Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

gun safes - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Thu Dec 20th, 2007 11:55 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Bama .. my wife bought me a guncase that looks like a cedar chest and it sits at the foot of our bed it can be locked and looks nice the wife got it at wally world if you want I can look up the name.

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 04:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
JoanieReb

Mana: 

I am glad to see this topic being discussed, even tho' it might be explosive (no pun intended). Anymore, I feel like, "guns, can't live with them, can't live without them", and I am NOT saying that to be funny.  Especially with teenagers around, it is an on-going concern to me.

Last edited on Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 05:02 am by JoanieReb

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 02:25 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

There is also a gun case on rails designed to fit under a queen sized bed. Quick & easy to acces in an emergency. As to a gun safe on 2nd or 3rd floor I would hope the floor is strong enough to hold it if not it's pretty poor construction. That said many safes have anchor points on the base designed for concrete wedge anchors. Mine is bolted securely to a concrete floor... would take a couple three sticks of dynamite to kock it loose.

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 04:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
7th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

reb I would agree with Bama wholeheartedley if all these school shootings were instead hammer beatings would we lock up and ban hammers, guns are tools you teach respect for them to little ones I was shooting when I was 5 and have fond memories of shooting with my grandfathers they taught me respect which I teach to my kids, the problem is video games and movies glorify and desensitise kids now days gunwise.

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 04:19 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
ole

Mana: 

If a thief is there to get your guns, the weight of the safe will not deter him. Most anything securely fastened so it can't easily be carried off will do. If it takes time and tools to open, it will likely deter the casual burglar. Upshot: I don't see the need for a 500-pound safe. I'd worry more about the home-invader than a sneak thief. And I don't want to be fumbling with a lock when the door is kicked in.

I wouldn't put the safe in the garage -- not so much for fear of rust, but for knowing that the garage is easier to break into than the house.

Mine are scattered all over the house and it'd take me a while to round them up, but that's about where we started with this thread, isn't it? It would cost you nothing to make a deal with your wife to keep them out of her way and not all in one place. Fortunately, mine knows where most of them are and knows very well how to use them.

Suppose I ought to look them up and make sure they have a nice thin coat of oil.

ole

Last edited on Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 04:38 pm by ole

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 04:33 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
younglobo

Mana: 

Ole.. Amen remember the movie Tremors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDUVnQCSuo&feature=related

LOL course my gun chase isnt quite that extensive, I love the 80's no political correctness

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 04:44 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
ole

Mana: 

I've watched "Tremors" more times than I've watched "Gettysburg." For a C-grade flick, it is strangely fascinating.

ole

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 06:38 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
ole

Mana: 

I have always believed that locks are designed to keep honest people out...so the stronger the lock the more less than honest people will be deterred. A heavy, well secured gun safe should keep all but the truly determined out...I hope!
Whatever floats your boat, Bama. I don't worry about it all that much.

ole

Posted: Sat Dec 22nd, 2007 07:49 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

I've been working electronics for most of 20 years now. My alarm system doesn't call the police. However, as the last time I set it off by accident and neighbors from two blocks away were complainig about the rackett I guarantee any thief will have pretty sore ears... and my cats will be PEEVED!!!

My gunsafe is in my basement; any house whould be able to handle a 500 lb footprint; if not it's pretty poor construction. Think about how much weight is in your tub when it's full... I keep two firearms and several knives close to hand. First round is a snap cap... the rest aren't. Depending upon the situation I may be more in the mood to use a knife... though getting the blood off the ceiling might be tricky.

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 01:38 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
ole

Mana: 

Bathtub is a good analogy, so is the waterbed I had upstairs for about 15 years. The analogy falls down when you compare footprints  IMO... I want to be sure

If you had a water bed up there, I don't guess a safe would be that much of a worry. JUst make sure all  the weight isn't on one stringer.

There is a snap cap in my scattergun. Put that in last, jacked it into the chamber and snapped it. (So the  pin spring doesn't have to sit tensioned for however many years that sucker sits in the closet.) Next step is that snick snack which all people, civilized or not, know what comes next. Run or beat me to the first shot.

Still don't understand the need for securing the guns. Secure the house. Insurance covers the guns. The major woman of the house likely has some items of adornment as precious to her as your guns are to you. Is she considering a safe for them?

A sheet-metal or finely crafted lockable cabinet will suffice. Don't be overmuch worried that your guns may be taken to commit crimes. There are others who can supply stolen arms much easier than yours. Lock them up. But if "they" want them, they will get them, no matter what you do. Save the money and get something useful.

And that's my opinion.

ole

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 03:34 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

I can't recall where I saw the underbed gun safe. I'm tempted to say Cabela's but am not really sure.

Ole; I like this... we are of one mind. You know me too well... or I've learned too well from you Sensei. Not sure which. Either way thanks.

Reason 2 for the snap cap is I have a little girl, she's not gonna touch any of my firearms and I don't think any of her friends will either but it's one extra precaution for me. Plus the military taught me to always chamber the first round and I would hate to eject a perfectly good round. Beside I think I'll just hand the shotgun to the wife and watch... frightened, shaking woman. Imagine the 911 call.

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 05:33 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Fuller
E Pluribus Unum

Mana: 

I LOVE Cabela's!  Great selection.  It's fun to look but on many items I've found they are a bit more expensive than other places.  We ended up buying ours at Wal Mart I believe.  Big Winchester model.  Not quite big enough to walk into but just about.  It's a nice nightstand I joke.  One modification that needs to be made is a lighted key pad would be perfect.  Other than that it's great for us.  It not only is filled with guns and ammo but also jewelry and important papers, i.e. social security cards, birth certificates, etc.  We've been invaded before and forget the "locked" file cabinet.  I was more worried about stolen personal info of ours than the missing ipod. 

Burglars would have to get past the alarm and the ferocious beagle before they could see the gleam of the beautiful pistol gripped shotgun.  Anywho, check out gun shows and ask questions.  Shop around and see your options.  My dad has a small one bolted down that holds several pistols.  It has a 3 finger combo that can easily be used at night and in high adrenaline situations.  (I joke that he should have only the middle finger used over and over for his combo...bam bam bam...open says me.)

I have kids and they are familiar with guns.  I taught them the way my dad taught me.  It's just I don't trust all the little curious friends that come over to play.  They need to be locked up here.  (My son proudly keeps his Red Ryder in there as well btw.)

The clip on this link is titled "Citizen-1 Criminal-0"...

http://www.jokeroo.com/funnyvideos/man_shoots_burglar_during_911_call.html

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 03:12 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
ole

Mana: 

Heirlooms do make a difference. Just put the safe on a load-bearing or outside wall.

ole

Posted: Sun Dec 23rd, 2007 10:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
Johan Steele

Mana: 

Another option is a floor safe, knew a fella in SC that hired a carpenter to come in from out of town. created a light trapdoor in the hardwood floor. It was so well done I looked right at the thing a dozen times (I was supposed to put in a 911 alarm panic switch) and I never saw it until he showed me.

I've also seen them buil into the back of a stairwell... coolest damn thing I ever saw. Switch to open it was in the light switch!

Current time is 03:48 am

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2113 seconds (11% database + 89% PHP). 31 queries executed.