Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

1862 and 2012 - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 9th, 2012 11:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Barlow

Mana: 

As we approach the 150th Anniversary of the battles fought in 1862, I hope that the campaigns in the western theatre get equal treatment with Malvern, Sharpsburg and the eastern campaigns.  Shilo is approaching fast in April and I hope many will be visiting Savannah Tennessee and Corinth Mississippi this year. 

I hope some new books come out on Sydney Johnston, both Generals Wallace, Halleck's dislike of Grant, Sherman's dislike of Halleck, Bragg, and Beauregard.  Remarkably interesting stuff.  As Grant said:

The Battle of Shiloh has been more persistantly misunderstood, than any other engagement between National and Confederate troops during the entire rebellion.

Too bad Professor Otis Edward Cunningham died in 1997.  His PhD dissertation and eventual book on Shiloh is the best book on the battle.  He would have loved to be there on April 6th.

Posted: Fri Feb 10th, 2012 12:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I'll be participating in the Shiloh reenactment....So far, it appears as though there are about 2,800 reenactors registered.....I am surprised that it is not twice that number.

Posted: Fri Feb 10th, 2012 07:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

With the way things go I have to fear that aside from Shiloh and Vicksburg next year the Western theater won't get much national attention for the 150th. Actually I think it'll mostly be folks interested in the war at all that'll even notice any of the 150th Anniversary. I'm trying to remember but to be honest the only 150th event that seemed to be noticed nationally last year was Fort Sumter. I don't recall any mention of 1st Bull Run (1st Manasas) in the news and after Fort Sumter I'd have thought there would have been a mention of that battle at least.

Posted: Fri Feb 10th, 2012 11:40 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

I wrote to the Governor of Indiana and asked if our state can have a specialty license plate for the 150th (since we have plates for every cause now), and his reply to me was somewhere between "nuts" and "hogwash".  Does any other state have a specialty license plate for the 150th?

Posted: Fri Feb 10th, 2012 10:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Don't know. But there are some that would rather the war were entirely ignored. Governor Mitchell may or may not be one of those. If he's not then his response to you may have been either because the state legislature would be unlikely to agree to the idea or he expects it to cause controversy and doesn't want to deal with that.

Posted: Sat Feb 11th, 2012 12:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

There was a Bull Run event last year, but it got scaled back somewhat because of the extreame heat.....

Posted: Sat Feb 11th, 2012 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I don't doubt that there was. But what I was saying is that I don't remember the national news even mentioning the 150th anniversary of the battle. They were all over the 150th anniversary of Fort Sumter, but come the anniversary of 1st Bull Run (1st Manassas) it seemed like they completely ignored it. Kinda like the only ones who'd be interested are reenactors and "everyone knows their crazy anyway." Nothing crazy about reenactors, most of them probably know a lot more about the war than most of the elementary and high school teachers. And there are plenty of us who aren't reenactors who are interested in the war.

Posted: Sat Feb 11th, 2012 04:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
jojotater

Mana: 

I'm really surprised that the 150 anniversary of the war is getting so little attention.

I think I will go over to Shiloh and see the happenings in April.

John

http://civilwarnovel.com

Posted: Sat Feb 11th, 2012 11:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Yes, that's true......I didn't see anything on the news about the 150th Bull Run eithere.

I also agree that so littel attention is being paid to the 150th in general. Do you remember the "Bicentenial Minute" that ran on CBS during the Bicentenial??....I'd like to see something like that done for the 150th's....

Posted: Sun Feb 12th, 2012 01:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I was just barely older than a year and a half at the time of the Bicentennial. Heck I wasn't even a year old when the celebrations began. So I don't remember that. But I do agree something like that would be nice.

Posted: Sun Feb 12th, 2012 02:32 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I was 11 when the Bicentenial occured....There was even a free monthly newspaper from ARBA (American Revolution Bicentenial Association) that I had sent to me....It told of events and where the Bicentenial Train would be (they had a train that traveled around....I don't recall what it did, other than it's purpose was promotional)....

Posted: Sun Feb 12th, 2012 02:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

As of today, the 150th Shiloh website shows 3,100 renactors registered....

Posted: Mon Feb 13th, 2012 12:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
HankC

Mana: 

Barlow wrote:
The Battle of Shiloh has been more persistantly misunderstood, than any other engagement between National and Confederate troops during the entire rebellion.

what is misunderstood?

Posted: Mon Feb 13th, 2012 02:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

I also do not understand what is: "Misunderstood" about the Battle of Shiloh.

It was discussed at some length on this board in a lengthy thread begun by ole in 2007 and carried on into 2008. Albert Sidney Johnston has also been recently brought up, so perhaps some might want to review the thread from years ago.

AS Johnston and the Battle of Shiloh - The Battle of Shiloh - Civil War Talk -

Posted: Thu Feb 16th, 2012 11:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Barlow

Mana: 

Since it was Grant's quote and he obviously was not around to post a thread last year, he must have been referring to his critics, who continuously believe he was caught by surprise...or about Lew Wallace's actions...etc

Posted: Thu Feb 16th, 2012 12:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Mark

Mana: 

What is the source of the quote Barlow? I couldn't find it in Grant's Memoirs. I was hoping to look at it in context. Thanks!

Mark

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 12:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Perhaps the 2012 presidentail campaign is drowning out much of the attention that might otherwise have been paid to the Civil War. I thought there would be much more media attention. So far the best I have seen is the series that The New York Times has been running which I hope they will publish as a collection in a book.

I had also thought more new books would be coming out. Maybe they are and I am just not aware of them.

What promises to be a spectacular movie about Lincoln has Daniel Day Lewis in the lead role and displaying a remarkable,uncanny resemblance to him. That is one of the most Civil War oriented events coming up. Oh yes, there is also the movie about "Lincoln, the Vampire Fighter". We acnnot ignore that.

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 04:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

There's already a thread on  that movie in the TV/Movie section.

Last edited on Fri Feb 17th, 2012 08:59 am by Hellcat

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2012 01:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
HankC

Mana: 

just my 2รณ:

in 1960-1965, war was much on the publics mind. World War 2 and the Korean war were recent events. their veterans were just hitting their 40s. shucks WWI vets were only 60! The cold war was in full swing and vietnam was heating up. Civil war battlefield tactics, strategies and personalities seemed apropos.

today, war is less prevalent. social concerns prevail. the civil war now teaches more about political and social strategy, tactics and effects than military. hence the new prevalence of civil war social history...

Posted: Thu Feb 23rd, 2012 04:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
cklarson

Mana: 

For those who have not availed themselves of this opportunity go to http://www.nymas.org - right sidebar for my complete chapter on the Tennessee River campaign from my definitive biography of Anna Ella Carroll, political/legal advisor to Lincoln and military secret agent.

Aside from having clan connections to Carroll, I am a cousin of ADM Andrew Hull Foote, Grant's co-commander. Via the New York Times "Disunion" blog, a must read (google: (Disunion + opinionator), I am getting more and more frustrated over the distortion of these facts:

1. Foote and his crews took Fort Henry alone. Grant arrived about 3 days later, detained by bad weather and roads.

2. Grant was not the sole genius of the Tennessee River campaign. There were many officials involved in its planning including Halleck, Foote, Bates, Eads, Lincoln, Stanton, Thomas A. Scott, Wade, Carroll and secret agent Lemuel D. Evans. To solely credit Grant is an unprofessional take on any combined operation, that's why they're called "combined" which by definition means more than one person is involved. Having reread some initial sources, it's clearer to me that McClellan and Buell stalled progress in TN, as Halleck should have been given overall command earlier. Up until January 25, Buell's plan was in place, because Buell was McClellan's protege. But Halleck had been planning the TN River campaign all along quietly, same as Lincoln secretly, based on Carroll's plan.  But that's another story for after I do more research on decision-making during March and early April.

Thanks for your interest,

C. Kay Larson, author, Great Necessities: The Life, Times, and Writings of Anna Ella Carroll, 1815-1894

Current time is 03:25 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2055 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.