Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Charleston 2011 - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Aug 4th, 2010 01:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Old Blue Light

Mana: 

We do a Civil War themed trip every year, and want to go to Charleston for the 150th anniversary of the firing on Ft. Sumter.  In previous years, we have done Gettysburg and Harper's Ferry/Antietam.

My concern is whether there will be enough going on in Charleston in April 2011 to make for a rich Civil War experience.  I've been told that the city of Charleston plans to do little to commemorate one of the most important events in American history.  Besides the ferry ride out to Ft.  Sumter, what is there to do in Charleston that is Civil War related that can provide us with 3 days of activity? 

Is anyone else going down in April for this historic event?  Will there be activites planned?  If anyone can provide a Civil War related itinerary for us, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted: Wed Aug 4th, 2010 08:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

You may want to try the visitors bureau, or chamber of commerece. they probably have an on line site.

Posted: Wed Aug 4th, 2010 11:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

http://www.historiccharlestonsc.net/

http://sc150civilwar.palmettohistory.org/

http://fortsumtertrust.org/rosen.html

I hope this helps. good luck.

Posted: Fri Aug 6th, 2010 02:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Activities or not, Charleston is an excellent historical experience. Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie, The Hunley, historic homes, Fort Pickney, The Yorktown naval museum, The Military museum, the Nuclear Submariners memorial, The Isle of Palms, The USS Laffey, not to mention the great seafood...

Posted: Fri Aug 6th, 2010 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Besides Fort Sumter , there is quite a bit to do and see.  The Confederate Museum in the Market place, 

Fort Moultrie

The Hunley and the cemetery of the crew

Fort Lamar which has earthworks .  It is part of the battle of Sessionville .

Get a Blue and Gray Magazine on the Battle of Sessionville and follow the route.

If you have time to get out of town, there is a model of the David at Berekely Plantation near Monck's Corners  It is on the site where the David was built.

If you get up to Columbia there is even more to see . I won't list it unless you think you are going there.

Posted: Fri Aug 6th, 2010 02:22 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Castle Pinckney can not be visited but you will see it on the trip out to Fort Sumter.  It is a favorite site of mine in Charleston .  I want to go on the island so bad.

Susan

Posted: Fri Aug 6th, 2010 01:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
barrydancer

Mana: 

I'd love to go poke around Castle Pinckney, too. I wish something more could be done to preserve it. I did a paper on its sister fortifications in New York Harbor, Castle Williams and Castle Clinton, in grad school. The engineer only designed three of these "forts circulaires," and they're marvels of design. They were the first casemated fortifications in America and rounded in order to be able to completely cover with fire the arcs they were intended to defend.

Anywho, I love Charleston.

Posted: Fri Aug 6th, 2010 01:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Barry I agree I love Charleston .  I just love taking the cruise around the harbor and seeing all the sights from the water.  I would love to be in a private boat and cruise around Castle Pinckney to spend more time looking at it.  Being out on the water with a map of the Civil War period gives you a new view of what was going on at the time.  So much happened in that small area. 

I have a good imagination I can see what happened in my minds eye when I am out on a boat there.

Susan

Posted: Sat Aug 7th, 2010 01:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

It is quite the tease going past the Pickney site and not being able to actually explore it....I gotta get back to Charleston soon.

Posted: Sat Aug 7th, 2010 01:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

It sure is a tease.  With the telephoto lense on my camera I can see more than with the naked eye.  The building looks so interesting .  Depending on the time of day the island changes size with the tides.  It's a treasure sitting there in the middle of the harbor. 

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2010 01:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
ole

Mana: 

Please keep posting. I am planning to do Charleston next summer and can use all the help I can get as Dear One is not particularly fascinated with CW things.

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2010 01:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Ole there are many things for Dear One in Charleston . There is the Tea Plantation , The Carriage tour of Charleston where you see all the beautiful old houses.
There are the Plantations outside town along the River . The gardens in them are beautiful Magnolia has tours of the swamp by boat, a ride though the plantation by little train type cars, gardens and a house to visit on your own.

The Middleton planation has all kinds of things to do and see .

Out past Sullivan Island and Mount Pleasant is another Plantation

The Sweet Grass basket sellers all over Charleston and out Highway 17 headed to Georgetown are great to see and buy. Expensive but nobody stops you from looking .
Lots of good places to eat down around the Market .
You would have a great time both of you.
Miss Susan

Posted: Sun Aug 8th, 2010 01:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

Ole if you have questions email me .

Last edited on Sun Aug 8th, 2010 01:34 am by susansweet3

Posted: Mon Nov 15th, 2010 04:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
150thjourney

Mana: 

check out sites-low counrty civil war commemeration,the firing on fort sumter-preparing for the 150th anniversary,palmetto baltalion,impressions 150th and claude sinclair on an reenactors website had info,plus fort johnson on james island has stuff going on-there nust be more .i found stuff just by google searches.i plan to be in aboat in the harbor at 4-30 am april 12th to hear the cannon

Current time is 10:09 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1828 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 25 queries executed.