Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

A good atlas of the Civil War - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun May 6th, 2007 03:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I am coming to you guys as you are the ones that would know.  I need a good battle atlas.  I have The Civil War Battlefield Guide which has good maps for some battles.  It mainly is a summary of the battles of the war.  The only maps are the major battles. 

I also have  the Offical Military Atlas of the Civil War which I swear weight 50 lbs (not really) and is a good 18 inches long and 18 inches high .  It is not a book you can hold in your lap .  The print on it is so small and the page so big that it is hard for these old eyes to see.  I love the maps in it .  I told a friend yesterday I was tempted to go to Barnes and Noble buy two of them and cut them up.  Make little files and file the maps away so that when I read about a battle I could pull out that map and use it to follow along .  Two things keep me from doing that.  First of all that would be an expensive buy and second of all I can't cut up a book. 

So what easy to handle chock full of maps Atlas would you all recommend?  Or as the commerical says paraphased.  What's on your shelf? 

Posted: Sun May 6th, 2007 05:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

For an atlas, you have the only best one in the "Official Maps." For NPS and NBS maps, go on line to the VC. It'll take up some filing space, but (near as I can figger) it's the only way you're going to get the maps you want for the battles you want to cover.

Specifically for Stone's River, there is available what promises to be a good modern map on troop movements of the battle. Also available, downloadable only, the Bearss set of 18 maps. Don't know your computer situation, but I'll suspect your printer is limited to 8-1/2 x 11. They're considerably older than more modern interpretations, but I believe they'll be your best choice for tracking and tracing troop movements.

Of course, someone else will have a better idea.

Ole

Posted: Sun May 6th, 2007 09:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Thanks Ole, I was afraid of that.   I even tried to take a picture with my digital but didn't work out well.  I was going to take the picture then print it.  I do have a regular printer and dial up service so downloading is for ever .  I will look at the sites you mentioned.  The maps in Symonds book aren't bad.  Just have to keep turning back to the page. 

The Atlas I have I won at a book raffle at the Sacramento West Coast Round Table Conference this fall.  I won a book and when I went to the table to choose there was no choice I saw what I really wanted. The Atlas.  Friends said I had a grin from ear to ear walking back to my seat hugging the atlas.  It is great to look at but hard to handle .  I dod keep a modern Road Atlas next to the other one when I am reading to put the sites in some modern day driving relationship. 

Thanks

Susan

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2007 02:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Ole has pretty much hit it w/ your Atlas. There are several out there but they are not cheap and the good ones aren't small either.

There is a CD Rom available w/ the West Point Atlas as well as the Official Military Atlas... IIRc around $50 per set.

I too have dial up but have found the maps too large to easily download.  Good Luck

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2007 02:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Johan thanks for the help .  Guess I will just stick with my atlas and "suffer" though.  Considering it was free I can't complain about having a good one .  Guess I will have to get a stand for it and my unabridged dictionary. 

Susan

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2007 03:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

Kitchen table. The only place for the "atlas," unless you have a persnickety houseperson who insists that the table be presentable for anticipated people who come only when summoned or, at least, give three weeks' advance notice of their arrival.

I won't complain about mine. THE atlas has been for months open on a tv table next to her chair which I have coopted rather than moving the reading lamp back to my chair which has no adjacent space for THE atlas. Inasmuch as I haven't referred to it in months, I may have to relent and restore the space to its original owner, move the lamp to MY chair. and find a place to put THE atlas where it doesn't interfere with regular traffic. (Daggone thing doesn't fit on any shelf. Might just lean it against the back of my desk where I don't trip over it in the dark.)

I like maps. Very much. Perhaps more than the battle. In fact, my fascination with maps predates my affection for the USCW. There's something about a map -- almost like being there. Not quite, but there's no way I can be all the places I want to be. The map fills in the gap.

Ole

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2007 03:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I did trip on this atlas already once.  And Yes I love maps . I use to pick up maps at every gas station when I was a kid all along route 66.  I love studying this Atlas. 

I found the Drum Barrack on the  California map .  So much fun to look at all the details. 

Susan

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2007 07:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Steven Cone

Mana: 

Susan, 

Look up Silver Springs, Tn  on your  Offical Military Atlas And thats where I live : )

There was a skirmish there  Nov. 9 1862

regards

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2007 03:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
David White

Mana: 

Have you seen these sites:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/civil_war_maps/

http://www.posix.com/CWmaps/

Posted: Mon May 7th, 2007 05:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

David thanks I will spend some time with these websites.  Looks good.   I do love maps .

Susan

Posted: Tue May 8th, 2007 08:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Stoneveld

Mana: 

See my post on topographic maps. That CD covers about 44 battles. So, again, only the major ones. The Hal Jespersen's one referred to above is quite useful as a schematic representation of battle deployments.

Also, this site has some useful battlefield representations: http://www.civilwar.gatech.edu/

Last edited on Tue May 8th, 2007 09:02 am by Stoneveld

Current time is 07:03 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2576 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 25 queries executed.