Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Hello! - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 12:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I found this board by accident...random websearch....but it looked pretty cool so I decided to "Jine". I have always been interested in the ACW but last year I stepped it up a notch after a road trip across the US that ended in Gettysburg PA. I saw many inspiring sites along the way including Ft. Sumter, Ft. Moultrie, the H.L. Hunley, Fredericksburg, Petersburg, Richmond, and  Gettysburg. A later journey took me to Corinth Ms and Shiloh. Years ago I visited the Franklin and Nashville battlesites.
Next month I'm going to Vicksburg for a few days to explore all the Civil war sites in that area. My great Grandfather on my mothers side was a member of the 2nd Ga. Cavalry Regiment. My great  great Grandfather on my dads side was a member of the Macon light artilery. I read a lot of books and lately most of them are of course ACW history. I look forward to discussing this infinitely interesting period of US history(as well as other topics) with all you good folks.

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 12:37 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
izzy

Mana: 

Welcome aboard Captain Crow. :)

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 12:42 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Hey, Cap'n,

Are you any relation to Sheryl...?

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 01:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Not as far as I know... I do write music and play several instruments...not nearly as pretty though LOL!

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 01:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

welcome to the board Cap'n.

what do you play? i play guitar, mandolin, and piano, and at the moment im workin on the banjo

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 02:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Guitar, Bass, mellodica, some percussion, a lil harmonica, and I also sing and write songs. I wish played piano(great writing instrument) but I haven't gotten around to it yet...maybe someday.

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 03:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Welcome Captain.  Have you been out to Honey Springs yet ? 

Susan

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 04:27 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Oddly enough No.....I've been saving it for a quickie weekend ACW fix. I think I shall go this year as there will be a large re-enactment Sept 17. They alternate with Cabin Creek every other year. I also am planning a Pea Ridge - Wilson's Creek weekend in the near future. Strangely I lived in Springdale AR for 2 years in the late 80's and never visited PR. I wasn't really that into ACW at the time. Now I'm kind of glad I didn't go there back then because it gives me another excuse for a road trip now LOL!

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 04:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I went to Honey Springs last year in the pouring rain.  visitors center was closed.  I loved what I saw.  Would have liked to explore more.  It did lead me to read more about the Battle which isn't that far from where my grandparents use to live in Poteau.

Susan

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 05:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

Most people don't even realize there were any ACW battles here in OK. I'll have to admit for years the only engagements I studied were the big ones in the east. Now I'm digging for those hidden nuggets like Corinth, Davis Bridge, Port Gibson, Cabin Creek, etc etc. The Trans-Mississippi theater has a lot of really interesting characters like Bloody Bill , Gen.Stand Waitie,and Gen.Henry H. Sibley to name a few.

Last edited on Mon Jul 14th, 2008 09:39 pm by Captain Crow

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 06:16 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
TimK

Mana: 

A few years back on a family vacation to Lake of the Ozarks, everyone in the party went on a side trip to Branson while I went on a solo excursion to Wilsons Creek and Pea Ridge. At each battlefield, I parked at the VC and hiked all over each park. One of the best weekends of my life.

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 06:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
izzy

Mana: 

TimK,  That's a lot of walking!  Especially Pea Ridge.  I thought I was going to freeze to death when I was there this last spring.  It was blowing 30 and snowing like crazy.  The East Overlook is a spectacular view but I couldn't stand that cold wind for long.  It's a great park.  I hope to get back there some day.

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 07:34 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Admittedly, I was younger and healthier, and I do remember the dogs barkin' pretty loud those nights. I also had good weather. But there is nothing like getting out and feeling the ground. I'll never understand people that won't (if they are able to) get out of the car.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 09:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Captain Crow
Proud Southerner

Mana: 

I usually drive to each marked tour stop (unless they're close together) then explore the area on foot. I always carry my camera bag, a bottle of water, and a book and/or a park map or tour guide related to the park. After 8 battlefields in the last year I'm getting pretty good at this ACW touring thing.....feet hurt a little at night though....45 aint like 25 that's fo sho.

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 11:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Yeah - I have to admit it - I need a few more breaks and quite a bit more ibuprofen, but stompin is the only way to do it. I can read thousands of words, but walking it makes it real for me. And ALWAYS carry a good map.

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 11:22 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

"And ALWAYS carry a good map."

Like one of these:

LOL - no extra charge Tim! :P+_

Posted: Mon Jul 14th, 2008 11:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Welcome, Capt. Crow!:)

I didn't know there was any OTHER way to "do" a battlefield when I started. My husband (not interested in the CW but tolerant of me) would put me down at a spot of my choosing at Gettysburg, and drive off for a few hours, and meet me where I told him to. So I got a lot of stompin' miles in right off--not to mention those damn deer ticks!

Pam

Posted: Tue Jul 15th, 2008 01:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
TimK

Mana: 

Thanks for taking the bait, Joe. I appreciate it. Next time I'm down in Tennessee, the beverages are on me.

But seriously - hiking up Kennesaw Mountain or Maryland Heights gave me a new feeling of respect. The gentle slope of Seminary Ridge or walking from the Rappahannock through the neighborhoods of Fredericksburg to get to the stone wall (which requires a certain degree of imagination) - I don't know if I could understand what I read without walking these places. Sometime before I die, I need to walk the Jackson trail around Chancellorsville, although I've driven it several times. I've walked from Fraley Field to Pittsburg Landing one year on April 6th. Pam - I don't know you or your husband, but I would be willing to bet a Dr. Pepper that if he walked with you, he may develop an interest. But then again, my wife has seen me pack a couple bananas, a box of Wheat Thins and a couple bottles of water and told me to go have a good time. Picking ticks off assorted body parts after a long day never helped my cause - but I love it.

Posted: Tue Jul 15th, 2008 09:51 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
lifl2003

Mana: 

Welcome Captain Crow!! This is a great board with alot of interesting people and discussions. I am glad I found it too!!;)

Mike

Current time is 09:30 amPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2106 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 26 queries executed.