, but there are some good battlefield sites left around there.

I don't know about the trains available, but the roads in PA and MD are pretty well-marked, and if you follow I95 south from, say, DC, it'll take you to Richmond, Petersburg, and Pamplin Military Park. Major highway, but a good connector between major sites.

Pam

Posted: Sat Apr 3rd, 2010 02:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

ole wrote: Irish: America is somewhat different. At Gettysburg there are literally hundreds of small shops more than willing to take your money. At Sharpsburg, the last time I was there, there was nowhere to spend an overnight and, at the last visit, just a bar in town where you could get a weak Ameican beer and a hot sandwich.

Crapshoot. You can go here and be overwhelmed with facilities, and you can go there and find nothing.

But you have linked into a board wherein you can get up-to-date information on where to go, where to stay, and where to eat.

I do hope you learn to appreciate grits. I never have and may never, but ... if you don't sample grits somewhere in your tour, you have not actually sampled American cuisine. We fed that crap to the pigs. And. if you see scrapple on the menu, just go for the sausage and eggs and the pancakes. Culture shock can be overwhelming.

Do let us know how your plans prgress.

Ole

It is amazing sometimes the differences between battlefields.  Gettysburg is very commercial, while 148 years later, Shiloh is still out in the middle of nowhere.

Posted: Sat Apr 3rd, 2010 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Irish.  About them grits.  When you get a bowl,  salt, pepper, and a glob of butter to your satisfaction, and they are HOT!!  If they are not hot,
fergedaboudit!! or send them back for a refund seeing as how you be traveling and can apply it back to a gas purchase.

Have a good trip. :D

Last edited on Sat Apr 3rd, 2010 08:58 pm by Old Blu

Posted: Sat Apr 3rd, 2010 09:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
ole

Mana: 

That's pretty dang regional, Old Blu. Some like molasses, some like hot sauce, some like brown sugar. Some like them creamy and some like them with more mouth feel. I like them in the garbage can. (Do they still say dust-bin on that side of the pond?)

Then again, some of y'all southrons might object to my quick breakfast: toasted white bread, two fried eggs (yolks broken and mixed), and two crisp slices of bacon. With mustard. Maybe a dash or two of hot sauce. With pickled garlic cloves on the side.

Hey! Maybe I'll do the egg sandwich with anchovies the next time! Yumm.

Ole

Posted: Sat Apr 3rd, 2010 11:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

ole wrote: That's pretty dang regional, Old Blu. Some like molasses, some like hot sauce, some like brown sugar. Some like them creamy and some like them with more mouth feel. I like them in the garbage can. (Do they still say dust-bin on that side of the pond?)

Then again, some of y'all southrons might object to my quick breakfast: toasted white bread, two fried eggs (yolks broken and mixed), and two crisp slices of bacon. With mustard. Maybe a dash or two of hot sauce. With pickled garlic cloves on the side.

Hey! Maybe I'll do the egg sandwich with anchovies the next time! Yumm.

Ole

That sounds like soul food to me.  Now just add them good old Grits

Current time is 09:21 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1889 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 28 queries executed.