Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

8th grade education - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Feb 9th, 2006 08:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

I haven't been able to post for a while and wanted to answer this posting.  If you notice the questions are all basic recall type questions. Kids today have so much more to learn than these kids.  They need to learn higher level thinking skills and research skills that kids 100  years ago didn't know how to use.  Education was pour the knowledge in and the kids just repeat it back on a test.   

I taught first grade for 25 of the 35 years I was a teacher.  In those years what a first grader was require to know increased greatly.  I watched those students progress though their years of education.  They would return and share what they were learning in high school  I was amazed at the difference in what was required of them to finish high school and what was required in my years as a student. Trust me it was much more now . One of my students is now an English teacher at an award winning high school here in Orange County.  Her students work hard and learn in her classes.  She is an awesome teacher. 

Kids are still learning , still bright , just learn different things.  Ask those kids in Kansas 100 years ago to explain a computer , how to program a vcr or their ring tones on a cell phone, how to burn a cd , how to play video games, do you think they would be able to do any of these things?  So no, I do not think kids these days are dumber which by the way was a banned word in my classroom as dumb means, if you look it up . lacking the ablity to speak.  None of my students lacked the ability to speak , trust me!!!!   

Posted: Fri Feb 10th, 2006 02:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
David White

Mana: 

Couldn't resist posting this one since we sidetracked the thread into Philadelphia anyway :

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/09/bus.passenger.tossed.ap/index.html

I'm sure it was a Brotherly Shove.;)

Posted: Fri Feb 10th, 2006 05:28 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Good one!!  Was it on this site or did I read it somewhere else that at Monticello the price of admission is such that the change is 2.00 dollars.  So they give you change in 2 dollar bills.  I seem to remember when I was there getting a 2 dollar bill at the ticket booth. 

Hmm next time guess we should pay with a Sacagawea gold dollar and a Susan B.Anthony dollar. That should really throw them off.

As to Philly Cheese Steaks ---- Only place to get them is Pats.  A friend took me there the first time and taught me how to order so I didn't get yelled at.  Order sandwich first window, fries and coke second window.  Order sandwich  steak with .  This is always a stop on the tour when visiting Philly . 

On the other hand anyone ever experienced the Varsity in Atlanta? 

Posted: Fri Feb 10th, 2006 06:40 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
connyankee

Mana: 

A few years back, the University of Connecticut did a survey of college seniors at 55 of the country's top colleges which they dubbed the "Elite College History Survey".  65% who took this high school history test flunked it.

Here's what they offered.  Try it out and judge for yourself.

http://www.education-world.com/a_issues/TM/WS_college_history_survey.shtml

As for Pat's cheesesteaks, there is no better food in the world.  There's a sign right next to the window, as stated earlier, on how to order so that you don't look like a fool.  I can feel my arteries hardening now just thinking about all that top-notch grease.  In our youths, our veins ran with ice cold Ballantine Beer. http://www.patskingofsteaks.com/  Hope these links work.

Atlanta - never went to the Varsity but I had heard about it.  Did go to Dantes Down the Hatch and had some great fondue and grog.

Oh yeah, Texas barbeque is top-notch too!

Regards,

CY

Posted: Fri Feb 10th, 2006 06:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

CY -

Oh, the memories. Being from Allentown, PA. I well remember Ballantine. The big three in local breweries were Ballantine, Neuweiler and Horlacher. Gotta go...getting thirsty!

Posted: Sat Feb 11th, 2006 12:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
susansweet2

Mana: 

Cy you must go to Varsity one day and hear the counter people called What'll y'all have what'll y'all have.   They have special way to order too which is how I ended up with a chili dog instead of a regular hotdog with mustard.   The drive in outside is even better.  Some of the guys out there must have been there the whole 75 years.  They start singing out as they walk up to the car to take your order.  I saw the place on a pbs special about regional food places.  So when Iwas in Atlanta I went.  So glad it is clear across the continent from me in California as I am that Pat's is too.  Now Barbque.  We have good Santa Maria bar b que in California.  tri tip sandwiches are wonderful.  When I am not doing Civil War I am involved with a group from Visalia  that does Cowboy Culture at different events.  They cook cobbler in dutch overs over charcoal and cook tri tip over open fire.  Last year at the Fresno reenactment we sold made over 200 cobblers.  Also sold biscuits and gravy to the reenactors too; 

Okay I am hungry now and that is not a good thing!!!!!

Posted: Fri Feb 17th, 2006 07:19 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

connyankee wrote: A few years back, the University of Connecticut did a survey of college seniors at 55 of the country's top colleges which they dubbed the "Elite College History Survey".  65% who took this high school history test flunked it.

Here's what they offered.  Try it out and judge for yourself.

http://www.education-world.com/a_issues/TM/WS_college_history_survey.shtml

Alright, someone who knows how to score things is going to have to tell me how well I did. I got 27 out of 34 correct. The first one I got wrong was number 7 and I stupidly decided not to go with my first choice thinking it was too logical with what I know and what I remember being taught in eight grade about the Emancipation Proclamation. The only other one I got wrong that I should have gotten right was number 28, there I should have paid attention to the roman numerals instead of blindly circling. Thought I was circling WWII only to find out I circled WWI. Other than those two, I really would have missed the ones I did.

Some I thought were way too easy, like the dates. Given those kinds of ranges for dates, I think it's easier to get the correct answer, which makes the 65% failing all the sadder. Then there was questions 5 and 17 which, while indeed would be a part of history, I feel don't belong on a history quiz. Their more pop culture and I'd bet were two that rarely were missed.

Last edited on Sat Aug 21st, 2010 06:33 am by Hellcat

Current time is 06:34 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3619 seconds (16% database + 84% PHP). 26 queries executed.