Civil War Interactive Discussion Board Home
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Oil Hits $100 a Barrel! - Idle Chit-Chat - The Lounge - Civil War Interactive Discussion Board
 Moderated by: javal1 Page:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  
 New Topic   Reply   Printer Friendly 
 Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 01:39 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
1st Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

For history lovers...oil hit $100  a barrel today for the first time ever. Ouch! I wonder how much higher it can possibly go.

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 02:17 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
2nd Post
ole

Mana: 

$200? And we are paying what everyone else is paying for a barrel of crude. It is not one price for us and another for the rest of the world. OPEC controls the price of  pretty much all of the oil in the world -- except ours, and Canada's, and maybe Mexico's. Opec countries slow down the pumping and the rest of the world has to pay whatever is asked to get a taste.

It's quite boggling. I am so glad that we elect people to look out for our interests. And, try as they might, there is no getting past the idea that we are currently dependent. We've drilled nothing new and have used nothing new in years and years. Nevermind that oil is a finite thing, and one of these days we must be shut of it. But we talk and we talk. It is not comforting that we can get 50 or 100 years worth of oil by tapping what we haven't. Yet. One hundred years gets me past the hard times, and maybe my grandchildren, but theirs start to get a bit mirky.

Does that sound green? Let me assure you that I am not a greenie. I'm not even a Sierra Clubber. But as chancy as it seems, there is an argument that we are going to hell in a handbasket. Although I'm personally inclined to scoff at that, I'm not so stupid as to toss it off. The ramifications are far too great to just make it a sound bite. We're replanting forests, and we're cleaning our water. We're looking at sustainable sources of energy and genetically altering crops to produce where they were never able to produce before. Are we replenishing our supply of oil? Ooops!

Enough soapbox.

ole

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 02:54 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
3rd Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Ole, I am a greenie, a tree hugger and a card-carrying member of the Sierra Club and National Wildlife Federation. That said, what worries me the most about the current price of oil are the types of countries that are getting rich as a result of these prices. For instance, Venezuela.

Strongman Hugo Chaves is using his oil wealth to further his agenda of uniting all of Latin and Central America and the Caribbean and anyone else who cares about it (Iran) against the US. He is using very little of that money to better his own country, modernize infrastructure, industry and agriculture.  

He is grandstanding in Colombia to secure the release of hostages held by FARK, but there is so much his own countrymen need.  

That is just one country getting rich off their oil even while they use the money for purposes that may come back to bite us sooner or later. It scares me. The comfy, cozy life and days of cheap oil we used to know may be over and it won't be convenient or easy.

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 03:53 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
4th Post
ole

Mana: 

Cleburne: Yours was such a thoughty post that I'm going to have to look at it tomorrow, if there is a reply. You're really good.

ole

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 04:57 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
5th Post
57oh

Mana: 

That my friend, is why many Wars have, and will be fought. OIL!

Posted: Thu Jan 3rd, 2008 07:50 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
6th Post
PvtClewell

Mana: 

And food.

Let me see if I'm getting the big picture. Research into biofuels is raising the price of corn and wheat to produce fuels that will still cost $3 per gallon or more. I see where the world's wheat surplus is already being depleted. Hmm. Hungry third world nations will be unable to purchase wheat and corn because now those items are getting more expensive.

Watch the price of bread and cereal get even higher in your grocery, not only because of the rising premium on the seed product, but also for the increased price in transportation costs.

Vicious circle. Kind of like the circle water makes going down a drain, I should think.

The science and technology of the West may or may not be able to provide solutions, but the West is distracted by anti-democracy, anti-globalization, suicidal religious fundamental extremists.

Maybe methane fuel is the answer because there sure seems to be a lot of crap out there.

You have chosen to ignore Bama46. click Here to view this post

Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2008 01:27 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
8th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Throughout history, most conquering nations kept the lands that they've conquerd......Not us; however. We gave back Germany and Japan....We gave back Afghanistan and now we're giving back Iraq.

Over 3,000 of our troops dead, countless injured, we send them food and medicine, rebuild their infrastructure and $80 billion (I think) spent per day.....What do we get in return?.....HIGHER oil prices!!

I think "someone", i.e. Arab nations, need to repay us for the war. If not, then I advocate cutting off ALL monetary, medicinal and food aide to that region. An earthquake in Turkey??.....Awwww, so sorry.....Unrest and violence in Iraq???.....Kill each other, we're going home.....

Personally, I'm tired of the rest of the world pissing on the United States, then comming to us with their hands out begging for help....

Am I being "politically correct"??....I don't care if I'm not!! There are those who would argue that my being "nationalistic" is wrong....I argue that loving my country is right!!

Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2008 05:30 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
9th Post
ole

Mana: 

Albert: You are one sumbitch. And I go pretty much along what you said. We are the biggest, baddest, element in the international scene. This world thing is ours.

And, with that, is an enormous responsibility.

Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2008 05:36 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
10th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

One thing for which we can be thankful is that even with the outrageous prices we are paying, at least we do not have a shortage. We can still buy all the gas at the pump that we can afford to buy. We are not having to wait in two block-long lines to buy gas as we did in the past or after a hurricane in Florida. I am grateful for that.

Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2008 05:54 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
11th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Cleburn,

I'll hafta agree with you that we're thankfully not being rationed anything or suffering shortages!

I guess I'm just tired of the prices of everything going up.

Ole, in regards to your comment about responsibility, I'll agree also. To take it a step further, we should be rewarded for the responsiblity we take, but we're not......We're spit at, called "infidels", threatened....anyway, I said all that before, so I won't get on my soapbox now.

Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2008 08:13 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
13th Post
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

Oil at $100 a barrel....Then we should sell our exported corn, grains, etc. at $100 a bushel!....If you desert countries want to eat, it'll cost ya!! Otherwise, live off of all the sand you have!! I understand desert locusts & honey are quite tastey!!

Posted: Fri Jan 4th, 2008 10:53 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
14th Post
ole

Mana: 

And back atcha, Fan. A unique and factual observation. If it is to be done, WE  have to do it.

So. Don't anyone ever come on here and say THEY are responsible. WE are.

Posted: Sat Jan 5th, 2008 02:55 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
16th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Bama, that would require international cooperation because many products, especially agricultural products are subsidized by the governments of the countries in which they are grown. Also, these governments have wage and price controls, different labor laws, and so on, all of which impact the price of goods and services.

In order to achieve what you suggest, the entire world would have to agree that absolutely no government control anywhere would be allowed or that all governments would have the same degree of government control on industry, agriculture, commerce and trade.

I just don't foresee the world's arriving at that level of global cooperation in our lifetime. In fact, the only scenario in which I can imagine global agreement on that scale would be if we were attacked from outer space or had to fight a pandemic on a scale of historic plagues.

Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2008 05:15 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
18th Post
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

I wish I had a barrel of that 100.00 oil (or ten.... hundred) whatever comes first.

Posted: Sun Jan 6th, 2008 11:43 pm
   PM  Quote  Reply 
19th Post
ole

Mana: 

Government is the problem!
It is and it isn't, Bama. We've gptten to a point where we don't get to make the rules anymore. The world needs the oil that we have gone to great lengths to see that it gets it, because if the world don't make money, we don't. We're very much mixed up in how the glogal economy works. That might not be healthy or desirable, but that's where we are. We no longer function without the influence or markets of this globe. Things have changed. We don't make nothing. We buy stuff. And I don't exactly know where we get the money to buy it, but we somehow do.

I don't know where we're going from here. We have the biggest, baddest military force in the world. If we wanted, we could push around almost everyone we wanted to push around. But that day is ending. Something new must be hiding just beyond our grasp. There's a new order lurking out there and we need to be looking for our place therein.

I don't see in our current crop of candidates anyone quite ready to assume the leadership needed to secure our place in world governance. They niggle and waffle. I see none of them ready to meet our challenges for the future. We can dither with rights and universal pacifiers, but we seem to have forgotten where we want or ought to be on a global scale. That is where we ought to be focussed.

There is going to be some major fighting before the world settles into something even and placid. And I'd rather it involved more than American blood to make that happen. Unfortunately, it seems that we are the only ones who care.

ole

Posted: Mon Jan 7th, 2008 12:30 am
   PM  Quote  Reply 
20th Post
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Bama46 wrote: No Fan,
Take the word government out of your argument and see what is left.
things are the way they are ONLY because we allow them to be....
If the US Government got out of commerce tomorrow, markets would form, goods would flow and we would be a hell of a lot better off...
Name just One ....One.... thing the government ever did that was as good as or better than private business or private individuals coud do

Government is the problem!

Well, I could write thousands of words on this subject, but to cut to the chase, I just don't see where an environment of pure free enterprise would reduce the price of oil. In fact, with no trade restraints or government  regulations on commerce, agriculture and industry, oil might cost EVEN more than it does now.

Current time is 06:01 amPage:    1  2  3  Next Page Last Page  

UltraBB 1.17 Copyright © 2007-2008 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.4338 seconds (6% database + 94% PHP). 31 queries executed.