Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Worst Promotion Ever? - Other History - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Feb 26th, 2007 04:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

OK, I'd love 5-minutes alone with the idiot who came up with this one....

You have to wonder how anyone could have thought this was a good idea: Dr. Pepper announced via a clue in one of their promotions that it had buried a coin worth as much as one million dollars in the 347-yea-old Granary Burying Ground, final resting place of no less than John Hancock, Paul Revere and Samuel Adams.

Contestants, ready to unearth the coin, showed up at the gates of the Burial Ground on Tuesday, only to find that the city had closed them, fearing the historic site would be damaged by the digging.

"It absolutely is disrespectful," Boston Parks Commissioner Toni Pollak told the Boston Globe. "It's an affront to the people who are buried there, our nation's ancestors."

Cadbury Schweppes, the inappropriately British company that owns Dr. Pepper, apologized after a coin worth $10,000 was recovered near a 200-year-old crypt.

"The coin should never have been placed in such a hallowed site, and we sincerely apologize," Artkop [spokesperson] said in a statement. What was Dr. Pepper thinking telling people to dig up Paul Revere's grave? —MEGHANN MARCO

Dr Pepper apologizes for placing coin near crypt [Boston Globe]

Dr Pepper promotion closes cemetery [Buffalo News]

Posted: Mon Feb 26th, 2007 07:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

There was another thread about relic digs, now this .  That graveyard is one of my favorites to visit.  I have a picture I have a  picture taken there I love to share wih friends by saying here is me , Paul Revere and my sister in law.  Friends look and look before they realize he monument is Paul Revere's grave.  It is a small cemetery right in the middle of Boston.  I am so offended that it would be used for a "promotional"  I am so glad the gates were locked. 

I am learning quickly that most people don't care about the past , it what about me generation.  how do I get something fast .  never mind what is destroyed.  I have been arguring this point with a fried for months.  He is one of those rock takers.  His goal is to own a rock from every battlefield. I have argued til I am blue in the face that it is not right.   He doesn't care, it is what he wants!!   He also doesn't believe in mueseums for artifacts , he collects Civil War relics and thinks they are better off with collectors .  aggghhhhhh    After all that now this coin hunt.   Don't you just want to

stand up and yell STOP!!!!!! 

Posted: Tue Feb 27th, 2007 10:13 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Widow

Mana: 

Susan, yes, I have one like that rock collector in my family, my cousin's wife.  They were in town on business, but fortunately for me, they stayed at a hotel.  To give you an idea:

They said, "We want to take you to lunch."  So when the check came around, he looked at it, did a little arithmetic, pulled out some cash, then handed the check to me and said, "Here, Patty, the rest is your share."  I wasn't quick-minded enough to protest.

We went window shopping.  She wanted to try on some sandals, but wasn't wearing socks.  The clerk offered her a new pair, which she put on while she pranced and preened.  She didn't buy the sandals OR the socks.

I took them to dinner.  They ordered a $21 platter of some delicacy for the appetizer, the most expensive entrees, and two drinks each.  Didn't even offer to pay the tip.

This is the topper.

At Mount Vernon, botanical historians have painstakingly researched the types of flowers that grew in Washington's time, and have saved the seeds to replicate his beautiful flower garden.  We strolled along the brick walkways through the garden, and Iris BROKE OFF TWIGS FROM TWO PLANTS!!  She wanted to plant them in her yard.  Yeah, right, they live in northern Colorado, not exactly the same climate as Mount Vernon.

It's one thing to soak a relative.  But to steal something you can't possibly use, that will die before you even get home...

Patty

Posted: Tue Feb 27th, 2007 02:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Widow:

And I'll bet they're the first to complain about manners and inconsiderate people.

Ole

Posted: Tue Feb 27th, 2007 05:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Oh geeze Patty I have had those experiences too. I had friends meet me in Ashland Oregon to go to the theatre.  I took them to the dinner theatre in town.  I bought four tickets to the show. The tickets were not cheap!!!! There were four of us.  i said to them I would spring for he tickets if they would buy dinner .  There was a couple and a single male.  The couple put in just enough money to pay half he bill.  Now remember the three of them were to pay for my dinner.  Oh and my single friend order  munchies before dinner .  The couple ate most of them but didn't pay for them when they paid their "half " of the bill.  So my other friend got stuck with the major part of the dinner bill and I had paid for the tickets .  Nice huh? 

I have seen people I know take cutting, pick up rocks, and worst of all there was one couple I knew , friends of friends that actually had relics they picked up differen places around he world. 

My friend that takes the rocks wife took cuttings at one of the places we stopped but at least she asked at the visitors center if she could .  They told her she could.  The plants were not hisorical plants such as Mt Vernon .  They were tea plants at the Tea Plantation. 

I do admit at the hotels I take the soaps and such and the pens.  I recyle them to a halfway house or to our UDC groups support of the troops packages. 

Last edited on Tue Feb 27th, 2007 05:34 pm by susansweet

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 05:58 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
ole

Mana: 

I do admit at the hotels I take the soaps and such and the pens.  I recyle them to a halfway house or to our UDC groups support of the troops packages.

The cost of that sort of amenity is included in the price of the room. If you didn't take the stuff, the housekeeping staff, which would be expected to replace the missing items, is then free to recycle them in the charity of its choices. That sounds like an "everybody does it" excuse. I never take the stuff because I won't be bothered with those little things. But, since you mentioned where they can be useful, I believe I'll start taking them.

The examples given by Susan and Widow are quite familiar. I have nothing recent to add. In our circle, there is a language: "We're taking you .... " means our treat and if you have a sense of decency, you will offer to at least pitch in the tip, although that's not a requirement. "Let's get together for ... " means we're going dutch -- split it however you feel is equitable. Approximate it, but note the prices and make the effort to carry your share. No rules, but it works. It appears to be that we're losing part of the social contract: consideration of the other party. Those who coined the phrase, "the ME generation" seem to be gathering respect for their prediction.

Oops! My soapbox broke. Are there no REAL craftsmen around anymore. Excuse, please: craftspeople.

Ole

Posted: Wed Feb 28th, 2007 06:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ole I knew that about he soaps etc.  When I was a kid  we would go visit my grandparents in Oklahoma each summer , We would take the soaps from the motels and then at Christmas when the teacher would bring out the little Red Cross boxes that we filled and sent to Korea (dating myself here )  I would always have the soaps for the box. 

So since then I take them and pass them on to among other places the Teen shelter here in HB , the halfway house, the Soldiers Angels. Several years ago a woman who ran our local mail place had all her customers trained to bring her their soaps an other items from their business trips. She would then get shoe boxes from local stores .  In her space time she made shoe box kits for the homeless in the area.  She would go with others into the camps in the river bed (yeah we have a river just no water in it most of the time) and pass out the boxes.  I gave to her for years .  I even have other friends giving me their soaps now too. 

You have chosen to ignore JDC Duncan. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Mar 1st, 2007 03:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
Homeschool_Teen_02

Mana: 

Wow those guys had some serious problems.

cheers,
Homy boy

Current time is 04:24 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3253 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 26 queries executed.