Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

hey y'all - Introductions - About this Forum - Start Here - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2007 01:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Hey guys,

Stumbled across this board, just about like I do with almost everything else on the Internet.

You seem like a informed group, very opinionated and yet still civil (heh, heh).

Me? 56 years old, galvinized. Originally from Pennsylvania, but have lived in North Carolina for the past 30 years. So perhaps my subject greeting might be a little misleading, but 30 years in the south can do that to a guy. (I could have said, 'Hi, youse guys.') Anyway, married a southern girl, so had to learn to speak the language.

Have cultivated an interest in the Civil War since childhood, switched to WWII for a while, then back to CW again. You'd think with all that interest in history I would have turned out be be something other than a sports writer (now retired), but such is life.

Will soon be headed to Gettysburg for the Civil War Institute, which I have been attending for the past 17 years. This year's topic is soldiers, civilians and Fredericksburg and our primary field trip will be to Fredericksburg (what a surprise). Some of our lecturers and tour guides include the legendary Ed Bearrs, James McPherson, Frank O'Reilly, George Rable and Chuck Teague. Should be a good time.

Any other CWI attendees out there?

Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2007 02:00 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Welcome PC,

Where are you from in PA? Allentown here, also a "transplanted" southerner, but have only been here 8 years. Glad you introduced yourself, and welcome. May be a bit slow till Monday, as there's a Civil War muster happening right now that many members are attending. Enjoy your stay...

Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2007 02:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

HI, Pvt Clewell. I spent my childhood years in Chambersburg, PA.  You know, that place Confederate General John  McCausland burned to the ground July 1864 in retaliation for Union operations in the Shenanadoah Valley.

Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2007 03:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Well, as if I needed another example of how small this world is. I was born in Allentown (TastyKakes, cheese steaks, Hess Bros., PP&L), lived in Fountain Hill for a while in my youth. Went to college at Kutztown State after forays in New Hampshire and Connecticut in my teenage years. Came to North Carolina because that's where the job was.

I now speak fluent southern and enjoy pork barbecue.

It's aftre 11 p.m. I'm going to bed.

Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2007 01:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

PC -

LOL...stop, you're making me hungry. Thinking of tastykakes (always washed down with A-Treat Birch Beer), cheese steaks (Brass Rail of course) and Yocco's hot dogs. Hess Bros. is history now, but at least the PP&L building still stands. Piece of trivia - did you know that at one time (1930's), the PP&L building was not only the tallest office building in the country, but also had the fastest elavator in the world. Memories. Welcome to the board.

Posted: Thu Jun 14th, 2007 03:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

PVT

Welcome to the board from a Missouri Boy. I have been thru Allentown in my truck (which is my profession) nice area. Anyway welcome to the board .

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Jun 17th, 2007 12:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Mr. Duncan,
I stand humbled, flattered and honored before you. Thank you for the kind words.

To younglobo,
Thank you for the welcome. Tell me about Lexington, Mo.
Lexington, NC, is about 20,000 population, located about 25 miles south of Winston-Salem, and is famous for its pork barbecue. In fact, this little town has about 17 active barbecue restaurants — you virtually have to go out of town if you want something else to eat. We have a Barbecue Festival in October, now in its 25th year, that brings in well over 100,000 people to town for a single day. It's amazing.

To CleburneFan
Whenever we go to G-burg, we take the Chambersburg exit to get on Rte. 30. Have you been to C-burg recently? Rte. 30 is pretty much built up these days and just horrible to drive. Where is McCausland when you really need him?
Note: At one of our Civil War Institutes a few years ago, we took a field trip to C-burg and visited Messersmith Woods, where Lee set up his HQ prior to Henry Heth getting caught up in that little skirmish on Herr Ridge a few days later.

Current time is 08:43 pm

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3228 seconds (10% database + 90% PHP). 26 queries executed.