Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Philosophical differences - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 12:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Widow

Mana: 

In other threads, we've talked a lot recently about some of the reasons the South wanted to secede.  I've learned so much.

Now I'd like to offer my world-famous theory which I just thought up, and see what your opinions are.  Mind you, this theory is such a generalization that it can be argued forever.  And of course there were many exceptions on both sides.

The North asked, "What can we change to make things better?"

The South asked, "What must we preserve to keep things the same?"

Patty

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 12:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I love that theory. It is elegantly simple. (Might even sum up the way things are today.) Dang! I wish I could think up theories such as that on the fly.

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 01:46 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Good thread for discussion.  I want to add a bit and add on to JDC's comment.    There was not just one opinion in the North.  You had the abolitionist who would think, What can we do to make things better.  I think the average foot soldier was thinking what can I do to keep it together , the Nation I mean. 

The South was we must perserve what we have , our way of life. 

JDC I think all sides wanted others to Think like them hence the conflict. 

Does this make sense to anyone ? 

Susan

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 02:21 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

JDC I do like the way you restated Patty's statement.  I can agree with Many Yankees  want to change things and Many Southerns are resistant to change.  I have problems with ALL in grouping people.   Not all of either side fit in the discription for their side. 

I had problems when I was teaching when adminstration wanted me to teach exactly like the others.  I had trouble and NEVER taught the same way each year.  I know of some that did .  People just are not all alike .   

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 12:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Widow

Mana: 

Thanks, your replies are exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping for.

My generalizations of course couldn't apply to everybody on either side.  We know of many Southerners who opposed slavery but supported secession.  Others opposied secession and supported - or at least were neutral about - slavery.

Lots of Northerners were offended by the abolitionists.

The irony is that by secession, the South attempted the greatest change of all.

Patty

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

You have chosen to ignore indy19th. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Apr 6th, 2007 01:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Don't think you can easily pigeon hole the descriptions of northerners and southerners with one phrase. In terms of the north, yes there was an ardent abolishionist portion while others had little interest in that cause, thinking preservation of the union their ultimate goal. Then there are the immigrants who some probably didn't have any view only that this was an opportunity for income. In my opinion, Lincolns dealings with these myriad groups and their demands while striving to preserve the union is what makes him stand out as a great president.

While as the south, the upper classes may have been for states rights and the preservation of the status quo but many members of the lower classes probably gave little thought to those issues. Opinions/philsophies then as today were diverse.

Doc C

Current time is 12:50 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1714 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 33 queries executed.