Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hoping to hear, All aboard! - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 12:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Conductor Bill

Mana: 

Greetings All!

I hope someone will offer an "All Aboard" as I sign up for this exciting board!

I was searching for information regarding the not to far off civil war sesquicentennial and found this site.

A little background ... am a "train nut" (to the point of owning two railcars from the postwar streamliner era) who enjoys all things old.  Discovered this fascinating thing called re-enacting about 6 years ago during a "walking through history" event in my home town.  It included history buffs from many time periods, including Civil War, of course. I'm personally too wrapped up in trains to get into re-enacting but it looks like great fun.  It was that "walking through histroy" event, though, that inspired me to incorporate that aspect into my "period train trips" that I operate between LA and San Diego twice a year ... with a WWII theme. I invite a handful of re-enactors on board who transform the trip into a "time machine"! 

As I'm sure all of you have ... greatly enjoyed Ken Burns Civil War program. It's really ignited a spark of inguiry for me regarding the war.

The reason for joining this board ... I'm hoping to learn more about the civil war as I want to operate a "Civil War theme vacation/train trip" as the 150th anniversary approaches.  Will be eager to learn more about interesting destinations (especially those located near main Amtrak stations ... as it is Amtrak that pulls our vintage cars) that reak Civil War!

Not sure if I will be succede, but have tried to attach a photo showing a "scene" at San Diego, CA.  The photo shows yours truly as conductor, plus one of my porters and a couple re-enactors in WWII uniforms ... shot last year!

Many thanks for your indulgence ... I am more 40's focused, but am fascinated by the Civil War era too!

-conductor bill

Attachment: civil_war_board.jpg (Downloaded 51 times)

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 03:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Hello, Conductor Bill!

I, for one, am looking forward to your sharing the broad and integrated view of history that you have to offer!

I recently and unexpectedly inherited a late WWII's soldier's collection of "memorablia":  things that he had captured or collected in the field, along with his personal medals.  I am overwhelmed - didn't know what half the things were, and couldn't identify some easily  - I had to research for two weeks, only to discover that I had been kindly given some rather rare and unique items, all contained in a singularly ugly, old metal box.  I haven't been visiting my normal CW sites as frequently lately, as I touch and learn what these rather amazing pieces signify.....WWII is coming to mean so much  more to me now than watching Band of Brothers ....

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 03:43 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Conductor Bill

Mana: 

Wow ... that is absolutly amazing ... I feel the same way about the "greatest generation". Around year 2001, I heard and incredible (but sad) fact ... that we were losing our WWII vets at the rate of 1000 a DAY! That number has increased to about 1300/day. Learning that fact alone has changed so much in my life ... appreciating what others have done for me for one!

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 01:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bill , since you are from Santa Ana,I am inviting you to join us at the Orange Country Civil War Round Table that meets the third Tuesday of the month at Carrows in Huntington Beach , right off the 405 freeway at Warner  and Magnolia.  Our guest speaker you might have seen at Marching though History.  Torin Finney of the Bohemania Brigade.  We meet at 6 for dinner, the meeting itself starts at 7.  Love to have you join us . 

You also might be interested in coming to the Drum Barracks in Wilmington off PCH and Avalon on Banning Ave  next week end , Dec 1 and 2 to atttend the Christmas Open house at the Drum Barracks and Banning House.  Both will be decorated for Christmas with a shuttle horse drawn carriage  taking people between the two .  The Drum will be staffed with docents in period costume (including me) and reenactors will be out in front , 116th Penn.  Bredan Sharpshooters and more .  It's free.  11 to 4 . both Saturday and Sunday

Susan Sweet

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 03:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Conductor Bill

Mana: 

Your so sweet Susan! Thanks for the info ... the Drum Barracks event sounds like loads of fun, but unfortunatly, will be running the railcar on a holiday charter that weekend. Is there a website for the Drum Barracks?
-conductor bill

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 04:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bill , Come visit anytime we are open .  I work there on Wednesdays.  http://www.drumbarracks.org/    I did hear we will be closed the week after Christmas .  but check the website out .  Susan Oagle is the director.  We have a very nice museum.  A new exhibit has just been put in the barracks room. 

Come to our Round Table meeting on 3rd Thursday .  A good group of people . 

http://www.cwrtorangecounty-ca.org/cwrtocc.html

Susan Sweet

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 03:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

bill

Welcome aboard LOL. Man that Train tour looks cool wish MO. was closer to Cal. I am interested in WWII also got hooked thanks to "Band of Brothers" and the latest Ken Burns flick.  Amtrak does come into KC maybe you could take a Long train ride someday KC has a cool WW2 memorial not far from the station.

Last edited on Tue Nov 27th, 2007 03:51 pm by younglobo

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 06:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Don

Mana: 

Bill,

Welcome aboard. I was a little confused about the train tour for the sesquicentennial (which is a fantastic idea, btw). Are you doing a Civil War themed one in CA, or are you looking at doing one near one or more of the battlefields? If the latter, I know Amtrak runs from Wiiliamsburg to Richmond to DC, and I'd imagine there are stops between....

Don

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 09:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

My brothers are into trains just as much as you are. Its nice to have you here.

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 03:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Conductor Bill

Mana: 

Don wrote: Bill,

Welcome aboard. I was a little confused about the train tour for the sesquicentennial (which is a fantastic idea, btw). Are you doing a Civil War themed one in CA, or are you looking at doing one near one or more of the battlefields? If the latter, I know Amtrak runs from Wiiliamsburg to Richmond to DC, and I'd imagine there are stops between....

Don

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone (and sorry for disappearing ... have been running the wheels off of the railcar during Dec ... our "Pearl Harbor Day Troop Train" was wonderful ... several PH Veterans joined us and gave brief testimonies regarding that fateful day.  Awsome to hear them speak .... if only we had some recordings from the CW era!)  Don ... regarding our hoped for CW train ... it will start in CA but will run to historic sites in the east.

-b

Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2007 03:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bill , welcome back.  Our Orange Country Round Table meets at Carrows on Warner and Magnolia tomorrow night Tuesday Dec. 18th.  Our speaker is on the Bohemian Brigade.  Should be a good one .  Oh and we will have a free drawing for two new books.  We will also have Cake.  Seems to some the cake is important. 

Meeting starts at 7 but we meet at 6 for dinner.  Come join us . 

Susan

Current time is 07:06 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.1807 seconds (12% database + 88% PHP). 26 queries executed.