Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Strange events at reenactments? - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Oct 30th, 2006 01:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

To all those who have reenacted or even just visited a civil war historical sight, have you ever had a strange experience with soldiers (on the other side)?  I used to reenact as a kid and I've heard stories over the years.  I remember a docent from Ft. Laramie telling me that one day he went to lock up the officer's quarters and a man in full uniform said he was in a meeting and then the door slammed in his face.  The stories I've heard makes me feel that "they" are honored that reenactors take the time and effort to remember them.  I am interested if any of you have any experiences.

Posted: Mon Oct 30th, 2006 03:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

I'm a bit past the point where I can be pleasurably attracted to sleeping on the ground, eating a gruel based on salt-pork and shivering under a single blanket. (Love my elecric blanket!) But I do spectate where I can watch the youngers relish the privations. It's so good to see that some are so dedicated to live, show, and devote themselves to the preservation and promotion of where we were, and why we've been the inheritors of their privations. It's a small thing. But it's an important thing. It brings just a hint of a taste of what every doggone one of them sacrificed in order to forge our country.

Ole

Posted: Mon Oct 30th, 2006 03:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

OK. I responded to something and ended up on the wrong thread. Excuuuuuuuse me. I'll figure it out. Eventually.

Ole

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 07:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Fuller, these aren't "strange" events, but just amusing.

An artillery reenactor from Pittsburgh told me the reason he participates is, "Well, I can't explain it, it's just....mystical."  I could understand that.

Another reenactor told me that the reason guys do reenacting is that they get to camp out, drink, and blow stuff up.  I could understand that too.

I'm sure you've seen uniformed reenactors with all accoutrements including cell phone.

At the reenactment of the Battle of 1st Manassas this summer at Cedar Creek in the Shenandoah Valley, a woman in an elegant riding habit was demonstrating the lost art of riding aside (sidesaddle).  A Union cavalryman rode beside her, keeping his horse exactly aligned with hers.  They were engaged and the wedding was to be that very evening, "over there in the Federal cavalry camp," he said.  What a great way to spend your wedding day, doing what you love best.

Later that day, a woman and her young teenage daughter were walking toward me.  Both were wearing period clothing, hoop skirts and all.  Of course, to keep from tripping, they raised the front hem a little.  I could see the girl's feet, she was wearing flipflops.

Patty

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 08:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Widow,

Having the ghost of an officer in your face amusing?  The poor docent had to change his pants.  Yes, as re-enactors we've all had the good laugh of seeing a hoop skirt wrapped around some lady's head but I'm more interested in stories about soldiers who have long since passed on who still regularly visit...  Good ol' fashined ghost stories!

Fuller

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 09:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Fuller, sorry, I didn't say it right.  I meant only that the little incidents in my post were amusing rather than spooky.

Patty

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 09:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
calcav

Mana: 

Fuller,

I'd love to tell you a good Shiloh ghost story...but I don't know any. I lived on the park for seven years. My first job there was tending the National cemetery and the Confederate burial trenches. The first house I was in was located between two of the trenches and just a few hundred yards behind the Shiloh Church cemetery. Later we moved to a house next to the National cemetery. I've been on the park at night many times, frequently alone, and never saw anything ghostly. Unless you count the drunk who crashed his Lincoln into the Michigan Monument. Totaled the car, scratched the monument.

Tom

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 09:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Widow, hey I'm sorry to you!  I'm blonde.  Yeah, I'll blame it on that.  I'm just waiting for people to fess up about their "supernatural" experiences.

Dag nabbit, Tom.  All those factors...and nothin?!

Posted: Tue Nov 7th, 2006 10:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Fuller,

This reply is to your original post on strange events.  It didn't happen to me, but I heard about it from a man who got it from a good friend, the man it happened to.

A beautiful historic Virginia mansion, way out in the country.  During the winter of 1863-64, it was the headquarters of Union Gen. John Sedgwick (did he still have the 6th Corps?)

The owners visit the house only a few times a year.  Their housesitter, a high school teacher, has lived in a basement apartment for years, and knows every inch of the house and grounds.

One night, reading in bed, he heard footsteps on the wood floor above him.  He went upstairs to check, but there was nobody.  He was armed with a flashlight and pistol, and hollered loud to anybody who might be there.  The doors and windows were all locked.  This happened three times, each with louder footsteps and stomping of boots above his head, and each time, he found nothing.

The third time, the sound was of something heavy being dragged across the floor.  Like a body being dragged by someone?

He left and checked into a motel.

Patty

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Dec 23rd, 2006 02:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Duncan,

It only took two long months but I knew someone would make a good response sooner or later!  Thank you for the cool photo.

Merry Christmas,

Fuller

Posted: Sun Dec 31st, 2006 06:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
EmiTheShogun

Mana: 

This is a very interesting topic.  I did a Radio Show about the Paranormal a year ago and this very subject came up.  Many re-enactors phoned in with their stories of ghostly encounters.  One particular man called in and said that, while he was sleeping near a tree, he suddenly woke up in the middle of the night and saw another man sleeping next to him...except that this other man was transparent and could only be seen from the head to the waist.  I honestly don't remember which battlefield he was on and wouldn't want to guess.  But, yes, I have heard many stories of this kind of thing happening.  In fact, I have a friend of mine who wrote a book on this. 

-Emi
Long Live The Shogunate!

Posted: Tue May 1st, 2007 08:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
39th Miss. Walker

Mana: 

While staying overnight at Ft. Sumter on the anniversary of the Confederates taking the fort around 3 am one of our group awoke hearing footsteps on the bricks where the enlisted men's barracks had been. Lights from Battery Huger were on so it was easy to see any walking around. But no one was. Happened once again that night. No one saw anything just the footsteps on the bricks. Hmmm?

Current time is 12:53 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3999 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 26 queries executed.