Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Put You on the Spot: What's Your Favorite "Part" of the Civil War?

Put You on the Spot: What's Your Favorite "Part" of the Civil War? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Oct 24th, 2010 10:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

150thjourney wrote: after reading scamp i will now say my favorite part is the way people think lincoln was like stalin or hitler or pol pot,i woundnt censor those remarks-who cares if people want to believe all that-
Javal's board; Javal's rules. Simple as that.

Posted: Sun Dec 12th, 2010 05:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
BHR62

Mana: 

Very hard to nail it down to one. But the valor shown by the North in assaulting the Stonewall at Fredricksburg amazes me. Stepping over their wounded and dying comrades in the process of advancing. Going right into the teeth of that Rebel fire and trying to hold on until they got reinforcements is amazing.

Posted: Mon Dec 13th, 2010 02:46 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
Old North State

Mana: 

Favorite "part" of the CW?  Its complexity.

Posted: Tue Dec 14th, 2010 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

For me, I like reading Confederat first person accounts.....The viewpoint of the common soldier.

Any reenactor who has "gone through the window" feels 1/100 of what those guys really lived......I like studying that and getting that feeling, though I can never acheive it completely, thank God......

Posted: Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 02:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Gunsmoke

Mana: 

Since you indicated a "what-if" could be considered as an answer to you query, I would have to say "What if Jackson had not been fatally wounded that night in the woods around Chancellorsville and had remained in charge of his corps at Gettysburg.  What if Lee had given him the same directive as Ewell...that if practicable...Culps hill should be taken...?  Is there any doubt that Jackson would have reacted much differently than Dick Ewell?  What if Jacksons corps had taken the hill and rolled down Cemetery Ridge thereby gaining the "good" ground and forcing yet another assault by Union forces against Confederates holding the high ground.....What If!!!

Posted: Mon Jan 3rd, 2011 01:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
Hamy3

Mana: 

My 'favorite" part is the technology gains made during the war. It's facinating to see what some of the solutions were to the problems encountered. While Rube Goldberg would have been proud of some of the attempts, given the expanding knowledge base of the day it's amazing at what was accopmlished.
The Civil War saw many technological firsts, armored warships, an air war of sorts, rail transportation, multi firing weapons, and the first operationaly successful submarine are only a few advances that are noteworthy.
Medical care was improved with new techniques and equipment, as well as communications. The list is long, and it's this area that on the whole that I find most interesting.
Sure I enjoy unit histories, individual action accounts and the like, but overall for me it's the technology.

Doug

Posted: Thu Jun 7th, 2012 07:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I remember this as a good question when it was first posted and as there have been new folks to join since it was last active I'm gonna bring it back up. Yeah, I know folks can search through the threads and find it if they want, but I was looking through old threads recently and was reminded about a comment on how folks sometimes notice a thread more when it's on th CWI front page as one of the active threads.

Posted: Fri Jun 8th, 2012 03:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
HankC

Mana: 

my favorites have evolved through the combat and the generals and the poitics to currently 'how freedom came' to the previously slave-holding areas.

as the union occupies various parts of the south, obvously the economy has to keep going but without previous means.

the rise of 'free' labor in the occupied south is as diverse a story as the people helping create it...

Posted: Fri Jun 8th, 2012 06:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
Mark

Mana: 

I find everything related to the United States Colored Troops most fascinating.

Mark

Posted: Sat Jun 9th, 2012 10:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
Vernon Dutton

Mana: 

My favorite would be a Battle-Antietam. I always wondered if Lee finally decided it was all over before A.P. Hill showed up.

Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2012 02:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Last edited on Mon Jun 11th, 2012 02:38 pm by Johan Steele

Posted: Sun Aug 26th, 2012 12:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
sgtredleg
Life NRA, CW Trust, VFW member

Mana: 

Tuff Question!
There are so many interesting facets to the war.
Since I have referred to it repeatedly over the years, I guess I would say the Southern Corps Commanders perspective of the war: strategies, troop movement and placements, Independent commands, etc.

Posted: Sun Aug 26th, 2012 02:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
Wrap10

Mana: 

I'm probably closer to Hellcat and Ole, in that I'm not sure I can pin down any one thing. It's a bit like asking me why I became interested in the war to begin with. I know the "when" and "where," but the "why" is more elusive for some reason. Same thing here. I've been drawn to different aspects of the war at different times, and there doesn't seem to be any set pattern.

One thing that might come the closest though, and maybe tie everything together, is the incredible uncertainty about it all. Things only happened in one way, but the different possibilities beforehand can sometimes take your breath away. As can realizing just how unlikely the *actual* outcome was, in many cases. Or at least, how unlikely it seemed to be ahead of time.

A lot like real life. ;)

Perry

You have chosen to ignore Savez. click Here to view this post

Current time is 11:48 amPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
Civil War Interactive Discussion Board > Civil War Talk > General Civil War Talk > Put You on the Spot: What's Your Favorite "Part" of the Civil War?

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3912 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 28 queries executed.