Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

copyrigth - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2007 04:41 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Ann (factasy.com)

Mana: 

Hello I must ask you people that live in usa.

I that live in sweden have heard that the copyrigth on allmoste everything about the American civil war is gone. Is that true.

And i will ask about acw photo were can i get photo that not is copyright is it anyone in here that have private  photo and want to share them to me.

ANN

Posted: Thu Mar 15th, 2007 09:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Complex law, Ann. Perhaps there is a lawyer among us who can be specific, but basically, anything published or copywrited that long ago is now in the public domain and can be used. I will, of course, be wrong, but my understanding is that 28 years is about the maximum in most circumstances.

Ole

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 02:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
David White

Mana: 

As Ole said it is very complex but since I make my living at intellecutal property law (but not a lawyer) I'll give you the general low down but you should consult a US IP attorney for specific works.  Currently the law protects works through the life of the author plus 70 years (95 years from creation if owned by a publisher or corporate entity, think Century magazine and Battles and Leaders).  The Copyright Extension Law (Sonny Bono Law) also affected works published prior to January 1, 1978 by giving them an additional protection of 20 years before they are in the public domain.  

With those general rules, it is safe to say that any Civil War materials published/created before 1892 and whose author died before that year, are now in the public domain.  So not all materials written by the war participants are in the public domain yet.  But who is going to enforce the law for them especially against someone in Sweden (but I am not encouraging the breaking of US or any country's copyright law)?  Clear as mud?

Posted: Fri Mar 16th, 2007 05:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

hello,

I tryed to enter a photo contest for the CWPT, They have a section called before and after. So I decided to take a pic on a placque, of the Dunker Church, it was a photo of the church in 1860,when I went to Walmart to print the pic. they told me thsy couldn't print the pic. because on the bottom it said NY TIMES,(I THIMK THAT WAS THE NAME) So I called the NY TIMES(???) to see about the copyrite on that photo. The lady said to me that I was not allowed to submit the photo without writin concent from the news paper, even though the photo was 145 years old. I think its crazy, but who knows

OLD SORREL:cool:

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Apr 5th, 2007 03:02 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Old Sorrel

Mana: 

thanks indy19th,

Ill look into it,, I would hope they would allow copys of photes for contests. Non-profit of course.

Current time is 02:23 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1666 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 27 queries executed.