Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

What's your favorite Civil War songs? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Oct 27th, 2006 03:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

What are some of the greatest songs? Period music and new ones too.  Here's some of mine...

1. McLeod's Reel, Fisher's/Rickett's Hornpipes by 2nd South Carolina String Band

Just makes you want to get up and dance a jig

2. Reveille, Assembly & Drum Solo by 119th NYSV Field Music

This gets your heart pumpin'

3. The Vacant Chair by The New Lost City Ramblers

Puts a tear in your eye.

4. Going Home by Mary Fahl from "Gods and Generals"

Another tear jerker

5. Garryowen by Cumberland Blues

Where's my corncob pipe?

6. Kingdom Coming by Kleinwald

This is a great rendition

7. "Glory"soundtrack

'nuf said

8. Ashokan Farewell By Misty River

Best live rendition

9. Goober Peas by The Union Confederacy

10. Marching Through Georgia by the 119th NYSV Field Music

Now this is what I call music!  If there are any other greats please add them on.

Posted: Sat Oct 28th, 2006 09:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Sarah Elizabeth

Mana: 

Very good selections!  I agree completely with you on The Vacant Chair, Glory, Garryowen, Mary Fahl and Ashoken Farewell.

My favorites have always been instrumentals...I like background music while working or reading.  For the best insrumentals, I'm going to list my favorite cd's, not individual pieces:

1.  All three of Randall Messina's works...The Civil War:   Heritage & Honor,  Reminiscence, and Violins of Valor

2.  After Class...Johnny Has Gone and also Hues of Blues & Greys

3.  Joyful Harps 1865...The War Between the States

4.  Gettysburg...The Boys in Blue & Gray

5.  Anything by The Camp Chase Fifes & Drums

6.  Not entirely instrumental, but one of my favorites...Jay Ungar & Molly Mason Live at Gettysburg College; Civil War Classics

Off the point of "favorites,"  One of my memories from childhood is a true story told many times by a VERY elderly friend of my grandfather's...long since deceased.  It seems that this man, in his youth, was a member of a "minstrel group" which toured the U.S. around the turn of the 20th century.  His band was made up entirely of residents of the northeast United States.  Apparently, one engagement was played in the suburban Atlanta, GA area.  This man was not much of a history buff, and as such, really did not know about the Civil War.  Anyway, one night in Georgia, one of the audience members asked for the tune "Marching Through Georgia."  The poor band members did not realize the contempt felt for it in that region and cheerfully broke out in song.  I can still see the look on the face of my grandfather's friend (and I still recall the shriek in his voice) when he told us..."By God! I thought I'd never see my home in Pennsylvania again!  We almost started the War all over again!!"

I imagine the individual who requested the song felt is was quite funny.  Our poor friend and his band did not!

Sorry I got off the FAVORITES topic, I just think it's quite a story and it does involve Civil War music.

Sarah Elizabeth 

Last edited on Sat Oct 28th, 2006 09:25 pm by Sarah Elizabeth

Posted: Mon Oct 30th, 2006 01:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

That is quite the story!  I love hearing personal accounts like yours.  I will have to check into the music you listed.

Posted: Mon Oct 30th, 2006 02:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Favorite CDs of mine include :

"Johnny Whitstletrigger" &  "Rebel in the Woods" by Barton & Para

All of the 97th Regiment String Band (who do a wonderful live performance)

33rd Illionis (all period instruments)

And not exactly CW but I love Barton & Para's "Living on the River"

Regards from NW Ohio,

Jana

Last edited on Mon Oct 30th, 2006 02:39 pm by Marie

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2006 10:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Marie: Couldn't agree more about Barton & Para.Saw them live at a muster I attended and they were great. Bought the two CD's you mention on the spot. Probably have to buy a new "Johnny Whistletrigger" soon since I've played it to death.

Another one I just discovered, and who is now our newest advertiser and sponsor, is Bob McKee. Before we would accept him as an advertiser, I made them send me a review copy. Very nice southern-themed music which I've been listening to quite often. Check it out at http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/mckee.htm . (Free shipping till Christmas ;) )

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2006 01:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Javal,

Looks good.  I now have at least one answer to Dad's inevitable "What do you want for Christmas?"   

Regards,

Jana

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2006 02:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

I've never had the pleasure of seeing the 97th Regimental String Band in person, but have all of their CDs and absolutely love their renditions. I don't know if these are "greatest" songs, but a couple of my favorites are "Battle Cry of Freedom" and "Just Before the Battle, Mother."

Of course, I also love the soundtracks from both Gettysburg and Gods and Generals. That's probably a real surprise, right? ;)

KJ

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2006 04:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
David White

Mana: 

What seven posts and no mention of Bobby Horton, sacrelige!!!

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2006 04:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
kj3553
Born in the wrong century

Mana: 

*hanging head in shame* Sorry...completely forgot about him. :?

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2006 04:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Marie

Mana: 

David,

Of course Bobby Horton  :)

My favorite there is "Poor Kitty Popcorn"

Meow meow meow  :)

Regards,

Jana

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2006 05:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
David White

Mana: 

Marie:

Such a happy little song about a cat that dies, but that's what she gets for hanging out with Yankees ;)

My kids love that song whenever it comes on and snicker whenever John Harrolson comes on.

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2006 05:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Marie

Mana: 

LOL.

Ah, yes, who could forget John Harrolson  :)

Posted: Tue Oct 31st, 2006 05:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Marie

Mana: 

Never will i forget the look on the face of Missouri's last unreconstructed Reb when this Yankee girl from Ohio sang  "I'm a  Good Old Rebel" and his surprise at the fact that I actually know all the words  :)

Last edited on Tue Oct 31st, 2006 05:43 pm by Marie

Posted: Thu Nov 2nd, 2006 11:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
James Longstreet

Mana: 

"Johnny Reb" is pretty much my favorite Civil War song.  Earnest Tubb's version of "Dixie" is another good one, and so is "The Night they Drove 'Ol Dixie Down."  Johnny Cash did a version of that song, and so did the Marshal Tucker Band I believe.

Posted: Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 02:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

You are absolutely right!  His version of Shenandoah is the best.  I just didn't want to bore everyone with a mile long list of favs.

Posted: Fri Nov 3rd, 2006 02:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Fuller wrote: You are absolutely right!  His version of Shenandoah is the best.  I just didn't want to bore everyone with a mile long list of favs.
(This was to David White's comment about Bobby Horton)

Posted: Sat Nov 4th, 2006 02:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Hey, I thought of another great cd of some good old folk music.  "Not For Kids Only" by David Grisman and Jerry Garcia.  The song "A Horse Named Bill" is a hilarous song to the tune of Dixie.  "Arkansas Traveler" is worth listening to.  I checked this cd out from the library 10 years ago and now it plays often on my computer.  Definately look into this one!

Posted: Sun Nov 5th, 2006 06:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Basecat

Mana: 

Evening all.

Am partial to the music of David Kincaid, and his cds on the music of the Irish Soldiers in the Civil War.  Dave has become a fixture at the Reliance Mine Saloon in Gettysburg during Remembrance Day weekend in November, and performs there on the Saturday night of the weekend. 

Am sure he already knows my request, which I make annually..."Paddy's Lamentation". :)  Excellent cds, and highly recommend them.  Will add that the liner notes are written by fellow NJan and esteemed CW Historian Joe Bilby.

Hope all are well.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 07:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Hi, Fuller, you raised a good question.  It amuses me that the 2nd South Carolina String Bean is based in Gettysburg.

I love the 97th Regimental String Band.  In Feb 2006 I called their phone number in Florida to ask if they were giving any performances in my area, Northern Virginia.  A man answered by saying "Happy Birthday, Anheuser Busch."

OMG, I got a wrong number with a nutty recorded message.  Then he said it again and laughed.  Whew, he was live and real.  He said it was an important date in American history, but all I could answer was that I'd never thought of it like that before.  He was Rick Moock, the bassist.  No public performances, but he gave me the number of a person to call about a private performance in Gettysburg in June 2006.

I ended up going to the Gettysburg muster, and saw the band in person.  I asked them to autograph a piece of paper to tape inside one of the CD cases.  None of us had any paper, but we found a large bookmark.  They scribbled their names on the back, and now I proudly have an autographed CD.  That was where I met some of the people in this site: Basecat, Marie, Jimtno, and JD Petruzzi (danced with JD, if he remembers).

Of their 7 CDs, my favorites are:

"Goober Peas" and "Marching through Georgia" on vol. 1

"The Mermaid" on vol. 3.

"All Quiet along the Potomac Tonight" and "Good Ol' Rebel Soldier" on vol. 4.

Some of you may recognize that a fragment of "The Mermaid" was in "Andersonville," in the scene where the Raiders are whooping it up after their successful attack on the fresh fish from Massachusetts.

I love the mandolin work of the 97th Regimental.  Lovely singing tone, the mandolin.

I have only vol. 1 of the Camp Chase Fife & Drums.  Have they released any more?

Of movie soundtracks, I have "Gettysbeard," as the actors called it.  The music expresses perfectly the action and moods.

And Basecat, I have David Kincaid singing "Paddy's Lamentation" on a DVD in the "Civil War Minutes" series.  But I don't speak Irish and can't understand a word.  It must be a good tune, because the 97th Regimental sings it on vol. 7.

Patty

Posted: Wed Nov 8th, 2006 05:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

My favorite CW Song has to be the Battle Cry of Freedom....both versions.

Of course that my have something to do with a comical scene with an Uncle of mine (From Northern PA) who was fond of singing parts of the yankee version.  When he was down visiting my father, and I was up doing the same my son and I started in on a few "seldom known" verses...leaving out the chrous until the end.

It began "Our flag is proudly floating
                o'er the land and o'er the main,
                Shout! Shout! the Battle Cry of Freedom!
                Beneith it oft we've conquered
                And we'll conquer oft agian!
                Shout! Shout! the Battle Cry of Freedom!" 

and so forth.

The look on his face when Andrew and I Broke into the course of "OUR DIXIE FOREVER!  She's never at a loss!" reminded me of that Master Card commercial....priceless. :D

Current time is 02:57 pmPage:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4392 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.