Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Taking it too far... - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Oct 3rd, 2006 10:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Folks, this is ridiculous. Anyone reading other posts on this board knows how I feel about the use of the Confederate flag for innapropriate purposes. But this... well, read for yourself....

Franklin Mayor Tom Miller says he does not want Confederate flags to be flown during a commemoration of the upcoming 1864 Battle of Franklin anniversary.

Calling the flag an "anathema" to some, Miller said his decision would likely be criticized by others.

You want to commemorate a battle which is most famous for being the final death-knell of the Confederacy, in a totally historic setting and ceremony, and you're going to ban the flag carried by half the forces involved?? I've always hated the term "politically correct", but if you need a definition, this is it.... 

Posted: Tue Oct 3rd, 2006 10:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Well I will  be there .. And If I so choose to carry My colors..  I will do so and be in my uniform as well.  Dont agree with the gun thing  but  will see.

looks like Mayor Tom will be turning  the anv. into a circus side show.

Last edited on Tue Oct 3rd, 2006 10:44 pm by Steven Cone

Posted: Wed Oct 4th, 2006 02:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
connyankee

Mana: 

I'm not even sure what a anathema is.  Is it a curse?  I thought we were supposed to be educating people.  This is a dumb way to do it, isn't it?  Shame on them.  :?

Posted: Wed Oct 4th, 2006 05:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Joe,

When I read that the city was only gonna spend 5 grand for the anniversary, it just made me realize they still don't get it in that town.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve

Posted: Wed Oct 4th, 2006 11:50 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

We just posted a longer, more detailed article on this. Check out this link. Just shows, as Basecat said, that they just don't get it. Normally I'm a big fan of Mayor Miller; he's done more for Civil War preservation in that town in a few years than all the other mayors of Franklin in the last century. But he's just flat wrong about several things concerning this.

Posted: Wed Oct 4th, 2006 03:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
David White

Mana: 

Does the good he's done outweigh this bad?  I agree it is stupid and he probably is going to get what he doesn't want by making a point to exclude it but it's not a reenactment, it's a ceremony he is asking that it be excluded from. 

If it's the city's ceremony, I guess they have a right to do what they want.  Someone should hold a counter-ceremony at the same time and say all views and paraphernalia welcome, after all this is America.

Posted: Wed Oct 4th, 2006 05:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

What I fear is what it will do to thoses who chose to send  funding in for preservation..

God knows what kind of backlash this will cause

Posted: Wed Oct 4th, 2006 08:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

I completely agree with javal, if you are going to do a historically accurate reenactment, then you have to include the battle flag carried by the Confederate soldiers.  That's reguardless if what your opinion is about the rebel flag itself.

Posted: Thu Oct 5th, 2006 04:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Joe,

Unreal, but why does this not surprise me??  Like it or not, a major battle of the Civil War took place in Franklin.  How those in power continue to avoid that fact boggles the mind here. If you are gonna commemorate a historical event, than do so without trying to be politically correct as they seem to be doing. 

If folks out there don't understand that there were 2 sides who fought there, than why bother to even have a ceremony acknowledging what took place there?? 

When I read about the changes out there, I was thrilled to think, finally, they are recognizing just what happened there.  Reading this article tonight makes me ill.

The Civil War came to Franklin on 11-30-1864.  It should be remembered and those who fought and died there should be remembered as well.  Why is that so hard for them to understand?

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Thu Oct 5th, 2006 12:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Here's a quote from the story we posted this morning (Thurs.):

But a city spokeswoman later claimed the mayor was misunderstood and that he only wanted to keep the flag from being displayed on a flagpole in the middle of the city square.

My take on this would be to allow the Mayor to execute a tactical retreat. He obviously sees that his initial stand alienated far too many and, like politicians will do, is now "re-stating" his position. He should be allowed to. As I said before, though I disagreed with him on this issue, he's the best preservationists will get in Franklin.

The flag shouldn't be flown on the center city memorial. As a matter of fact, the ceremony shouldn't even be held there. It should be held on the land that preservationists worked so long and hard to get - the eastern flank of the battle, which used to be a golf course and was bought as a Civil War park. Move it there and there should be no reason to have any restrictions on the Confederate flag. And as for the SCV being "offended", they bear a large responsibility for making the flag the tinderbox issue it is. Maybe they should just go fix-up some monuments and let others discuss this one rationally. Just my opinion of course...

Posted: Thu Oct 5th, 2006 12:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

This is all kinda crazy..   I dont see  why anyone would throw themselfs into the fire like..  Knowing what kind of reaction  he would get.

Specialy  after working so hard to preserve part of the battlefield.   

We know how the media can be sometimes.  Always looking for the Stiring story.   :shock: 

So perhaps the Mayor was misunderstood.

Next time they need to let me in on the planning :D 

Posted: Thu Oct 5th, 2006 03:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

He can do the Texas two-step as well as our politiicians, that man has a big future in politics ;)

Posted: Thu Oct 5th, 2006 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

There are a couple more articles on this we'll be running tomorrow (Fri.), plus I was just interviewed by the Nashville Tennessean regarding it which will run in Sunday's edition. But I can tell you from numerous sources that this has caused a HUGE uproar among the Aldermen of the city, who are getting swamped with mail and calls. While I'm more moderate on the subject than many, I have to say it's good to see the Civil War community taking action after a period of what I see as far too much apathy. Stay tuned....

Posted: Sun Oct 8th, 2006 12:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Here's Sunday's story from the Nashville Tennessean...

Response to flag flap floods City Hall

Posted: Wed Oct 18th, 2006 09:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
GenHood

Mana: 

This link, which I received just a few days ago, really helps clear up this particular issue. 

http://www.wsmv.com/video/10003195/detail.html

Current time is 07:21 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1973 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 24 queries executed.