Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

The Klan at Antietam - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jun 23rd, 2006 05:17 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
MAubrecht

Mana: 

I don't want to instigate further discussion on this particular topic (I think we've all made our points), but I did want to post one of the many statements that have been popping up in the press. Someone had asked where the responses and criticisms from the SCV were. Here is an example of just one of a handful that I have discovered. My point is that there are people voicing their displeasure and deserve a little credit in doing so.

To The Editor:

Recently the news media carried reports of a demonstration by a tiny group of white supremacists at the Antietam battlefield, a battle known in the South as Sharpsburg. This was the site of America's single bloodiest day in 1862. Those demonstrators were quoted in the press as seeking to claim some of the glory gained on that day by our Confederate ancestors. The ground of Antietam/Sharpsburg is particularly hallowed for the members of Capt. Walter M. Bryson-George Mills Camp 70, Sons of Confederate Veterans, because it was there that our captain lost his life, and from there that his faithful servant bore his remains home to Hendersonville. Both are now our namesakes. While committed to First Amendment guarantees of free speech for all, we most resolutely condemn this misuse of an American historical site, as well as Confederate and Southern history, by a racist group. We honor those who rallied under the Southern banners 140 years ago. The men who demonstrated at Sharpsburg this past weekend disrespect those men's sacrifice for their homes and their independence. It is to their credit that Confederate re-enactors, including Sons of Confederate Veterans, were among the counter-demonstrators opposed to this disrespectful demonstration.

Michael Arrowood, Hendersonville
Michael Arrowood is public affairs officer of Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 70.

Last edited on Fri Jun 23rd, 2006 05:19 pm by MAubrecht

Current time is 02:06 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2861 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.