Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

New Member - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 05:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Chuck Stiles

Mana: 

Just logged on as a new member.  Had great-great grandfathers who served in the Confederate units of western NC and northeast GA.  2 ancestors, Joseph Gibson and Alfred Panther served in the 39th NC infantry under Col. David Coleman.  Other members of our Stiles family served in local union organizations out of east Tennessee and western North Carolina.. My great great grandfather Thomas Stiles who served in Walkers Legion was captured by a union band that included his own son, Benjamin. He was sent to a union prison in Knoxville in 1863, where he died.  Do not know exactly where he is buried.  My mother's side of the family, the Ledfords and Berrongs served out of Towns County GA. and Clay County, NC.. these areas are right on the border of NC and GA.   David and Center Ledford enlisted in 1862 in Clay county NC.. both deserted in 1863, if I'm not mistaken.  Center rejoined the Confederate army but great-great grandfather David was captured by provost guards and killed.  This area of western North Carolina and northeast Georgia was very divided in it's choices of which side to join... Many just wanted to stay out of it altogether..  The Berrong ancestors served in the 52nd Georgia and 65th Georgia... Hope to enjoy talking with you all soon.

Chuck Stiles

Hayesville, North Carolina

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 07:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

Many welcomes, Chuck! You'll find many Tar Heels on the board. What you know of your ancestors will be welcome information to many. Your input will be valuable.

ole+_

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 10:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Welcome to the board, Chuck - looking forward to sharing with you.

That's a very impressive family history!

My great great grandfather Thomas Stiles who served in Walkers Legion was captured by a union band that included his own son, Benjamin. He was sent to a union prison in Knoxville in 1863, where he died.

Wow - what a story - I'm speechless....

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 11:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Chuck Stiles

Mana: 

Thank you for getting back in touch with me...

There are many stories like this in this area... some of us remember them from those who are already gone... I have been an avid, reader, painter and historian since those days when my father showed me the old razor that Joseph Gibson carried thru his time in the Army of Tennesee...(I think I was in the 4th grade at that rime) Joseph came home to the mountains of Cherokee County NC to where he grew up in what they then called Beech Creek, outside of Murphy NC.  His family was intermarried with the Panthers in that little small area...  Alfred  Panther came back home without much more than the clothes he had to cover him.. but Joseph had a rifle which we had brought home or someone in the family saved hidden to keep away from whatever raiders that decided to vist the homestead...  Any way, Joseph traded the rifle to Alfred Panther for a little ole mountain top outside of Murphy that to this day is still called Panther Top.   A mountain for a rifle...  at that time which do you figure was more impotant....  There comes the Stiles, Gibson, and Panther linage into my father's side of the family..

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 11:29 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

An awesome story!

Are you keeping a written record of these things?

I am so glad that you have joined us and am very much looking forward to hearing more about your history.

Posted: Fri Feb 8th, 2008 11:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Chuck Stiles

Mana: 

Thank you,
Wait til I tell you about the Ledford side of the family during this period of history...
Peace,
Chuck

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2008 01:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Don

Mana: 

Welcome to the group, Chuck!

Posted: Sun Feb 10th, 2008 04:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Rebel Yell
Belle,Bourbon,Battlefields

Mana: 

From one new member to another, welcome!!!

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 12:48 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Michael C. Hardy

Mana: 

Chuck:

Welcome to the group. I too live in western NC - Avery County. I do a lot of writing about the area - currently working on a book about the 58th NCT.

Regards,
Michael
http://www.michaelchardy.com

Posted: Mon Feb 11th, 2008 09:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Welcome Chuck look foward to hearing more and learning

Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2008 01:52 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

From one North Carolinian to another Welcome Chuck

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 10:14 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
Chuck Stiles

Mana: 

hey! thank you for getting in touch with me,, love the photo of Bill Anderson... He has always been a great interest of mine ..   I have a copy of the photo you have shown as your icon and also have a copy of the photo of him after he was killed and horribly set out for view.. But.. you know, he still had diginity, even in death...Knowing about the conflicts and trials of allegiance at that time in that area,  It's so similiar to what went on in the mountains here in western North Carolina and north Georgia...

Anderson, James and Younger  Yeah!

Chuck Stiles

Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2008 10:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Anderson, James and Younger! Wow! Cool! Now there must be a story in that somewhere.

Oh, welcome to the board, by the way.

Posted: Thu Feb 21st, 2008 02:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Glad to have you on the board. 

Current time is 08:47 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3775 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 25 queries executed.