Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Uniforms worm @ 1st Manassas/Bull Run - General Civil War Talk - Civil War Talk - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 07:08 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
chrisr

Mana: 

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Apart from studying the Civil War, one of my hobbies is painting military figurines and I intend to make and paint those regiments that fought at the 1st Battle of Manassas/Bull Run. Being "Down Under" sources for uniforms are scarce.

I am aware of some of the different uniforms worn at the battle. eg 1st Rhode Island and Wheat's Tigers but there are many gaps in my references. I understand that the 1st Ohio wore dark blue jackets, dark blue trousers and white havelocks on their kepis but I have assumed this from a lithograph. I do have Katcher's "The Civil War Source Book" but many regiments that fought at the battle are not mentioned.

Can anyone assist me with descriptions of the uniforms worn by the various Confederate and Federal regiments that participated in the battle?

Regards
Chrisr

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 11:25 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Chris -

It might be an unorthodox way of doing it, but I'd suggest checking out Don Troiani's website. He's known for his uniform accuracy in his painting, and I'm sure he has one or two Mannassas prints. Might fill in some gaps for you. I think his site is at http://www.historicalartprints.com/ .

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 03:56 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
chrisr

Mana: 

Javal1,
Thank you for your reply. I will do so.
Cheers
Chris

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 05:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

I must say, chrisr, when you pick a hobby, you don't consider how tough it's going to be.  I'll suspect you'll be spending more time finding out what to paint than actually painting. Troiani is an excellent starting point, and you'll spend a few years duplicating the uniforms he's painted. Then you'll spend the rest of your life attempting to discover the uniforms that he hasn't.

At first Bull Run (or Manassas, if you're of that persuasion), the odd uniform was more the norm than the standard. On both sides (he states with no authority whatsoever), there must have been a dozen zoave uniforms alone -- and that's not counting state and city militias. Confederates in blue, Federals in grey -- zoave units of no detectable allegiance (except for the flag)....... I have to admire the challenge you've set for yourself.

I'm quite interested in your project and would certainly enjoy seeing your results as you progress.

Ole

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 12:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
chrisr

Mana: 

Thanks Ole. Yes it is a daunting task and I'll need all the help I can get. I very much doubt that I will get all of them but I will give it a go. I have the 14th NY (Militia) (14th Brooklyn) completed so there is a long way to go. I have a model of the 79th NY but in a kilt and I know they didn't wear the kilt at Bull Run.

The real problem is that a number companies in the same regiment wore different uniforms, eg Co K of the 69th NY.

Cheers
Chris

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
sjh

Mana: 

Chris

If you can get a copy of Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War, it might be helpful to your endeavors. Also, Troiani has at least two prints featuring 1st Bull Run:

First at Manassas features Jeb Stuart attacking Elsworth's Zouaves and New York's Bravest is an Irish print.

Good luck.

Steve Harper

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 03:35 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
chrisr

Mana: 

Steve,
Many thanks. I'll track Troiani's book down. I have seen the two prints you refer on the Troiani site. he is a fine artist.
Cheers
Chris

Last edited on Sat May 19th, 2007 03:35 am by chrisr

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 11:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Can't add much of use to what has already been said, but I do want to wish you luck in your undertaking to accurately paint the "uniforms" at first Manassas. That is a wonderful and worthwhile project. I was just thinking it would be a major project just to get the battle flags correct. Just think how much you'll learn as you do the research for your project.

Posted: Sat May 19th, 2007 11:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
chrisr

Mana: 

Thank you for your well wishes CleburneFan.

Current time is 02:01 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3919 seconds (27% database + 73% PHP). 25 queries executed.