Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Need a little help - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Nov 26th, 2006 07:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, just like the title and the description of this thread says, I need a little help finding some information. When I was growing up, my father's job meant we moved several times. No, it wasn't because he was in the military, he'd already been out of the navy before I was old enough to talk. Rather, he worked in maintenace, mostly as a plant engineer, and whenever he got a new job we'd end up moving. This meant at one point we lived in NC for a few years, and it's thanks to our time there that I'm asking for help.

When I was in fouth grade they were getting rid of some of the old textbooks, giving them to the students who might want them. One of thopse deals where they'd get newer textbooks and need to get rid of the old ones. Anyway among other old textbooks I managed to get was our social studies book which was on the state and it's people. Don't know if anyone else on here either managed to get an old copy of it, or even saw the same book. It's The people of North Carolina,  published by William Sadlier, Inc. in '72 and was already over ten years since it was published when I got it.

One of the things I've always liked about the book is that some of the pages were devoted to some odds and ends that fit in with the particular topic, but might be a little out of context with the rest of the lesson. Two such items are discussing a couple of ships that served during the war, "The Virginia Dare" and "The Southern Star." And these are what I'm looking for help with.

"The Virginia Dare was supposed to have been built by a company in Delaware for the Albemarle Steam Packet Company, but was not completed when the war broke out. So the federal government purchased her and turned her into the steamship Delaware. The Delaware was supposed to have transported troops up the Chowan River to Winton, NC where they proceeded to burn the town. Now I've managed to get some stuff of Haze Gray and Underway along with the Navy Histoical center, but of which are just the DANFS (Dictionary of American Fighting Ships) material on the Delaware. And that's pretty sparse. Seems to confirm that this is the same Delaware the book says was originally "The Virginia Dare". Built in Delaware in 1861, was in NC waters early in 1862, and traveled up the Chowan on the 19th-21st. But there's not terribly much there and nothing really to confirm that her intended buyer when she was being built was the Albemarle Steam Packet Company, or that she was indeed "The Virginia Dare." Though what there is does pretty much have me certain I've found her.

On "The Southern Star" my luck is a little less present. The book says she was built in 1857 at Murfreesboro and intended to operate between NY and NC. However, her builders went bankrupt and she ended up in federal hands. During the war she'd be made into a gunboat and end up as part of the blockading fleet. The only other thing the book really says about "The Southern Star" is that she sank when she was launched in 1857. Nothing about a name change or anthing else that might point me in the right direction.

If anyone has any information, I'd like to hear it. I'd also like it if anyone can point me to some helpful websites. I've got a few I want to check, but I'm asking here incase I miss something or someone knows anything I obviously don't.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Sun Nov 26th, 2006 01:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Sarah Elizabeth

Mana: 

Hellcat,

Check out this site:

http://www.sallysfamilyplace.com/Jackson.htm

There is a brief history of the Southern Star there.  You may find some information which will help you in your search.

Regards,

Sarah

p.s.  I often spend time searching websites for 19th century information.  Many times I run across interesting info...if I find anything else, I'll let you know.

Posted: Sun Nov 26th, 2006 09:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Thanks Sarah, that's definately very helpful in several ways. For one, it tells me she wasn't originally named Southern Star, but rather Chowan, something not mentioned in the book. For another it lists all the names she had, Crusader probably being the best for me to check DANFS to see if there's any info there since that appears to be the name she had during the war. And it does confirm that she sank and had to be raised with the mention of foundering.

Again, thanks for your help.

Posted: Sun Nov 26th, 2006 09:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Sarah Elizabeth

Mana: 

I'm so glad you found the website to be useful!

The history of the Southern Star is very interesting.  I had no idea that ships were renamed so often.  No wonder it's at times difficult to find accurate information.

Again, I'm glad I could help!

Regards,

Sarah

Current time is 05:42 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1408 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 25 queries executed.