Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

College Ball - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Sep 11th, 2007 10:37 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Doc C

Mana: 

My favorite time of the year, college ball, baseball playoffs. Just wanted to see others comments on their favorite teams etc. Know Aggie Dave will chime in on his Aggies overtime win this past weekend. How bout them LSU Tigers. Barring a hickup with Auburn, Alabama, Florida should meet USC in the Dome for the National Chamionship. Geaux Tigers/Yankees.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 12:05 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Penn State here. Also Philadelphia Eagles, Philadelphia Phillies.

Woooo. Patriots are cheaters, huh?

Right now, the most fun to watch is Tiger Woods. The guy is phenomenal. Any golfers out there in Civil War cyberland?

Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 01:45 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Private

I'm a golf addict. Can't say that the Fedex Cup does anything for me. The 4 majors, especially the US Open, are still the cream of the crop. Think it's the PGA's attempt to get more corp. money and keep the interest up post majors. Agree, Tiger is incredible. However, advise not going to any of the tournaments he's in, way too crowded. Have seen him numerous times since he joined the tour. Was a sponsor of the Nationwide for a number of years when it was the Hogan/Nike Tour (stopped when the tour starting asking for more money and rather than give it to the tour players or charities, sent it to their corp. office). Great tournaments to see, easy access to the players, who really enjoy having people follow them. Going to Williamsburg in Oct for a golf trip with my son, hope to visit Petersburg while I'm there.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 07:29 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

I'm in kentucky, and as anyone should know basketball is king here. However, Kentucky does have a pretty solid football team this year, too bad they have THE toughest schedule in the nation (according to multiple sources including ESPN). LSU, Doc, is TOUGH this year. I think they are one of the few teams that can challenge Florida for the SEC crown.

If you want to watch a college football shootout, tune in for the UK UofL game this weekend.

Golf? I LOVE to play and watch occasionally-usually it just makes me sick to my stomach to watch guys like Tiger though-they are just so incredibly, unbelievably, impossibly GOOD. (I played a course one time that had just wrapped up some senoir PGA tournament-the greens were so fast it defies explanation-I can't believe anyone could putt on those...I was getting mad myself untill one of my friends  was putting and missed a 3 foot putt and it rolled literally 30 feet off the green. He followed the ball as it slowly trickled down the slope-cursing every step he took, and by the time  he and the ball came to a stop I was laughing harder than I have ever laughed in my life! LOL Then he broke his putter over his knee and I almost fell over!)

Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 01:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Doc, KO,

In my previous life as a sportswriter here in Lexington, I had the privilege of covering the U.S. Open in Pinehurst in both 1999 and 2005. One of the perks was to play in the media tournament, so I got to play Pinehurst No. 2 twice. I'm not a long hitter, shot a 111 in '99 and a 103 in '05, and was happy to do it.

Those camelback greens were extremely fast and nearly impossible to putt on. I might have broke a 100 in '05 except for the par 3 that I got an 8 on.

Got to play Pine Needles in 2001 in the U.S. Women's Open media event, shot a 92 and was tickled with that. It was a much more fair course for a golfer of my ability than Pinehurst No. 2. Might have broke 90 with a little luck. I'm a bogey golfer anyway.

I live for the majors but I have no problem with the FedEx Cup. It's bringing a measure of excitement to the end of the season and people are talking about golf in football season. Could be a great Tiger-Phil showdown this week.

Covered about 20 Greater Greensboro Opens over the years and got to play Forest Oaks once. We played captain's choice in that one.

Since I retired in December, my plan was to play golf at least twice a week. But reality hit and I've played only once since I've retired. What's wrong with that picture?

Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 02:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
David White

Mana: 

Doc:

We're 2-0 and I'm depressed, averaging over 400 yards given up to poor competition what happens when we go to Norman?  I shudder to think about it. I haven't seen good defense in the maroon and white for over 7 years now.  Everyone seems to be talking about our "lack of a vertical passing game,"  yes our receivers are weak and only the tight ends and running backs can catch but that is not the problem, it's still the doggone defense, no "Wrecking Crew" this year either.

Since I've been at games instead of watching them so far this season, I can only base my opinion on what I've read so far but I like the LSU pick for the championship game but I think USC stumbles this weekend vs. Nebraska so I'll go with OU and LSU. 

The Michiganers and Golden Domers in my office are remarkably and unusually quiet so far ;).

I like golf but those windmills play hell with my game :cool:.

Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 08:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Pvt

My number of posts tend to be inversly proportional to my rounds of golf. Hopefully can attain a better balance in the future.

Doc C

Posted: Wed Sep 12th, 2007 08:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

My favorite time of the year - great weather for golf, walking the battlefields; college football; the coming baseball postseason;

Doc C

Posted: Mon Sep 17th, 2007 07:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

David

Easy on those golden Domers ))..  Was born in South Bend and all of my family cept mom and dad are still there. Besides havnt you heard its a rebuilding year:P course that is what you always say when you team is 0-3 right .

As far as golf goes I  have played a few times with my brother in-laws but have never been what I would call good. But if you want to play on X BOX 360 I can play tiger woods golf with the best of em.

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 02:32 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
David White

Mana: 

Younglobo:

When I think Aggie fans are too impatient the TD Jesus crowd brings me back to reality.  According to my ND buddy, Weis is on the hot seat yet he has a sophomore and under line.  Willingham left the cupboard bare in the line.  Yet everyone wants Weis fired for not winning with underclassman.  It truly is a rebuilding time period for them, probably won't be competitive until the year after next.  If they fire Weis they start the vicious cycle all over again and if they don't fire him and just leave him dangling the recruits won't come if they think he will be fired.  You have to pick a horse and ride him for a while.

I'm not sure Franchione is the right guy for us but firing him means starting over for a three or four year period.  Damned if you do and don't.

Last edited on Tue Sep 18th, 2007 02:33 pm by David White

Posted: Tue Sep 18th, 2007 03:00 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

David
I agree whole heartedly , its like these numskulls think that he just forgot how to coach football, Hello idiots he has how many superbowl rings geez get a grip. Kind of like Michigan the are hearing the same screams on campus I bet might be better after sundays win against the irish though.

Posted: Wed Sep 19th, 2007 03:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

I don't think the Michigan situation is similar, Lloyd Carr has been stinking it up by Michigan standards for a while now and with his own players--he'll be history and rightfully so.

Posted: Mon Oct 15th, 2007 09:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

C! A! T! S! CATS CATS CATS!

I knew they had what I thought was the best offense in the SEC, but the amount their defense has improved from last year is amazing. Painful memories of the "bluegrass miracle" are insubstantial forever more. I can actually watch that game now, especially if I watch this last game following it. The only people who know how painful it is to be a kentucky football fan are cubs fans, they would understand the signifigance of this game to us. I know what its like to be on the other side (upset by an underdog), it happens practically everytime Kentucky is beaten by an SEC opponent in basketball. It is bizarre to be on the flip side of the coin for a change.

Sorry Doc, but there was no way I was not going to post on this board after that game. You still could be in the title hunt, after all (this is a crazy year). To beat LSU the way we did, no fluke (LSU played a superb game) at the end, is truly awesome. I have to say I lost some respect for the LSU coach when he compained about officiating, we beat them and square. Still, he doesn't deserve any criticism for play calling in that 3rd overtime-I thought the calls made sense-it just wasn't successful at the end.

Posted: Mon Oct 15th, 2007 09:20 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
David White

Mana: 

Watch out for Florida, Orphan I think they get you this weekend

Les Miles is a jerk and unethical to boot, he's headed to Michigan mext year anyway and LSU ought to rejoice at that prospect.

Pederson out today, Callahan tomorrow.

It's a tough year to have to be looking for a new coach in the off season like my Aggies and Doc's Bears will be. Nebraska fired the first shot today and they're looking at the same folks the Aggies are. A&M vs. Nebraska in the pink slip bowl this weekend in Lincoln, whoever hasn't sunk to the lowest level possible will pull it out. So long Dennis, don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

Posted: Mon Oct 15th, 2007 10:35 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Hey David -

Here's a shock for you - I actually watched 3 quarters of little-league football (umm, of course I mean college football) this past weekend. :shock: LSU vs. KY. That's 2 1/2 quarters more than I watched in the last 10 years. To be honest I enjoyed the game, but there's two rules that will keep me from watching it again.

First, that idiotic rule about the clock stopping with every first down. What!!! These people are all playing for the same thing - a chance to get to the pro's. So make them think like they'll have to when they get there. The entire game of football is about pressure. So use the clock to put pressure on them! ))..

The other ridiculous rule is how y'all do overtime. I could really go off about that, but it's so messed up, I wouldn't know where to start. #%$# And watch out for Hawaii ;)

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 12:02 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

If we were playing in the swamp, I would be really worried. Don't get me wrong florida is a excellent football team, but Kentucky has a very good shot at them since its being played in commonwealth. If Kentucky can score the way they did against LSU, they sure can score on florida.

I hate sudden-death overtime. The team that gets the ball first, owing to the flip of a coin, has such an unfair advantage. At least the college version attempts to be fair...

About the clock stopping? Why not do it that way? Just because the NFL does it another way doesn't mean that college should be compelled to do it that way. I really don't see the big deal-one way or the other. Change the college shot clock to the NBA shot clock, and get rid of metal bats in college? Would it change the dynamics? Sure. Change in a positive way? Thats debatable.

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 12:49 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

I dreaded playing at the UK the minute I saw the the schedule. Lot's a luck against the gators K.O.; Hope you don't come out flat like we did.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 01:09 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Thanks Doc, I just wish y'all played south carolina so you could beat the mortal crap outta Steve Spurriers team.

I hate the BCS system, it punishes schools like UK and LSU that play in monster conferences. The LSU-Kentucky game is proof enough of how tough it is to play in this conferernce. I look at what we have left on our schedule and just shake my head-we play more good opponents following the half way mark than most schools play in the entire year-and with the BCS we don't get rewarded for it either...

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 02:26 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

We did beat SC earlier this season. I agree with my friend Tim Brando from Shreveport that the BCS is a mess and the only way for a playoff to come about is the BCS becomes a complete disaster but you'll still have to get the idea across to the greedy college presidents and bowl officials. Maybe if the sec and big 12 gets screwed enough by the bcs and then pull out, that may attract a change. OSU, BC - who've they played of any significance thus far and in the future. South Florida, have no idea. Teams in sec constantly beat up on one another, extremely hard for a team coming out of the sec to be undefeated. If it does, then has to go to sec championship game.

Doc C

Posted: Tue Oct 16th, 2007 08:16 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Roger

Mana: 

I hope your all aware England play South Africa in the Rugby Union World Cup final on 20th October, much more important then baseball, basketball and... err.. "football". You should all know by now football is played by David Beckham:P:D

Roger

Current time is 07:17 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4257 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 25 queries executed.