Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Tasers in Schools? - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Nov 15th, 2007 03:59 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I heard on the news that parents were mad because the police officers had tasers. Parents were also mad because their kids had to have clear backpacks. The police officers have wands they use to make sure nobody has a knife or a gun. On teenager at a high school had a hunting knife and attacked the officer and in self defense the offifcer tased the student. The parents are having a uproar over this, they are saying that if the school or officers had any respect they would not wand them or make them carry clear bags. The student got expelled and the officers alright. What do ya'll think of these rules? I am a highschool student myself and I think its a good idea. You can never be to careful with these gangster people today.:shock:

Last edited on Fri Aug 29th, 2008 02:04 pm by Dixie Girl

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 04:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Dixie Girl,

You have brought up points that have, for the past three years, utterly broken my heart, as both A Parent of a Young Woman Your Age, and also as Someone Whom Believes in Civil Rights.

I think all this deserves more discussion.

We don't really need these, but could you give us more facts about the specific incident that you are relating?

As a parent, I have been called over three times in the past two years to be told that my daughter is "in lock-down".  Each time turned out to be a prank, but as a parent, the pain is unbelievable!

Please, tell us more about your experiences and thoughts on this subject.

Thanks,

JoanieReb

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 05:23 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

In the old days#%$#pulling a stupid stunt like bringing a knife to school would have gotten you punched out by any number of teachers (all of whom were called coach). And then you'd have to face your father when you got home.

I don't know when things changed, or even started to change, but they have. And I don't envy anyone who has kids in school these days. From a great niece, I hear that some colors may not be worn--gangs. From Dixie Girl we have police officers carrying tasers. Why in God's name do we have to have police officers in schools?

Seems like the good old days, although they may not have been that good, were somewhat simpler than they are now.

ole

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 05:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I took Young Miss shopping today, she found a beautiful new set-of-clothes (what I used to call an outfit);  then, I found a hat that set it off to a tee, and she agreed, but said it was a waste, as she couldn't wear it to school - all hats are now considered "gang-related".

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 02:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
David White

Mana: 

I think many of the kids in high school today need to be tasered on a regularly basis and if the parents complain, they need to be tasered too :cool:.

I know, flippant and tongue in cheek on my part but the real culprits in the problem will be punished by my solution.

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 03:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

School districts are in a no-win situation. Parents scream about clear backpacks, metal detectors and wands. They'll probably sue claiming violation of their kid's rights. First time they stop all the security precautions and some idiot sneaks a knife in and stabs someone, the parents will sue for not protecting their children. So what's the school district supposed to do?

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 03:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
David White

Mana: 

What about pepper spray first is that excessive force when a student is being non-compliant?

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 03:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Here lately there was a bomb threat in a middle school and a high school. The threats were pulled off by two brothers. They were both expelled. I understand why we need tasers. The officer in question was stabbed several times, one of which almost hit his heart. Most teens think they have a right to do what they want. I always ask my mama for advise and listen to her cause she knows whats best. Clear bags are the least of our problems today. If people cant deal with this they may as well drop out.

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 03:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

I tend to agree with you but I put more of the burden on the person who is non-compliant rather than the authorities who should expect a modicum of compliance to maintain order.  Why would you, for example, refuse to leave an area and go to the principal's office when an officer of the law is telling you to do that?

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 05:01 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
David White

Mana: 

No, I'd want to see his warrant but there is a difference between the public streets and the public schools.  But if he became a jerk about it I'd comply and report his behavior to his superiors. 

The schools have seemed to adopted an incorrect attitude that everyone has a right to attend public school and that just isn't so.  If you are on the grounds of schools you play by their rules that is why freedom of speech may be abridged in the public schools too.

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 05:07 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
booklover

Mana: 

Bama, no he doesn't have a right to taze you, but I think you are overstating the case here a bit. If you respectfully but firmly told the officer that unless he had a search warrant to look into your fanny pack, he wasn't getting into it, then he pretty well doesn't have a leg to stand on. The rogue cop image is always intriguing but most often non-existent (and I was a reporter who usually had most cops against me because I often pointed out when they screwed up).

As far as the school situation goes, any kid with a knife is dangerous. The idiot is lucky the cop didn't blow his brains out. I'm sorry but in this case I don't feel sorry for the kid. While some may rightfully argue that zero-tolerance policies can be taken to the extreme, they are well known in every school district in the country. No one can claim they didn't know it was against the law or school policy to bring a knife into the building.

Cops are put into dangerous situations every day, and most do not over-react. Some do. This one didn't.

Best
Rob

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 05:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

booklover I couldnt agree more. What you said is completely true. This cop was trying to defend himself so he had every right to tase this kid.

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 07:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Bama I have to disagree I lived several years in Rock Island... a far cry from upscale burbs of Chicago but an area w/ some really scary areas. THe Police I knew, and they were many were pretty decent guys. Yeah there are always a couple nutters in the mix but they are a minority wether in Brooklyn, Chicago or down home USA. There are good ones & bad ones and being as closely connected to what those guys have to do & put up w/... they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

As to the knife... cop should have put two to the body one to the head. The media & hollywood like to say there are always non lethal ways to deal w/ an assailant: shoot em in the leg, taze em. I've seen the after effect of a coked up 110 lbs junkie who ripped the door off a squad car... sorry some you have to put down and a policeman has the right to defend himself. One call to drop it, the next if the enemy does not comply is to drop them before they drop you.

I still teach my daughter & SD students to run TO the police or fire dept not away from them. They'll help more often than not.

Posted: Fri Nov 16th, 2007 08:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
j harold 587

Mana: 

First let me say as a retired state trooper I may not be as objective as some on the direction this thread has taken.  I now carry a tazer and a side arm. I am an adult probation officer. I also know there have been some news articles alleging that tazers have caused death.  There have been no confirmed deaths as a result of being tazed.  The suspects abuse of alcohol and drugs along with physical condition may be more to blame than a non lethal aplicaion of electicity. Tazers use less amps than paddles used to restart hearts. I have not used a tazer in the field. I was tazed as part of my training. I feel it is preferable to impact weapons, pepper spray, or physically subduing unco-operative suspects. Less probability of injury to the suspect and the officer.  

I have had deadly force used against me and I have used deadly force. In my experience 26+ years with the last ten in Highway drug interdiction most officers are in law enforcement to protect and serve. Physicians and clergy have a higher rate of undesirables removed from their positions. I do beleive in concealed carry by honest citizens.

Electonic searching, serveilance and officers in school are there to try to provide a safe place for education. I agree with the earlier post that much of the problem rests with the parents or lack therof.  

Current time is 05:49 pmPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2054 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 31 queries executed.