Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Greetings - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue May 24th, 2011 06:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
bhh

Mana: 

:)Just joined wanted to share what I have learned after 30 years study.  A re-enactor and former VP of Austin Civil War Roundtable.  Have my BA in History.  I am pro South, but not a fan of Slavery, kkk, and the nazis, so don't label me like some did at the History Channel Discussion Board and I hope people here to be more open minded and not just take what some history teacher repeated from what they were told.  There are new facts to be learned.  Note I don't use the word truth.  No one has the corner on it and each as their vision what they think is true.  I just state fact.  Means sometimes one sounds mean, uncaring, rude, and anti-US which is far from the actual feelings.  But a fact is a fact weather we like them are not.

I am dyslexic and don't spell well and sometimes in typing drop a word out.  Like the word "not" which can really look bad.  Just take it out of the forth sentence in this intro and see what you get.  So be aware of this and know I am just a human, like everyone else here. 

Some of what I would lik to share is the new newspaper section for the Library of Congress web site.  Newspapers from around the Country starting in 1860 to today.  So go to Library of Congress and take a look.  Pick you favorite if it is there. 

Finding it very interesting that Lincoln and the abolishest are talking about slavery, the South is talking mostly about the taxes, and Republican's platform, and the Northerner about states leaving the Union.  But then I have only look at a couple of the newspapers from around the time S.C. is leaving the Union in Dec. of 1860.

Posted: Tue May 24th, 2011 02:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Mark

Mana: 

Welcome to the forum BHH, and thanks for the heads up with the newspapers, I went and took a look at a couple. What a great resource. I am confused about your suggestion that only the Northern newspapers are talking about slavery. In the first paper I looked at, The Anderson Intellegencier (South Carolina, August 1860) I found this, "We believe that we have certain inalienable rights which neither legislation by Congress, territorial legislation or judical decisions can deprive us. Among these are .... personal property. We believe that slaves are property and thus one of our inalienable rights..." It goes on to extol the virtues of slavery. What newspapers were you looking at specificly? Best regards,

Mark

Posted: Tue May 24th, 2011 03:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
bhh

Mana: 

We more then likely shouldn't use this place of our comments, but as I stated, I had looked as just a few. It wasn't surprising that slavery wasn't that big a deal in what I read. Like the President when he took office talked mainly about the health care package he wanted, while the country was beginning to lose jobs, and many other things were going on. Not all anyone's fault. But his focus was one thing, for others something else. But don't forget those who were in power were those who had time for Politics and debate and meetings. The rest of the people were just trying to make a living and didn't own slaves.

Posted: Thu May 26th, 2011 01:10 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Welcome!!!

Enjoy sharing, watching, learning and teaching!!! We're a great bunch here!!...I been commin here since before the days when registering was an option (sometime in the 90's) and I love it & recomend it highly!!!

Current time is 11:44 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3061 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 24 queries executed.