Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Santa Claus - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 02:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
21st Post
64thNYDrummer

Mana: 

I don't understand this thread, Santa is as Santa is, nothing can change his appearance. It has been suggested that I resemble Santa which I consider a complement.

Merry Christmas to all,
Dennis Conklin

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 03:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
22nd Post
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Having had the pleasure of meeting Dennis in person, I can verify he's the spitting image of jolly St. Nick!

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 03:24 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
23rd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

)).. Wait are you all telling me that Santa isn't a real person that lives on the North Pole has cool flying Reindeer and delivers presents to every good boy and girl every christmas ?? Worse yet folks that dress up as him are imposters !!! ahhhgg I am crushed.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 04:26 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
24th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

Roger, If I was worried about offending people wouldn't that make me a idiot to?

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 04:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
25th Post
Roger

Mana: 

Dixie Girl wrote: Roger, If I was worried about offending people wouldn't that make me a idiot to?

I can't answer that in case I offend someone. Maybe not you because I don't think you would be, but some do-gooder who's offended on your behalf.:D

Roger

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 05:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
26th Post
booklover

Mana: 

OK, enough of this frivolous nonsense! Let's ask a really important question, like why didn't that fat old bast**d bring me a BB gun when I was 10 (and no, it wasn't because I'd shoot my eye out).

Not a jolly elf
Rob

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 06:23 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
27th Post
Roger

Mana: 

You won't get anything this Christmas if you carry on like that:D

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 06:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
28th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Rob that is why I didn't get one when I was a kid .  I know my mom used that line long before the movie came out.  I wanted the Red Ryder one too not the girlie pink annie oakley model that they made for girls.   A few years ago a friend bought me a metal reproduction sign for a Red Ryer BB gun.  That is as close as I will ever get to one. 

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 07:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
29th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Susan
You sound bitter LOL . The wife still complains about not getting a easybake oven, I have been threatened to get her one on several occassions.

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 07:31 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
30th Post
ole

Mana: 

Neighbor kid got the lever action, Red Ryder model. Ours (sharing among three) was a breakdown single action. We kept the bbs in our mouth and we had to avoid getting our lips stuck to the muzzle when reloading. Nevertheless, we slew hundreds of sparrows. Did I mention cold?

ole

Posted: Tue Nov 27th, 2007 07:51 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
31st Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Bitter about the rifle?  No but ask me about the Doll from Hell I got that was named a Susie Walker.  I got that instead of a Saucy Walker which was the hot item that Christmas.  Mom always said I got it because Santa wanted me to have the one that had my name.  ( I found out many years later it was the cheap knock off version )  The dolls head fell off on a regular basis , it had very strange hair too. 

Susan aka Susie to family

Posted: Wed Nov 28th, 2007 02:58 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
32nd Post
David White

Mana: 

My parents have a classic photograph of me at age 12 when Santa Claus didn't come for the first time.  I am sitting in a chair with a long face watching my sisters play with their toys and I have nothing.

Soon after the photo was taken, my mom handed me a letter from Santa that had me on a hunt all over the house going from note to note telling me where to look next.  The hunt ended at a brown box that I opened and The long face changed to a big smile as it contained the three volumes of Lee's Lieutenants.

Posted: Wed Nov 28th, 2007 10:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
33rd Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Dang it!  It's NOT fair!

You guys have all these great stories about Christmas disappointments, whereas I had to have these picture-perfect childhood Christmases, complete with baking all kinds of goodies from scratch until the kitchen counters groaned, endlessly visiting friends and relatives, going carroling, and having a picture-perfect Christmas tree with everything I could ask for underneath.  I don't know how my parents did it - with three kids.  They sure have left me with a hard act to follow.

....anyway, now I feel deprived, knowing that they left me with nothing but great memories of Christmas and nothing to feel deprived about in that particular respect.....#%$##%$##%$#

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 02:36 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
34th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

oh I have the Christmas disappointment that tops em all. As a child of the 80's when I was about 10 or 11 my end all to beat all was a 3 wheeler. My mother being a practical joker on Xmas eve told me I was going to be very happy the next morning. I say well no big presents under the tree maybe just a key in a box. Well my mom had wrapped up a matchbox 3 wheeler for me and that was my three wheeler. I am still crushed. Come to think of it i did not get the star wars imperial walker I wanted either, by todays standards I should be in a clock tower somewhere with a high powered rifle. Oh in moms defense i did get a four wheeler (real one) 2 christmas later.

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 03:01 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
35th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

Whoa, Younglobo, I don't think that one can be beat....sheesh, I'm bummed out just reading it.  I recall that there were one or two times I didn't get the "big present " of my dreams, but mom or dad would nicely explain to me why not to expect it a week or two in advance, so it was cool. 

Unless there's someone out there who just got coal, I think that takes the cake.

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 04:06 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
36th Post
ole

Mana: 

We learned quite early that there was no Santa Claus. There was flat out no Christmas. The apple and some ribbon candy was more than gratefully received. Sorry. Can't share the deprivations each and all were dealt. We adjusted. And we got on with it. We expected nothing and that is what we got. But there was a great deal of family going on. That's not a bad thing.

ole

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 09:18 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
37th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

We have some very bitter people in here.

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 10:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
38th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

But there was a great deal of family going on. That's not a bad thing.

If it's good family, that is something, to be sure. 

Guess there are trade-offs.  I kid you not - or me, either - when I say that as a child, the 2-week Christmas season was as perfect as a child could want. 

On the other hand, my late mother left when I was seven months old and returned shortly before my fifth birthday, and I had no idea who she was when she walked in the door.  My Christmas memories start at age six.   Everytime I recall my late father, it is with a glass of whiskey or a beer in his hand, and he died of complications from alcohalism in his mid-fifties.  But he had a great work ethic and a good job, and we wanted for nothing.  And, for two weeks every Christmas, my parents put aside thier endless bickerings and created the best memories of my young life.  I still LOVE Christmas whole-heartedly. 

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 11:03 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
39th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

My twin brother down in Louisiana is in the cattle business making frequent trips to Brazil for his embryo business. Prior to his gastric bypass and >100 pound wt loss, his name down there was Ho Ho.

What I have I become going from secesssionism/states rights in the revolutionary period to talking about the Bee Gees and Santa Claus. Geeez.

Doc C

Posted: Thu Nov 29th, 2007 11:09 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
40th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

What I have I become going from secesssionism/states rights in the revolutionary period to talking about the Bee Gees and Santa Claus. Geeez.

Well rounded?  (Like Santa's belly!)

Current time is 12:46 pmPage:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.3552 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 26 queries executed.