Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

North And South - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2007 06:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Ann (factasy.com)

Mana: 

Can you tell me what were the North And South Beliefs in the war?  Can you tell me where the  war took place?

Regards Ann

Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2007 07:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Start w/ McPersons Battle Cry of Freedom; good all around start.  Then move on to Wiley's superb works The Life of Billy Yank and the Life of Johnny Reb they don't get too much better than that.

Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2007 08:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Miss Ann:

I'll go along with Johan Steele's recommendations, but I'll wager that if you pick a long thread and read it through from the beginning, you'll get as good a handle on northern and southern feeling as you will from any book.

Ole

Last edited on Wed Jan 17th, 2007 08:52 pm by ole

Posted: Wed Jan 17th, 2007 11:10 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan. Bell Wiley is my most favorite!!! I love Johnny Reb and Bill Yank.  They are the best  right down to the foot soldier and what he thought and what he did.  They are the best..

Last edited on Wed Jan 17th, 2007 11:11 pm by susansweet

Posted: Thu Jan 18th, 2007 02:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

If you like Wiley... you have to read these.  Billings, Hard Tack and Coffee

Rhodes, All for the Union.

Watkins, “Co Aytch” A Side Show of the Big Show

Posted: Thu Jan 18th, 2007 03:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

But of course, Johan I have them on the shelf.  I use Hard Tack and Coffee all the time as a reference. 

Posted: Thu Jan 18th, 2007 12:05 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Hardtack & Coffee may well be my favorite.

Posted: Fri Jan 19th, 2007 01:04 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Ann, since you live in Sweden, I'll give you a quick view of where the Civil War was fought, and why.

Look at a US map.  Find Washington, DC, which is on the Potomac River.  Draw an imaginary line running east to west from the Potomac to the Ohio River, which flows west into the Mississippi River.  All the states south of that imaginary line seceded and fought for the Confederacy, except one, Kentucky, which stayed loyal to the Union.  Those states are Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana.  Then, west of the Mississippi River, Arkansas and Texas also seceded.

There were battles in every southern state and two huge battles in two northern states:  Battles of Antietam in Maryland and Gettysburg in Pennsylvania.

There is a long range of mountains which runs northeast to southwest, generally parallel to the Atlantic coast.  That range was a physical barrier and was considered the dividing line between the "eastern theater" and the "western theater."

The capital of the Confederate States of America was in Richmond, Virginia, only 100 miles (166 km) south of Washington.  With the two capitals so close together, it's easy to understand why so many battles were fought in Virginia during the four years.

In the western theater, Tennessee had many battles too.

Soldiers came from all states to fight in the war.  Also there were many immigrants who fought, mostly from Ireland and Germany.  Some served in the Union armies, others in the Confederate forces.

The southern states didn't like the power of the Federal government in Washington.  They thought they could do better by seceding and forming their own nation.  After the states seceded, the shooting war started in Charleston, South Carolina, on April 12, 1861, when some South Carolina soldiers shot at a Federal fort on an island in Charleston harbor.  Immediately the US President, Abraham Lincoln, called for volunteers from the loyal northern states to put down the rebellion and bring the seceded states back into the Union.

After four years of terrible fighting and suffering, the war stopped in April 1865.  One by one, the southern generals surrendered to their northern conquerors.

Patty

Last edited on Fri Jan 19th, 2007 04:10 pm by Widow

Current time is 05:24 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3781 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 25 queries executed.