Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Vicksburg and New Orleans - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 12:59 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
Regina

Mana: 

I'm all set to do some traveling during my week off from teaching in February and will be flying into New Orleans.  I've volunteered to do some hurricane recovery work with Habitat for Humanity, but will also have 2-3 days for sight-seeing.  So, obviously, I want to visit the Vicksburg National Park (there's also a Petrified Forest area right nearby that I want to see).  I'll have time to drive around New Orleans and find sites related to Andrew Jackson, and I might have time to drive the coast from there into Alabama. 

Does anyone have any other knowledge of "must-see" history-related sites?  Does anyone know where Jeff Davis was from--was it Biloxi?  I forget.  Thanks

Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 01:31 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
susansweet

Mana: 

If you are driving from New Orleans to Vicksburg you will go right by one of Jefferson Davis's homes in Mississippi.  ,  Along the way you will go by Laura Plantation and Oak Alley and Nottaway plantations,  Port Hudson ,  the Windsor Ruins , one of the largest plantations on the Mississippi which burned in the 1890's I believe.  , Then there is Grand Gulf and Port Gibson.  Just north you find Natchez which is a wonderful small city with a very moving Confederate section of the City Cemetary  The day I was there each grave had the Confederate Flag and the Metal Cross which the sun was reflecting off of them. The breeze was blowing the flags .  Longwood is a wonderful octagonal house that was being built as the Civil War started .  All the employees were from the North ,  They laid their tools down and left,  It has never been finished and has a very sad tale to tell. 

Jefferson Davis home is at Woodville , Rosemont Plantation one mile east of US 61 on State road 24   a family home of Jefferson Davis . 

Vicksburg don't miss the Cario.  

New Orleans the Confederate Museum, for Jackson Chalmette Battlefield (battle of New Orleans.   * I drove it with the Johnny Horton Song playing on my cd player. 

Also there is the statute of Jackson in Jackson Sq.  stop and have coffee at Cafe DuMonde

Oh and the Cabildo has a death mask of Napoleon .

Have a great time .

Susan

Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 02:18 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
ole

Mana: 

Jeff Davis wasn't from Biloxi, but his final home is there. Beauvoir (?) suffered some damage from Katrina, but I understand that repairs are proceeding and some of it may well be open to the public. There's also a museum/library in New Orleans, but I forget the name. Someone else will have it.

ole

Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 02:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Beauvioir is only open now to Members of the Sons of Confederate vets as far as I know from a friend that was there not long ago .  He was allowed in but others were turned away  this was last summer . 

Susan

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Sat Dec 29th, 2007 05:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ed , I had no idea the Jefferson Davis home on the Mississippi was on an island and private.  It was listed in a book I used before I took a trip up the river road a few years ago.  Due to spending "too much time " seeing other sights I by passed the plantation and sadly Port Hudson in order to get to Natchez before it was too late at night .  Thanks for the information .  I too wish I was going along with Regina .  sigh

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

I too fell in love with Natchez.  I stayed at the Comfort inn and suites across the river from Natchez under the hill.  Long story to make it short, the room I had reserved at the hotel in Natchez was not what I was told it would be and I could not stay there.  The suites although more than I usually budget was all I could find at that time of night .  It was well worth the price,  For two days at Sunset I sat in my suite looking out at the river flowing by.  I did not want to leave

Thanks for all the information about the Davis home , I was totally misguided by the book I read, I am glad I did not try to stop and visit. 

I met an interesting person at the museum at Grand Gulf.  We chatted for a long time before I drove around.  Then I drove down to the river and saw the marker that showed the height of the river there at different times.  Oh my!!!

Favorite eating place in Natchez was Pig Out .  Great barbque pulled pork. 

Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 03:20 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

Ted, I just looked at my travel notebook. The Jefferson Davis home I was talking about is at Woodville , Highway 61.  It says Rosemont Plantation 1 mile east of US61 on St raod 24.  Family home of Jefferson Davis , open 10-5 Monday to Friday donation 6.00.  Family moved here 1810  five generations of Davis family lived here. 

Is this the same place or are we talking about different plantations ?

Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 03:28 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
12th Post
susansweet

Mana: 

OH!!!! :D now it makes sense.  Glad we got that cleared up and darn I was hoping to visit Brierwood  one day .  Oh well.   One of these days I would like to get back to Mississippi delta .  I loved all the sites along the way  to Memphis . 

Take care, have a great New Years.

Susan

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 11:41 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

If you're visiting Confederate Hall then you can check out the World War II Museum across the street. Also, if you head west from N.O., the River Road plantations are worth the stop.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 04:21 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
ole

Mana: 

And there, Regina, you have a list to which you can't possibly do justice in 2-3 days. Suggest that you head directly to Vicksburg, taking in what places you can on the way. Check into the Battlefield Inn; spend a day at the park; spend another night at the Inn and head back, visiting what places you missed on the way up.

For an easy-to-read background, Try Ballard's, Vicksburg. Have fun.

ole

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 10:47 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
15th Post
Doc C

Mana: 

Regina

Don't know your epicurean pallate but if you want a list of good N.O. eateries ranging from $ to $$$ let me know.

Doc C

Posted: Sun Dec 30th, 2007 11:45 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
ole

Mana: 

DocC:

You're suggesting that Regina wallow in the NO eateries rather than venture out into the countryside, suffering the vagaries of edibles? Good advice. Travelling across another part of the US of A and expecting that your mea of choice will be anywhere close to what you have become accustomed to, is fruitless. If you are not so adventurous, get your burger at MickeyD's.

Regina, if you haven't been in the deep south before, prepare youself for culture shock. Do not order a pizza! Do not order a hot roast-beef sandwich. Do not come within a mile of "red-eye gravy"!

Nevermind. Half the fun of visiting is discovering the differences. Enjoy!

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 06:52 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
ole

Mana: 

Mudbugs? For goodness sakes, Regina can get a fresh lobster from a drive-through. She ought to be looking for gumbo and jambalya, and biscuits with sausage gravy. Although crawdads and beer does have an appeal.

ole

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 08:11 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Did I hear someone mention crawdads??....I just cooked a bunch up at my hosue the other day! My wife said I stunk up the place, but she's a Yankee and barely understands the fine culinary arts that I have brought up with me from Tennessee!

Just wait till I fix a mess of chittlins!!

As I recall, Gen. Beauregard's house was across from either an old convent or some hotel in the French Quarter. I want to say across the street from the Hotel Richelieu, but it's been 10 years since I've been down there.

As to food, there's a place in Kenner, LA called The Brass Rail....excellent oysters on the half shell. There's also a good restaurant in LaFayette, LA, right off the highway, as I recall, it's called "Don's".

Anywhere in Naw'Lins, I recomend a soft-shell crab Po'Boy, though I don't think they're in season yet.

Posted: Mon Dec 31st, 2007 11:08 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
ole

Mana: 

Now you've gotten me drooling, Albert. Except for the chitlins. I can't imagine any time I would work to "acquire" a taste for chitterlings. Life is too short to eat boiled pig guts. Or peanuts.

ole

Current time is 02:29 amPage:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4430 seconds (9% database + 91% PHP). 30 queries executed.