Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Santa Claus - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Nov 24th, 2007 11:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I heard on the news that parents want toymakers to quit making Santa Clauses fat. They say that it gives children the impression that its ok to be fat. They also want mall santa clauses to quit saying Ho Ho Ho. people are trying to say that its offensive to women and it scares children. I think this whole ordeal is stupid. It is not offensive. Santa Claus is supposed to be a fat happy man that says HO HO HO and drinks milk and eats cookies.

Posted: Sun Nov 25th, 2007 08:12 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
Roger

Mana: 

I've just about heard it all now. Do fat people and women find Santa offensive or is it idiots who think they might.
No need to answer that I already know the answer.

Ho Ho Ho Roger

Posted: Sun Nov 25th, 2007 01:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Santa is supose to be fat and say ho ho ho .  I remember as a child the Christmas the church I grew up in had a Santa that seemed to have forgotten his pillow and wasn't naturally chubby.  We heard the sleigh bells and the door opened in walked this skinny Santa.  None of us wanted anything to do with him.  He wasn't Santa.  It was scary .  The next year Santa was back to his old chubby self.  

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sun Nov 25th, 2007 05:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

I heard on the news that parents want toymakers to quit making Santa Clauses fat. They say that it gives children the impression that its ok to be fat.

Very true, Santa shouldn't be fat. It's also sex-biased, so Santa should be a woman. Therefore Santa should be a 36-24-36 woman (Preferbly with long red hair). Hey Santa, I've got cookies...+_

Posted: Sun Nov 25th, 2007 11:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Dang it!

I come back from a hard two weeks on the road followed by a serious Thanksgiving weekend only to discover that if I just had had 4 more inches of hair and 2 more inches of hips, I could have had cookies instead of this ***** pumpkin pie.:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Guess I'll go read the Civil War related threads, now....

;):D:cool::cool::cool:

Posted: Sun Nov 25th, 2007 11:57 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

JR -

If all you're missing is a little hip and some hair, my cookies are yours! Um, let me re-phrase that :shock:.

Geez, I hope the moderator comes in and yells at me for going off-topic - not to mention into the gutter :P:?

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 12:07 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Oh, Thank You, Joe,

And Thank God (It is Thanksgiving weekend after all!)

I haven't laughed out loud in a week, and just did, and it felt good.

Anyway, I'll go see about hair extensions and will apply the punkin pie directly to my hips in hopes of getting cookies.

See ya in the gutter!  But looking at the stars, or some such thing, right?

JR

Last edited on Mon Nov 26th, 2007 12:31 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 02:14 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

As I recall, the iconic adorable, fat and jolly old St Nicklaus that we have come to love and look forward to receiving in our homes is a fairly new image. Correct me if I am wrong, but that image we know comes from a Coca-Cola santa back in the  1930s or 1940s. He was specially designed for Coca-Cola ads, but became an instant hit.  

Before that time images of Santa Claus and the other names by which he is known could feature him wearing a wide variety of colors and designs of clothing other than the red santa suit with white fur trim. These traditional santas before the Coca-Cola prototype were not routinely fat and jolly though some were.

That said, the health police are carrying things too far if they try to put our beloved Coca-Cola santa on a diet and exercise program. They can't really believe the fat and jolly santa is what is making thirty-three percent of adult Americans obese. After all, he only makes seasonal appearances. Who do the health police blame for the rest of the year?

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 02:24 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

I did some checking and what I learned is that the modern (or Coca-Cola) santa was not revolutionary, but evolutionary. Some images of a red clad, long white-bearded santa were beginning to appear here and there as early as the late 1800s. However, Coca-Cola's gifted artist's rendition which first appeared in the 1930s and was already firmly entrenched in American culture by the 1940s is the one which seemed to have truly captured the American imagination.

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 04:11 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Cleburne Fan,

The modern concept of Santa Claus in America is generally credited to the famous cartoonist, Thomas Nast, beginning in 1863. As you said, Santa : "evolved' over time into what we have now with the Christmas holiday.

Here is the story of Santa Claus from Wikepedia:

Santa Claus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And here is a bio of Thomas Nast from Jayne McCormick's "Bits of Blue and Gray" website:

New Page 1

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 04:39 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
David White

Mana: 

I thought he died:

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 05:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Moore in The Night Before Christmas written in 1823 describes Santa as "jolly and plump, a jolly old elf" So Santa was fat  long before the Coke Santa. 

Last edited on Mon Nov 26th, 2007 05:11 pm by susansweet

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 05:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

People are to obsessed with offending others!!!!!!!!! Only idiots think Santa is offensive!!!!!!!As I've said before Santa is supposed to be fat, eat cookies, drink milk and say HO HO HO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a woman and I dont think its offensive. We all just need to face it. Some people are stupid.

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 05:42 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Dixie Girl, I hope your not being offensive to idiots.

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 07:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

My Christmas would not be complete unless I had the opportunity to join in and poke fun of Santa at our Swedish Lodge every year for Sankta Lucia.  "How much glogg has he had this year?!!"  It's a tradition.  If Santa aint plump, old, drunk and stumbling around the jul tree while mumbling Swedish obscenities, I'd be crushed. 

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 09:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
17th Post
ole

Mana: 

You're svenska? Figures.

ole

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 10:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

Nu Ar Det Jul Igen...

I make a mean meatball and rice pudding.  I'm actually going to the lodge this weekend for the smorgasbord and pagent.  Look for me, I'll be at the place where the parking lot is FILLED to the brim with Volvos. (Star boy's costumes and the culture of Inglewood, CA don't mix btw.  Lots of confusion.)  Ahhhh, good times good times.  My boys graduated from tompte to gingerbread boys.  Proud moment that will be marked with no less than 100 photos.  I would not miss it for the world and now my kids look forward to it every year.  My job has been accomplished. 

The Chef was always my favorite Muppet.

:D uff da

Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2007 11:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

Santa was at my wife's shops last weekend and he had a great ho ho ho...But.....He was a little thin and actually looked pregnent rather than fat...He had more of a beer gut than a belly...Maybe just a bad suit of clothes..But the kids still loved him...But when I was a kid Santa came to my house and he was fat and was smoking...Yea...That jolly old elf had some weed in that pipe and that is why he is so jolly...I actually promised him I would not tell if he gave me a hit...He wouldn't let me toke on that thing so now I am telling...Oh I am sorry for blowing his image to you all
but that Fat Old Guy keeps the good stuff for himself..

Huma

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 05:44 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

And so Johnny Huma clears up the mystery behind why Santa is so plump - it's the munchies!!!!!

(Perhaps this could be incorporated into an anti-drug commercial - lordy, the possibilities!)

Current time is 08:29 amPage:    1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4385 seconds (8% database + 92% PHP). 26 queries executed.