Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

New Member - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Aug 10th, 2014 08:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
MadJohn

Mana: 

greetings all,
I am Mad John. Not really mad but some may think so. I am a retired mechanical engineer. Now I have a bit of time on my hands to pursue my hobbies. I am a gunsmith and have been doing this as a hobby for over forty years. I currently work for museums and private collections and institutions on care and repair of antique and historic weapons. I have been a life long collector of American weapons prior to the Indian War period. One of my Museums has had a fire and lost a considerable part of their Civil War and earlier weapons collection. My job has been to recover as much of these pieces to presentable condition. It has been several years and I am far from completion. I have recovered a couple hundred pieces. Museum work is great.
Recently I finally managed to purchase an item that has been on my list for many years. It is out of my realm of expertise as I do not know alot about artillery.
This is a place where I would like to start a discussion.
Thanks, John

Posted: Mon Aug 11th, 2014 10:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Old Blu

Mana: 

Welcome. What kind of cannon do you have?

Posted: Mon Aug 11th, 2014 05:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
MadJohn

Mana: 

I only have the barrel at this point. I have bought the solid furniture grade oak to build the truck for it. It is not very big, only 21 inches from muzzle to breech. with the knob on the breech. It weighs just under fifty pounds with a 1 1/2 inch or 33 mm bore. I found it at an estate sale a few weeks ago near Rock Island Illinois. Around the muzzle is marked F. P. F. and 1862 on the breech there are the letters P.H.A.W. in small punched markings. A very faint No. 1 that also appears to be cast on the breech. The muzzle lettering I believe was cast with the barrel or possibly etched and quite ornate, typical lettering for the period. It appears to be sound with only slight pitting in the bore and around the vent. X-rays show no cracks or casting flaws. It has seen service. The kind that may have been used on boats on the Mississippi, Missouri or Ohio rivers.
it is a cute little bugger. I'll have pictures when it is finished. Take Care, MJ

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2014 07:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to knowing artillery. These two sites might be of some help or you might just want to tell me off because you already know this stuff in them.

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/ (I visit this one a bit)

http://www.civilwarhome.com/artilleryterms.html

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2014 08:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
MadJohn

Mana: 

Thanks for the info. I am always ready to look at anything even if I may have seen it before. I work for museums and I have learned never to overlook anything because most is worth a second look. Thanks MJ

Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2014 05:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
wondering

Mana: 

Looking forward to your thoughts and expertise, MadJohn. I have much to learn about Civil War artillery operations. Greetings, and welcome.

Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2014 12:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
MadJohn

Mana: 

I will be glad to help in any way I can. My forte is not actually Civil War Artillery. I just have the one small piece. My area is Indian Wars and before firearms and weapons. My specialty is Model 1877 Colt Double Action Revolvers. But any pre 1900 hand gun all the way back to Snaphaunce and wheelocks. MJ

Current time is 01:34 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3856 seconds (28% database + 72% PHP). 25 queries executed.