Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

My Fall ACW photography trip. - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Aug 17th, 2010 10:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I'm thinking Kentucky...I'll admit it...I've read very little about the war there, but I've heard Perryville is nicely preserved. I'll probably go there the second week in October.
Any suggestions on other places to visit,  Fall scenery, etc?

Posted: Wed Aug 18th, 2010 02:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Old North State

Mana: 

Richmond is well worth a visit also!

Posted: Wed Aug 18th, 2010 04:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

You should schedule a day at Bardstown. IMHO one of the best ACW museums of the western theater for original items displayed as groupings by who owned the items. I was not impressed with the women of the ACW museum but have heard that it has improved considerably.

You may also want to catch the Steven Foster My old Kentucky home for a tour of a well done Kentucky mansion, and a musical featuring his songs.

Perryville is a well preserved state owned field. It also has a nice small museum which focuses on recollections of  local residents prior to and following the battle.

The Lincoln's Birth site and Knob Creek farm are also very close to Bards town.

Posted: Wed Aug 18th, 2010 11:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Richmond...check.
Bardstown...check.

Posted: Tue Aug 24th, 2010 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet3

Mana: 

The civil War Chat room group went to Bardstown as headquarters and then did Perryville , up to Lexington to see The Todd house , and some of us went to Richmond. That is Richmond Kentucky . It was a great trip . Some of us on the way home went to Mill Springs where Zollicoffer was killed and Cumberland Gap. Blue and Gray has a magazine on both Perryville and Richmond. The Richmond one was brand new when we last year. The are several other places to visit in the area. would be a great trip. The Stephen Foster place is hoaky . I skipped the house tour and wish I had skipped the musical. Waste of money as far as I was concerned. Friends that went to Bardstown later went into the home and turned around and left . There is an inn in the town square area that is an old old inn and the food is wonderful.

Oh and not too far away also is Hodgenville and the cabin in the shrine where Lincoln was born. Not the real cabin they have found out since the shrine was built but worth the trip.
Tebb's Bend is around there too. Where Morgan did some raiding on July 4, 1963. Does this help Captain ?
Susan

Posted: Tue Aug 24th, 2010 09:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

LOL! Yes that should fill my plate nicely Susan...those Blue and Gray mags are awesome...I actually used one in Mississippi to get my self un-lost while looking for Champion's Hill.

Posted: Thu Nov 11th, 2010 09:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

Hello all, do you have your 2011 CW Trip plans for 2011 yet?  I am thinking that 2011 will bring a Gettysburg, Monacacy, Harper's Ferry, Antietam trip in either May or June?  I would sure like to hear from Pam, Capt Crow and Ole

Posted: Sat Nov 13th, 2010 12:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Hey Barlow,

The only sure thing so far is that I'll be going to Gettysburg for my usual week in July 2011, and probably a bunch of day trips our there, too. Depending on how things go, I might also try to talk either my husband or a friend of mine into Fredericksburg /Chancellorsville (haven't been there for about five years; I wonder if there's anything left?) and Antietam. I have a feeling our big trip will be definitely not CW this summer, but Disney: Disney World in June.

Pam

Posted: Sat Nov 13th, 2010 05:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
9Bama

Mana: 

My 2011 plans will be infuenced 100% by my wife's health. did not get a 2010 trip, may not get a '11 trip either.

Posted: Sun Nov 14th, 2010 06:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Basiliximab

Mana: 

I have the dates pretty much planned out, just not the exact locations. I'm planning for a week in early May to Gettysburg and the Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville area; perhaps I'll try to fit Antietam in there since it's not too incredibly far. Just returned from a trip to Gettysburg in October; didn't expect to like it as much as I did (expected it to be too "touristy"). I'll definitely be going back there frequently (like to avoid the touristy times as much as possible. The weather was kind of "bad" when I was there [rainy/cool]. But I loved it! I'm hoping it kept the crowds down).

In October I also went to Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville, and I thought there was a fair amount left (Chancellorsville moreso than Fredericksburg, but then I spent more time in C. and hurried through F--that's why I'm definitely going to have to go back and take more time there). The last time I was in the area was about 15 years ago (and I don't remember it too well since I was with others who weren't much into it as I am), so I'm not sure if is really different or anything. This time I went by myself; I was kind of thinking I might feel "alone" or something--but I didn't feel that way at all. Actually I was glad not to have anyone else there; it was the best vacation yet!

Posted: Wed Nov 17th, 2010 10:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I take all my trips alone...I get more in the moment when I'm not constantly distracted...plus I'm kind of a hermit at heart any way LOL!

Posted: Thu Nov 18th, 2010 06:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ole

Mana: 

2011. June. We'll take off and stop at Shiloh. Then we'll go to Charleston and Savannah. After those specifics, I'll try to sneak in some stops I'd like. Other than that, no telling what we might do. Might even come back through Virginia.

We have the fortunate proclivity in that we actually like each other. We can drive for hours and hours and not run out of things to talk about.

But the ultimate point is Charleston. I haven't yet told her that Sumter will be on my list. And I'll need to see where the Swamp Angel was stationed. For that, I'll have to walk the walk and talk the talk in the old town.

Most of y'all who've been married a long time know what I'm saying. It will be fun.

Posted: Mon Dec 13th, 2010 08:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

I'm pretty new to this site. I'm a big Civil War buff and was talking good natured smack about the war with a friend of mine from Alabama and he gave me this link. I am planning on hitting the Civil War tour trail hard in 2011. I've been to Shiloh, Ft Donelson, Chattanooga, and Vicksburg when I was little. Last year on travel I realized Manassas was 15 mins from my hotel and went down and checked it out. So now I'm making big plans for next year.

Captain Crow did you get to see Perryville? I had planned on hitting that battlefield last October but it didn't pan out.

Posted: Fri Dec 17th, 2010 09:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

My Kentucky trip was postponed due to some personal issues that had to be dealt with. I did get to take a long weekend in NW Arkansas as a consolation trip. I saw Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge...unfortunately I didn't get there early enough so most of my pics are shot with mid-day sun blazing away. Oh well maybe next year lol.

Posted: Fri Dec 17th, 2010 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Here are the links to my pics for those interested.

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Pea%20Ridge%202010/

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z116/jackrox_2007/Prairie%20Grove%202010/

Posted: Sat Dec 25th, 2010 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Thanks for sharing those pics Captain.  I love seeing the different battlefields.  I'm planning on a big Civil War tour next year of Tennessee and perhaps Virginia.

Last edited on Sat Dec 25th, 2010 01:41 am by BHR62

Current time is 08:37 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3744 seconds (17% database + 83% PHP). 24 queries executed.