Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Took a walk in Fredericksburg today - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Scamp1. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Dec 14th, 2006 02:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
HankC

Mana: 

Scamp,

I second your opinion...

Many moons ago I'd stop in Fredericksburg for dinner and a stroll on the heights. I found it as expedient to linger in town for an hour or so as to continue north into the Washington rush hour on the drive from North Carolina to my parent's.

This time of year, as twilight fades through the trees and the lights appear down in the town center, the setting is as special as it is timeless.

HankC

Posted: Thu Dec 14th, 2006 02:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
David White

Mana: 

I was thinking about it here in Texas, wish I could have stood there with you yesterday.

Posted: Sat Dec 23rd, 2006 11:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Regina

Mana: 

Scamp, I wish I could have been in Fredericksburg on the anniversary, but I live too far, and as a teacher, really only have the luxury of travel in the summer.  I came across something you may like, though:    The following letter was written by Tally Simpson, 3rd South Carolina Infantry.  Tally would not see another Christmas "roll around"--He was killed at Chickamauga the following year.

Camp near Fred'burg

Dec 25th 1862

My dear Sister

This is Christmas Day.  The sun shines feebly through a thin cloud, the air is mild and pleasant, [and] a gently breeze is making music through the leaves of the lofty pines that stand near our bivouac.  All is quiet and still, and that very stillness recalls some sad and painful thoughts.  This day, one year ago, how many thousand families, gay and joyous, celebrating Merry Christmas, drinking health to absent members of their family, and sending upon the wings of love and affection long, deep, and sincere wishes for their safe return to the loving ones at home, but today are clad in the deepest mourning in memory to some lost and loved member of their circle.  If all the dead (those killed since the war began) could be heaped in one pile and all the wounded be gathered together in one group, the pale faces of the dead and the groans of the wounded would send such a thrill of horror through the hearts of the originators of this war that their very souls would rack with such pain that they would prefer being dead and in torment than to stand before God with such terrible crimes blackening their characters.  Add to this the cries and wailings of the mourners - mothers and fathers weeping for their sons, sisters for their brothers, wives for their husbands, and daughters for their fathers - [and] how deep would be the convictions of their consciences.  Yet they do not seem to think of the affliction and distress they are scattering broadcast over the land.  When will this war end?  Will another Christmas roll around and find up all wintering in camp?  Oh!  That peace may soon be restored to our young but dearly beloved country and that we may all meet again in happiness.

Current time is 03:13 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1503 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 26 queries executed.